Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:17:25 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Taking a break from Facebook « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taking a break from Facebook  (Read 2214 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 06, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »

I was off FB for almost two years, came back and enjoyed it for a while. Then Mom got sick, I'm having issues both medically and mentally - a certain member of my family nearly drove me to suicide in early August with the pressure she (as a normally nice person and mom to two good kids) put me under. Not many people know that, but I don't mind that you guys do.

So, I'm now off there: not for good, but things have just gotten too much on there. I will now bury myself in work as I usually do when bad things happen and I will hang around here more often.

A life coach I know - a famous actress all of you do know - told me that the experience I went through can either knock me down (which it did) and if I get up from it (which I have so far done) I can use it as a springboard to better things.

I'm not much of a diver but I think the springboard will do fine.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »

I saw your post on Facebook the other day, Trevor.  Didn't have a chance to reach out then.

But, you can message me anytime you need to talk.  Here, obviously, since you'll be off FB, but you can reach out there as well if needed.  Obviously, there's a time difference from where we live so I may not see it right away, but I will respond as soon as I see it. 

Mikey: "Sock it to me baby!" kills me every time.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »

I'm not taking off from FB just yet but I did recently end my participation in another message board site where I had been a member for 14 years.  It was so worth it because the place had become down right toxic in the last few months.  Slept better after I did that than I had in quite a while.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »

I saw your post on Facebook the other day, Trevor.  Didn't have a chance to reach out then.

But, you can message me anytime you need to talk.  Here, obviously, since you'll be off FB, but you can reach out there as well if needed.  Obviously, there's a time difference from where we live so I may not see it right away, but I will respond as soon as I see it. 

Mikey: "Sock it to me baby!" kills me every time.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
http://youtu.be/Ou4WjrToor4

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I had a feeling it might have been that clip: incidentally, Judith Hoag spoke to a lot of us on her page and I was the second person she spoke to.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »

I'm not taking off from FB just yet but I did recently end my participation in another message board site where I had been a member for 14 years.  It was so worth it because the place had become down right toxic in the last few months.  Slept better after I did that than I had in quite a while.

I have a feeling that is part of my issue with FB: if your opinion doesn't fit the norm, you've got trouble.

Unlike here where we can disagree about things and no flame wars result except when people complain to me that I need to do laundry sometime.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:12:32 AM by Trevor » Logged

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »

I suspect social media is overall an unhealthy place for a lot of people (my mother discovered it to her detriment), and I bet you feel better away from Facebook, Trevor. Hope things are brightening in your life.  Smile

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »

I suspect social media is overall an unhealthy place for a lot of people (my mother discovered it to her detriment), and I bet you feel better away from Facebook, Trevor. Hope things are brightening in your life.  Smile

I really started to feel uncomfortable there and I haven't missed it thus far: my sister called me and asked where I had gone to - I told her I needed a break and she has my number and can call anytime.

I know this sounds weird but I wish we could go back to work soon: working from home is really getting me down.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »

I should just add this page is not social media as far as I'm concerned: just a bunch of friends who chat about movies and related subjects.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »

I had to get away from Facebook. I can't deal with it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »

Yeah, sometimes keeping busy isn't a bad thing. Plus I think you love what you do, don't you?

My break from work is almost done too and while I don't dread going back I'm also going to miss being able to be with my family as much as I have this summer. One feature of my work is the uncertainty, things come up, sometimes I'm away for longer times than others, that makes it hard to be able to do a lot of long-term planning. For a time in the late 2010s I was off so much I actually was able to work on the side with my father which I enjoyed, but the last almost year it's been constant busy-ness til this summer, and coronavirus closed things down to where working with my dad wasn't an option the last couple months, sadly. Hey, hopefully only one more year to go, and I can turn into a low-key, homebody pumpkin if I want, work with him, do nothing, write that thought atlas I've always wanted to, or do all sorts of things. That keeps me going!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »

Yeah, sometimes keeping busy isn't a bad thing. Plus I think you love what you do, don't you?

Yes, I like helping people with the work I do: one of my clients was grateful for the assistance I gave him, so much so that he put a picture of me in his book.

loot.co.za/product/leon-van-nierop-daar-doer-in-die-fliek/jsbk-3449-g310

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Taking a break from Facebook « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.