Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:21:55 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  David Foster Wallace « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: David Foster Wallace  (Read 1432 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: August 20, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »

Back in college it seemed like everyone I knew who talked about this writer either excoriated the man like he was the reincarnation of Hitler, or people would take on this positive but strangely cult-like pedantic tone when discussing him, usually saying almost the same things about him word for word, yet no one seemed to exactly discuss his work either way, it was as if the man himself was the focus, not his output. So I didn't like what either side was saying and I never felt drawn to his books.

Lately though something weird is happening and it's like God himself wants me to read Infinite Jest (nooooo) because I keep encountering it referenced in conversations, on bookshelves, in the most unlikely places again after not seeing it or hearing about it for twenty years.

Odd.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »

I didn't hear much backlash against him until recently, and it's all coming from women and I don't understand why. It's not like he's anti-feminist or misogynist or anything, he just seems to appeal more to a male perspective. I remember I read through IJ and gave my mom specific pages to read so she wouldn't get too confused.

I'd say start with the essays in "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" and decide if you want to continue. He does write about tennis a lot (I gather he was very good, not good enough to go pro but close).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, Greg. I also was given a posthumously collected anthology of his essays and ruminations, one concerning a tornado coming down on him and his friend who were playing tennis in Illinois, sending his buddy into a chain link fence so forcefully it left an imprint of the kid's face in the fence itself. (Wonder if I could've taken DFW on-court?)

As for the ever-yapping disapproval of feminists? Blah, feminism's a joke.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »

Yeah, I point out he's not anti-feminist to alert you that you may not dig him for that reason.  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 08:54:36 PM »

Fist-bump and karma for that one!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  David Foster Wallace « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.