Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:15:40 AM
714526 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies your folks wouldn't let you see? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies your folks wouldn't let you see?  (Read 2802 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 28, 2022, 11:55:33 PM »

My folks wouldn't let me see The Towering Inferno: I was about seven then and it was probably a good decision looking back. That elevator scene  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 12:16:53 AM »

Nothing. They would pack us up and drop us off at any double feature-just to get us out of their hair. Which was good. I saw many cheap horror movies in the 70's that way.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:19:37 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 01:19:18 AM »

Evil Dead. No idea why, I'd seen much worse before and after.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 01:56:38 AM »

Nothing. My mom loved horror movies so I grew up watching horror movies at the theater at an early age  Smile

Is it October yet?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:07:56 AM »

DEEP THROAT.

But no R-rated movies, my mom started taking me to horror movies with her around 12: I remember seeing THE SHINING and THE HOWLING in particular.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »

my Mom would not let me watch Helter Skelter when it was on TV
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 09:18:42 PM »

My folks wouldn't let me see The Towering Inferno: I was about seven then and it was probably a good decision looking back. That elevator scene  Buggedout
Hee hee hee... JENNIFER JONES as a hanky... you do realize it's poop?

Of course, in the 1970s, a lot of "bad" movies were broadcast on network TV.  If our parents were out on Saturday night, my mother would call and ask: "You're not watching that filthy movie are you?"  Thank you Mom for always reminding us to watch sh!t like BORN INNOCENT or ROSEMARY'S BABY or THAT CERTAIN SUMMER or VALLEY OF THE DOLLS ...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 09:23:41 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 11:04:11 PM »

Funny, I remember being told I couldn't watch a TV show but I can't think of any movies I wasn't allowed to see. I could also read anything without restrictions and listen to any music I wanted. All that makes the fact one tv series was snatched away from me even odder in retrospect.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Cult_Moody_Movies
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 03:02:06 AM »

My parents didn't let me rent or watch rated R/horror movies (outside of 50's sci-fi, PG- 13 fair or kaiju films) when I was younger. This changed around my 13th birthday when they let me see True Lies.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 03:58:03 PM »

I got one: my Mom refused to let my brother and I see Star Wars (!) during its initial theatrical run in 1977 because it was rated "PG," and to her that meant "there must be sex in it," and therefore we were not old enough for such things. (My bro and I were about 7 and 8 at the time).

No matter how much we argued, begged or pleaded, she would not bend. So we missed out on a shared experience that pretty much every other kid in our generation took part in (some more than once). So yeah, thanks a LOT, Mom.

Oddly enough, Mom had no problem with us playing with Star Wars toys, reading the Marvel comic adaptation, or the paperback novel, etc., etc., so we knew the story backwards and forwards before we ever actually saw the movie, but it wasn't quite the same, obviously.

By the time Empire Strikes Back rolled around in '80, my parents must have decided that we were now "old enough" for such things, so we did get to see that one in the theater. I remember when we walked out at the end of the movie, my Dad said "That was really good! Now I wish we'd seen the first one!" -- I swear, I wanted to KILL him right there in the parking lot.  TeddyR

We did finally get to see the O.G. on the big screen when they re-released it around '81 or so, which placated me somewhat, but y'know what, my bro and I still bring this up to Mom every once in a while, umpteen years later, just to let her know that we haven't forgotten or forgiven.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 12:02:16 PM »

Wow, STAR WARS. That's rough, FFC!  Bluesad

I'm 45 and my parents were famously permissive about my early 80s TV watching. I think I was 5 when I caught most of the first 30 minutes of AMERICAN WEREWOLF on HBO, which is of course the best/scariest part of the movie... the opening scenes on the moors, the home invasion nightmare. I might be recovering from that latter one even now.

Nevertheless there were at least two films (among hundreds of inappropriate titles) that I was not allowed to watch until I was 12yo: APOCALYPSE NOW and BLUE VELVET. Still not sure why they drew the line at those. I didn't have much awareness of or appreciation for who David Lynch was until TWIN PEAKS premiered, and although I get why BLUE VELVET might have been inappropriate, I found it rather mild once I got around to it in 1990. Likewise APOCALYPSE, which I had read about and anticipated for many years. At that point I was a couple years away from my home video viewing of FULL METAL JACKET, which legitimately disturbed and bummed me out (though constructively, as it convinced me to avoid all military recruiters in perpetuity). Maybe should also mention that I'd been hosting 5th and 6th grade sleepovers where I would screen the likes of RE-ANIMATOR and FROM BEYOND to other 10 and 11 year olds... clearly the cow had left the barn early.

In my parents' defense, I'll cite Peter Harris, a boy I went to school with from K through 12th grade. Even into high school, it was a well-known amusement that Peter's overprotective mother would only allow him to watch "Sesame Street", "321 Contact", "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood", etc. As soon as Peter got out from under his mother's clutches, he was busted in his first semester of college for getting blackout drunk and committing thousands of dollars of vandalism to public property. Me, I'm still on the loose and my rap sheet is clean. So.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »

Believe it or not, almost nothing! I saw movies like The Devils, Alien, Halloween, and others.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 07:28:25 AM »

They never told me I couldn't see a specific movie, luckily, because we used to watch a lot of horror movies with my friends.

Although I distinctly remember my mom covering my eyes while we were watching PUPPET MASTER, during the scene in which two characters are having kinky sex in the bed, and Leech Woman shows up. Awesome stuff right there. I may have been 8 or 9 at that point.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 12:52:33 AM »

Although I distinctly remember my mom covering my eyes while we were watching PUPPET MASTER, during the scene in which two characters are having kinky sex in the bed, and Leech Woman shows up. Awesome stuff right there. I may have been 8 or 9 at that point.

That's a pretty good scene at any age.  Cheers
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »

Nothing. In fact, they took me to the drive-in to see stuff like The Exorcist and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex . . . But Were Afraid to Ask. And they allowed me to go to the drive-in with my friend's family to see The Godfather.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies your folks wouldn't let you see? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.