Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:33:29 AM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Should Everything be Online? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should Everything be Online?  (Read 3453 times)
pacman000
« on: June 09, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/maybe-the-internet-was-a-spectacularly-bad-idea/ar-AAKQVBP?ocid=msedgntp

Article about recent cyber attacks.

Here's a thought: maybe it would be a good idea if some parts of the economy and indeed our civilization were sectioned off so that they weren't so damnably vulnerable?

Yeah, I know... cybersecurity breakthroughs and best practices... You know the drill, but let's be honest: if it were possible to program our way out of this mess, would not someone would already have managed to do it? But instead we're devolving from bad to dire.

By worshiping at the altar of interconnectivity, we have created, and become entirely dependent upon, a fragile ecosystem that's frighteningly easy to break.

I might say leaving mission-critical systems offline may be the best practice, as long as said system doesn't need the Internet to function.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »

In 1983, Hollywood wanted us to believe that some teenager with an IMSAI 8080 with a 300-1200 baud modem could somehow commandeer the nation's entire nuclear arsenal...
Then some kids started trying it, and they got caught....

In 1999, somebody started this crazy rumor that all the computers in the world would reset, & all the electricity & technology in the world would shut down....
My first computer class, the instructor showed us how to change the date & time, & proceeded to explain how that was impossible...

Yes, nuclear power plants have been getting hacked, but in each case, a live person was paying attention, and was able to prevent any sort of disaster, by switching to manual, having an override code, etc.

I'll admit, I don't know how pipelines or chicken plants work, but each could've switched to manual, but chose not to as they didn't know how long it would take...
To me, this says a lack of manpower & poor planning....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
pennywise37

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »

hell no everything should not be 0nline. as i always say anything could be hacked anything, some people have said well they have and this to prevent it and they go into detail but i believe that if you find the right hacker who is truly a Bill Gates kind of guy or a Genius a computer tech and literally speaks computer codes etc... and they decide to hack into whatever for fun or for money than they can find a way to hack into whatever they have to prevent it.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 01:14:09 AM »

I 100% distrust “cloud” technology for this very reason. When I used to sell electronics back in the day right when the “cloud” was becoming a thing, I would mention what the “cloud” actually was to my customers; just some anonymous computer server or servers out there in cyberspace somewhere, and the manufacturer of whatever product that they were asking about that had online or “cloud” access that would inevitably ask these customers to store their personal and private data; be it photos, tax information, or otherwise personal information on their company servers or even worse, a third party company’s servers, and the customer would have no control over what happened to said information or data after they consented to it. Most of the time the customers would proceed with the purchase anyway, but I would get the occasional customer that would wait to “think about it.”

Hey I’m just as naive and guilty of succumbing to the “cloud” as the next person; we all succumb to it the moment that we log on to the internet and I wouldn’t be posting here if I wasn’t, but I like to think that maybe I helped at least one person be a little extra cautious before putting themselves out there into cyberspace like that. Needless to say, my sales numbers were never very high in that career.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
pennywise37

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 02:35:15 AM »

it's just common sense my friend much like they also don't realize that you have really no privacy anymore i mean you carry your celly on you pretty much at all times if someone is looking for you and can't find you etc.. all they need to do is have the phone company ping your cell tower and see where you are at.

i don't really use the cloud either sure there are some things i''m sure i do have it on there but i try not to use the cloud if i can help it.
pacman000
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »

In 1983, Hollywood wanted us to believe that some teenager with an IMSAI 8080 with a 300-1200 baud modem could somehow commandeer the nation's entire nuclear arsenal...
Then some kids started trying it, and they got caught....
Greetings Professor Falkon...

In 1999, somebody started this crazy rumor that all the computers in the world would reset, & all the electricity & technology in the world would shut down....
My first computer class, the instructor showed us how to change the date & time, & proceeded to explain how that was impossible...
We had a computer who's clock stopped on 11:59, 1999. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to accept any date/time past 1999. That's not a problem if it's a DOS machine you got for free to play games & type, but if it was a communications satellite you'd have something to worry about.

Yes, nuclear power plants have been getting hacked, but in each case, a live person was paying attention, and was able to prevent any sort of disaster, by switching to manual, having an override code, etc.

I'll admit, I don't know how pipelines or chicken plants work, but each could've switched to manual, but chose not to as they didn't know how long it would take...
To me, this says a lack of manpower & poor planning....
[/quote]A good point. A lot of these plants are computerized to reduce labor, so if the computers fail, there's no one left to run them.

Both the Y2K thing & the labor thing happened because someone considered costs incorrectly.

Y2K - Someone designed a system in 1960, 1970, or 1980 to last 5-10 years. At the end of it's expected life, the system was still working, so no one replaced it. Fast forward to 1999, & some one realizes their computers will start printing bank statements dated 1900 instead of 2000, & they have a panic attack. They then drag someone who knows Vendor COBOL-71 out of retirement to change a few lines of code for a lot of money.

Labor - "Replace people with machines! It'll be cheaper!" The machines fail; they loose $100,000 a day till the machines are fixed.
LilCerberus

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »

^That's very enlightening.^

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
pacman000
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/a-single-fastly-customer-changing-their-settings-triggered-the-giant-internet-outage-that-hit-reddit-spotify-and-the-white-house-s-site/ar-AAKTAnf?ocid=msedgntp

"A single Fastly customer changing their settings triggered the giant internet outage that hit Reddit, Spotify, and the White House's site"

There was a wide-spread internet outage a few weeks ago, triggered by a content delivery service having some hiccups.
pennywise37

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 02:32:23 PM »

while in theory for some jobs i can see robots doing it but on the other hand that same job a robot can only do so much you have to program the robot and if it's a job that will screw quite a bit up you still have to have a human program it and what it that robots parts become obsolete ?  plus anyone see that x-files episode where Scully and Mulder go into someplace to eat and the robots that are running the place go haywire and start killing people? while i dunno if robots would start doing that but they would go haywire.

either way over human's doing the work when it comes to the labor for like over 90% i dunno the percentage at all so i'm just throwing a number out there but i agree it's cheaper to just hire someone to do it rather than have a robot do it cause it can take days at times for a human go to get around to actually fix it and cost the place a bundle. though if it's always had a robot doing the job that's different i just mean if robots took over a job for a human, plus it doesn't occur to them that if robots took over the jobs for humans how will anyone make a living and put food on the table weather for their family's or themselves if they live alone?
LilCerberus

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 03:51:57 PM »

ADHD
I keep wanting to bring up Maximum Overdrive, but there's too many parts that don't make sense....

pennywise37

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 08:54:18 PM »

that's one of all time favorite films of all time
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 12:28:51 AM »

ADHD
I keep wanting to bring up Maximum Overdrive, but there's too many parts that don't make sense....

The "origin" story in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) is what I was thinking of. For such a silly movie, that particular part when all the machines inside the base started to become self-aware and began mowing everybody down was pretty cool.

------------------
pennywise37

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 03:04:17 AM »

that's the last one i saw actually funny enough and i saw that on the big screen i remember liking it but it had a terrible ending. it's not among my favorite films of all time either
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 03:53:54 AM »

that's the last one i saw actually funny enough and i saw that on the big screen i remember liking it but it had a terrible ending. it's not among my favorite films of all time either

The movie becomes much better when you realize that the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008) TV show effectively cancels out Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) in its own timeline, like the movie never happened.  Cheers

------------------
LilCerberus

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »

Them voter machines.....
Some folks sez they are, & some folks sez they aint, & some folks sez somebody can, & some folks say it's impossible, even for a district registrar with the passwords....

But either way, I feel a whole heluva lot more comfortable knowing there's a paper trail!!!!!!!!!

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Should Everything be Online? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.