Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:56:33 PM
714418 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I bought Lethal Weapon 2 a few days back! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I bought Lethal Weapon 2 a few days back!  (Read 3296 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 06, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »

Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

This miserable POS film has haunted me since 1989: it was supposed to be this huge anti-South African film but it - like when Cry Freedom was unbanned a year or so later - became a big local box office hit.

At least now I have a nice coffee table coaster as I only paid ZAR10 ($1) for it  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 03:28:59 PM »

I was going to write : "Poor you!"  But you get it. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:00:54 PM »

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »

TeddyR TeddyR

After the censors here passed it uncut (with a huge age restriction) the SA public embraced it and made it a box office success.

The SA Consul General in Los Angeles was quoted as saying that "it was a ugly film".

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:47:53 PM »

TeddyR TeddyR
After the censors here passed it uncut (with a huge age restriction) the SA public embraced it and made it a box office success.
The SA Consul General in Los Angeles was quoted as saying that "it was a ugly film".

For us average Americans, it's just annoying. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 12:45:30 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR

The film gives the impression that most people from SA speak with atrocious accents and do a little bit of drug running and Kruger Rand smuggling on the side. The filmmakers must have groaned in disbelief when the film did very well here at the box office and it remains the only anti-SA film to ever be a financial success: all the others, like Cry Freedom and A Dry White Season flopped. 

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 02:53:18 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR

The film gives the impression that most people from SA speak with atrocious accents and do a little bit of drug running and Kruger Rand smuggling on the side. The filmmakers must have groaned in disbelief when the film did very well here at the box office and it remains the only anti-SA film to ever be a financial success: all the others, like Cry Freedom and A Dry White Season flopped. 

It’s a very odd phenomenon. Steven Seagal’s On Deadly Ground (1994) had a similar effect in Alaska. It is a terrible movie on every level imaginable. Nothing in the film that portrayed Alaska was accurate; we do not all ride on horseback up here, our Native villagers live in houses not deerskin huts or igloos or whatever those were supposed to be, etc.

Yet despite all of the crap reviews, it still made over $38 million of its $50 million dollar budget back. While technically a flop by box office standards, it didn’t do as bad as it deserved to do. I personally love the movie now because it is so bad and manages to do an equal job in offending Native American culture. Steven Seagal is such a magnanimous prick in this movie.

Check out this hilarious old 1994 review: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-03-04-ca-30062-story.html%3f_amp=true

------------------
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »

I dare anyone to top the awful BONES episode in which they travel to Argentina. I'm honestly unable to feel offended by something this trivial, but it did gave me some good chuckles. These reviews pretty much sum it all up:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3205978/reviews

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »

TeddyR TeddyR

Okay Trevor, this question has been bugging me since last night. Aside from the Prawns and the gigantic UFO parked over Johannesburg, how accurate was District 9 (2009) in portraying South African city-dwellers? Are they really that cynical and apathetic when it comes to extraterrestrials?  TeddyR

------------------
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 04:03:45 PM »

Okay Trevor, this question has been bugging me since last night. Aside from the Prawns and the gigantic UFO parked over Johannesburg, how accurate was District 9 (2009) in portraying South African city-dwellers? Are they really that cynical and apathetic when it comes to extraterrestrials?  TeddyR

Everyone was taken for a ride regarding that film: people thought it was a sci-fi film (one of SA's first) but it was actually an anti-SA film made by an idiot who obviously had a terrible time growing up here. I left after 30 mins and asked for (and got) my money back.

SA city dwellers are, for the most part, nice people, especially the people who live in Johannesburg, the New York of Africa. If Johannesburgers can help you, they will but mess with them..... well.......  Buggedout

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »

Everyone was taken for a ride regarding that film: people thought it was a sci-fi film (one of SA's first) but it was actually an anti-SA film made by an idiot who obviously had a terrible time growing up here. I left after 30 mins and asked for (and got) my money back.

SA city dwellers are, for the most part, nice people, especially the people who live in Johannesburg, the New York of Africa. If Johannesburgers can help you, they will but mess with them..... well.......  Buggedout

I almost walked out of the theater too when I first saw this in 2009. I’m one of those rare people that did not like The Blair Witch Project (1999) when it first came out, and that whole “found footage” genre never really appealed to me after that bad movie masterpiece Cannibal Holocaust (1980) which, in my opinion, was the only “found footage” movie that ever did it right. District 9 (2009) came dangerously close to becoming yet another “found footage” movie until it finally and wisely went “real world” on us after about an hour into the film. I liked how they ripped off some ideas from the Half Life 2 video game when it came to some of the alien weaponry, and the Nigerian warlord and his gang were hilariously bad.  TeddyR

------------------
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 07:26:47 PM »

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »

BounceGiggle TeddyR

I wish I could give you karma for that.  TeddyR

Sidebar: Joss Ackland (Arjen Rudd) spent many years here as a theater actor and the film's cinematographer Stephen Goldblatt ASC was born here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:49:47 AM by Trevor » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I bought Lethal Weapon 2 a few days back! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.