Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:25:00 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Quick question. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Quick question.  (Read 2019 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 14, 2023, 12:55:41 PM »

Just for a conversation, I am having at the moment, could someone tell me what the 14th Amendment refers to? Don't need any depth details just a quick summary of what it is about.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 01:06:42 PM »

Just for a conversation, I am having at the moment, could someone tell me what the 14th Amendment refers to? Don't need any depth details just a quick summary of what it is about.

It's got something to do with USA citizenship.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 01:07:05 PM »

“All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.”

It was meant to settle the argument as to whether former slaves & their children were citizens...
Nowadays, it's used by immigrants (including both legal & illegal) to ensure that their children are citizens...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 01:36:18 PM »

It's actually got a lot of stuff in it, four separate clauses. It's probably the most broad-reaching amendment outside of the original bill of rights. Most important is the guarantee of due process and equal protection to all citizens of the United States. There's also the citizenship definitions the other posters were talking about. Currently it's in conversation because of a relatively offhand and out-of-context mention of federal debt.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 01:39:15 PM »

Thank you for that.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 02:40:57 PM »

Arguably, the 14th. amendment is why the ERA of the 1970s was largely redundant.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
LilCerberus

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 03:01:09 PM »

I think that's what the 19th amendment was for....
In 2018, when I was at WRWK, an activist did one or two shows about how ERA was never fully ratified due to lack of support...

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 04:00:39 PM »

ERA was completely redundant and a silly idea.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
LilCerberus

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »

I once heard that ERA would've set women back, but I was never clear on how...

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 05:51:09 PM »

The 14th Amendment was one of the Reconstruction Amendments passed after the Civil War to clarify the status of freed slaves.  It declared that -

"all persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof are citizens of the United States, and of the state in which they reside."

It also tried to ensure the civil rights of the freedmen would be respected by stating that:

"nor shall any state deny to any of its citizens the equal protection of the laws, nor shall any state deprive any citizen of life, liberty, or property without due process of law"

It also stated that any state which denied the right to vote to any adult male over the age of 21 should suffer a reduction in its representation in the House proportionate to the amount of votes denied,

And said that those who engaged in armed insurrection against the United States could be disenfranchised and denied the right to run for public office.

Tragically, after Reconstruction ended, virtually all the provisions of the Amendment regarding Civil Rights were vigorously ignored by the South for the next century, and the courts decreed that the Amendment, rather than protecting the rights of freed slaves, instead decreed that corporations were legal persons entitled to all the civil rights that the Amendment intended to protect for the freedmen!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 05:54:47 PM »

^ As said by the man who should know!  Thumbup

And said that those who engaged in armed insurrection against the United States could be disenfranchised and denied the right to run for public office.

Why can Trump run???  Question

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 06:39:34 PM »

^ As said by the man who should know!  Thumbup

Why can Trump run???  Question

Because Congress has to impose that disqualification by a majority vote, and the Republican party is run by gutless cowards who are too afraid of getting primaried out of office to stand up to him!  By all rights, he should have been marched out of the White House in handcuffs on Jan. 6!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 06:46:29 PM »

So far, only two people have been charged with seditious conspiracy, & nobody's been charged with insurrection...

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 09:45:40 PM »

So far, only two people have been charged with seditious conspiracy, & nobody's been charged with insurrection...

Four were CONVICTED of seditious conspiracy just this last week - and they weren't the first:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/four-oath-keepers-found-guilty-seditious-conspiracy-related-us-capitol-breach

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 12:26:36 AM »

They need to charge f**king Trump.

Speaking of- dig this-

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Quick question. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.