Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:34:07 PM
714453 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Smoking (cigarettes/cigars/pipes) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Smoking (cigarettes/cigars/pipes)  (Read 2234 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 17, 2022, 08:09:36 AM »

I made several comments in a random thread that sparked some discussion about smoking. Thought it might warrant its own topic. Do you/did you smoke, what do you think about smoking, and should it ultimately be banned?

I started smoking at 18 when I was depressed and didn't care what I was doing. Regret that. At first it was just a bummed smoke when I was drinking. One day I noticed I was hooked when I reached for a cigarette without even thinking about it. Every other time I planned to smoke.

Tried to quit many times over the years, or to substitute cigarallos or a pipe. (I still like the very occasional cigar or pipe). Had some brief success (a few months) with the patch. The only thing that worked was switching to vaping. I am still addicted to nicotine, but I'm not taking in all the tar and carcinogens. And my breathing has noticeably improved, enough so that I was able to start serious cardiovascular exercise and drop more than 30 pounds.

Cigarettes are the worst drug imaginable: tremendously addictive, gives you deadly diseases, and gives you nothing in return. You don't even get high off them! And since they don't seriously impair your daily life like recreational drugs or alcohol, they sneak up on you as you're getting hooked.

Obviously, if they were introduced today they would never be approved. It's hard to see them having too much black market appeal, either. You obviously couldn't ban them outright right now with so many addicts out there who are good citizens, but public policy needs to continue to slowly discourage this habit. I personally and selfishly wish more governments would embrace vaping as a harm reduction alternative, but I can ultimately see they're side of it: stupid kids who wouldn't smoke do take up vaping because it's seen as cool and rebellious. And even though vaping is less harmful than smoking, it's unstudied in the long term and there's no reason for anyone to take it up other than as a less harmful substitute for cigarettes.

Anyway, your smoking stories/history/opinions?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 08:55:26 AM »

Smoking never held any appeal to me at any time in my life. Neither of my parents smoked, and later when I was involved in athletics, playing tennis, minoring in PE, smoking was seen in that culture as close to demonic. I hate the smell of burning tobacco, to be honest, and there was a time when I was in England, in close proximity to a man who smoked almost his every waking minute, and I had headaches for weeks because of that until one day I guess my tolerance increased and I didn't notice the effects so much, just hated the smoke for other reasons. And then I can't forget smoking killed my grandpa whom I loved with all my heart. I think if he hadn't smoked he might've lived another fifteen years instead of succumbing to SCLC.

No, I also don't think banning tobacco is the answer. History has shown prohibitions aren't very successful, and would turn millions of people into criminals. I have been glad to see most major grocery store chains have quit selling tobacco products, and I am also glad smoking is at record lows and possibly on its way out on its own.

When I lived in Kentucky for three years as a kid, we'd take "Sunday drives" in the country, and I swear, it was like tobacco ground zero, as it seemed like every single farm had tobacco growing there.

Anyone who ever kicked a smoking addiction, you have my admiration.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 09:25:07 AM »

Taxing it certainly doesn't do anything to discourage it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 09:30:59 AM »

Taxing it certainly doesn't do anything to discourage it.

I'm not sure about that. Nic addicts will pay pretty much any price per pack, but high prices could deter new users from trying it.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »

Did from 2001 to 2003. Then again during a very stressful time in 2006. Never since.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 10:32:10 AM »

I smoked from 1987 until 2009: I've not had a puff since.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 12:25:10 PM »

Yes, I smoke.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 03:35:11 PM »

What about the strange phenomenon of the part-time smoker? I've known a few of these. They genuinely seem to smoke only on occasion, partaking as someone might a drink but not making a habit of constant use. They appear able to "enjoy" a smoke and then not keep it up. Is there a word for that?

And my friend's dad who bounced back and forth for a quarter-century smoking then quitting, repeating this over and over, months of smoking, months of abstaining. What's that called, if it has a name?

I think with him it was his addictive nature, addiction to drinking, drugs, success in his sales work, he even claimed later to be a sex addict. But he hasn't smoked in a long time now, not for a couple decades, except very, very rarely for old times sake he'll take a cigarette someone offers him.

Point is, smoking brings out distinct patterns in people.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 04:57:26 PM »

Never have, never wanted to, never will.

Nothing but pure poison with no benefit I can see.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 05:33:24 PM »

What about the strange phenomenon of the part-time smoker? I've known a few of these. They genuinely seem to smoke only on occasion, partaking as someone might a drink but not making a habit of constant use. They appear able to "enjoy" a smoke and then not keep it up. Is there a word for that?

And my friend's dad who bounced back and forth for a quarter-century smoking then quitting, repeating this over and over, months of smoking, months of abstaining. What's that called, if it has a name?

I think with him it was his addictive nature, addiction to drinking, drugs, success in his sales work, he even claimed later to be a sex addict. But he hasn't smoked in a long time now, not for a couple decades, except very, very rarely for old times sake he'll take a cigarette someone offers him.

Point is, smoking brings out distinct patterns in people.

First one is a non-addicted smoker. Everyone who smokes starts out as non-addicted; it takes regular use over a period of time to become addicted--your brain has to become accustomed to it as a regular thing. It's relatively easy for cigar or pipe smokers to stay non-addicted because they partake infrequently.

The second guy is just an addicted smoker who keeps relapsing.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 08:44:37 PM »

I was never a smoker (not of tobacco, anyway... *cough cough*  TeddyR) , but I was a hopelessly addicted user of smokeless tobacco (aka "Dip," i.e. Skoal, Copenhagen, etc.) for more than twenty five years till I finally gave it up for good in 2003. It was a ridiculously stupid, filthy habit and nowadays when I look back on it, I wish I could reach back in time and slap my younger self for ever getting started on it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 10:38:18 PM »

What about the strange phenomenon of the part-time smoker? I've known a few of these. They genuinely seem to smoke only on occasion, partaking as someone might a drink but not making a habit of constant use. They appear able to "enjoy" a smoke and then not keep it up. Is there a word for that? ...

That sounds like me.  I rarely "desire" a cigarette and often don't smoke for days, even weeks.  Yet I buy cigarettes every month or so; I can't be denied.   Social drinking with cigarettes in bars was the extent of my habit for many years.  I never smoked in any home of mine and 30 years ago lived with a smoker.  I then and still have a great sense of smell and cigarettes are stinky, particularly later.  If I smoke it's in the garage. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 07:46:33 AM »

What about the strange phenomenon of the part-time smoker? I've known a few of these. They genuinely seem to smoke only on occasion, partaking as someone might a drink but not making a habit of constant use. They appear able to "enjoy" a smoke and then not keep it up. Is there a word for that? ...

That sounds like me.  I rarely "desire" a cigarette and often don't smoke for days, even weeks.  Yet I buy cigarettes every month or so; I can't be denied.   Social drinking with cigarettes in bars was the extent of my habit for many years.  I never smoked in any home of mine and 30 years ago lived with a smoker.  I then and still have a great sense of smell and cigarettes are stinky, particularly later.  If I smoke it's in the garage. 

If was like that at first too, and if I had really understood how addiction worked, I could have kept it up for a lifetime like you did. But it's hard to see that line between where it's just something you do and when the addiction actually takes hold, but daily use (with cigs, multiple times a day) is a pretty good indicator.   

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »

If was like that at first too, and if I had really understood how addiction worked, I could have kept it up for a lifetime like you did. But it's hard to see that line between where it's just something you do and when the addiction actually takes hold, but daily use (with cigs, multiple times a day) is a pretty good indicator.   

It always amazes me to see how many people are addicted to coffee and don't realise it. Hint, if you can't get started in the morning until you've had your first drink, then you are most likely addicted.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 09:09:59 AM »

I have lots of things about me open to criticism but I don't seem addiction-prone. I don't drink coffee or soft drink, don't smoke, very seldom drink, don't see a lot of appeal in drugs, don't gamble for money, and I'm not sure why the addictive tendencies like those skipped me, because I know if there's an addiction gene, it's somewhere in my family DNA. I guess some things come down to luck and not as many try to say,  morals, and inheriting a predisposition to addiction seems one example of playing the hand you're dealt. You can make it better or worse depending on what you do.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Smoking (cigarettes/cigars/pipes) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.