Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:40:48 PM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ****. EVH :( « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ****. EVH :(  (Read 2206 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 07, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »

Damn, what a year.

I've been looking back at youtube videos of Van Halen, especially from the 80's and 90's.
Eddie looks so young and so full of life and joy.    Surely he and Eric Johnson would be the two greatest arch magi of the guitar world, of their generation...
What a loss.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »

I agree. In fact I pictured him as still being young like in those '80s videos, and the fact he was sixty-five shocked me almost as much as hearing he had passed. I think he and Brian May were both probably better than Hendrix, and I predict Van Halen's legend is going to grow now to where he outshines both those men.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »

I agree. In fact I pictured him as still being young like in those '80s videos, and the fact he was sixty-five shocked me almost as much as hearing he had passed. I think he and Brian May were both probably better than Hendrix, and I predict Van Halen's legend is going to grow now to where he outshines both those men.
I've had that happen so many times with celebrities.  I picture them as they appear in whatever movie or show I knew them from and just get taken back by the fact that they actually managed to age. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »

No. I am a metal head  and punk rocker from way back when. There's better stuff. Eddie! He was a great technician.
Hendrix was much better. And Jimi didn't have many years- but he's still a legend.

Small | Large

Jimi put soul in his git.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:16:01 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »

Of his generation, RC.  Hendrix woulda been in his late 70's this year.

I think Hendrix is incredible... but we're into matters of taste.   I grew up listening to the 1984 album and the like...
I hear the chords Eddie plays in Summer Nights and I'm back in my teen years, good memories.

Diamond Dave, Van Hagar, it's all been good to me.  My brother likes the 5150 album best and I can't disagree there.

I love Eric Johnson too.   He didn't achieve fame in the way Van Halen did, but he's a f**king wizard.

I don't know what technician means... I guess it means, EVH didn't make music so much?   I vehemently disagree.

Know what I mean?

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 06:09:28 PM »

^ I get your point!
A technichan is somebody who plays very good- but needs more soul.
You can do things to a git but- I don't know! I Think I'm wrong!
Eddie is a master.
And I misspelled all sortsa s**t!
Comparing is not fair.
I don't know who Eric Johnson is! I'm curios!
Listen to Dr.Know of the Bad Brains! You might like it!

Small | Large

Stranger things have happened in the universe!  Thumbup

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:27:29 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »

Eric f**king Johnson.

His biggest hit was "Cliffs of Dover."  This is him in '93 playing it at someplace in Texas.
The intro is a few minutes of improv, and the bridge of the song is improv'd but the rest is generally the same.

Tone like an electric violin.

I heard him play in person two winters ago in Seattle and he can still play unbelievably well.

So here's the video to try.  He plays a slow intro and the song itself kicks in at 3:45... the bridge he just cuts loose and shreds.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:10:00 PM by Zapranoth » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »

^ That's fantastic.  Buggedout

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ****. EVH :( « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.