Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:12:51 PM
714483 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  New Oscar Rules « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Oscar Rules  (Read 3722 times)
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 17, 2023, 12:27:57 AM »

https://nypost.com/2023/06/16/oscars-voters-new-diversity-rules-for-best-picture-are-crazy/

Starting with the March 2024 awards, movies will not be considered for a Best Picture nomination unless they feature a lead or significant supporting character from an “underrepresented racial or ethnic group,” have a main storyline that focuses on an underrepresented group, or at least 30% of the cast comes from two or more underrepresented groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ or the disabled).
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 05:55:22 AM »

Simply ridiculous.  NONE of those things have any overall bearing on the artistic quality of a film.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 08:05:43 AM »

I'm all for diversity and inclusion but these new rules are nuts.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 09:58:28 AM »

Insanity rules the world.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 10:35:52 AM »

Not a good idea, confusing, and widely unpopular. But in practice, the criteria aren't that hard to meet, since the definition of "underrepresented group" includes women. The NY Post article is misleading by leaving out a couple of other easy ways a film can meet the requirements.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/oscars-inclusion-rules-sparking-debate-1235343128/

Any movie that has one significant female character in it is already halfway to qualifying. A movie with an all white male cast and crew can even qualify, if there are at least two women/LGBTQ/minorities on the marketing team and the distributor offers paid internships for women and/or minorities.

Again, still not a good idea, but it's not likely to actually exclude any movies from consideration. “When we looked at it, we realized the bar isn’t that high,” says a source at a streamer. “So far there hasn’t been a film of ours that hasn’t cleared it.”

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 01:04:57 PM »

It's really f**king moronic. I mean, f**k- all movies- even COOL HAND LUKE, had a woman in it.
I mean- even f**king BIRTH OF A NATION- which is horrifying- had women and black folk.
As far as gays- Rock Hudson, James Dean, Marlene Dietrich, Antony Perkins- I could go on forever.
Stupid.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 01:08:11 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 02:54:18 PM »

if the underrepresented are adequatey represented, then are they still underrepresented?

it's such a subjective term.

not that I give a dolphin's tummy banana about the oscars.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 03:49:24 PM »

if the underrepresented are adequatey represented, then are they still underrepresented?

it's such a subjective term.

not that I give a dolphin's tummy banana about the oscars.

TeddyR TeddyR

I only watch the Oscars if a South African has been nominated in one category or another.

Jim H

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 11:53:15 PM »

Not a good idea, confusing, and widely unpopular. But in practice, the criteria aren't that hard to meet, since the definition of "underrepresented group" includes women. The NY Post article is misleading by leaving out a couple of other easy ways a film can meet the requirements.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/oscars-inclusion-rules-sparking-debate-1235343128/

Any movie that has one significant female character in it is already halfway to qualifying. A movie with an all white male cast and crew can even qualify, if there are at least two women/LGBTQ/minorities on the marketing team and the distributor offers paid internships for women and/or minorities.

Again, still not a good idea, but it's not likely to actually exclude any movies from consideration. “When we looked at it, we realized the bar isn’t that high,” says a source at a streamer. “So far there hasn’t been a film of ours that hasn’t cleared it.”

Yeah, there's a lot of outs, that was what I thought when reading the exceptions.  Big studio pictures will have zero issues qualifying with just a tiny bit of paperwork and a few bucks if they want if they realize they don't during production.  Funny how that works.

I do find it odd to even think about how LGBTQ qualification works, as much of LGBTQ identification is effectively subjective.  You can drop in and out of it, and people do.  If you identify as part of the LGBTQ spectrum DURING production and then stop after, do you qualify for the standard or not?  What about the inverse?  Figuring out if your movie can get an Oscar nomination shouldn't remind me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-9bU9dTuc

Actually, for that matter, how do they determine if you're a minority for this stuff?  By the US census, Middle Easterners are white, but in usual Hollywood reckoning they're not.  Is Keanu Reeves a minority because he's like a third Asian?  If a film didn't qualify initially, but then an actor did a DNA test and found out his ancestry is mixed, what happens?  Joe Manganiello just found out his grandfather was black - by the usual American one drop rules, he'd qualify.  Is it self identification?  What if someone lies?

Just seems like a lot of silly headaches, and won't change a thing. 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 08:08:45 AM »

Yeah, there's a lot of outs, that was what I thought when reading the exceptions.  Big studio pictures will have zero issues qualifying with just a tiny bit of paperwork and a few bucks if they want if they realize they don't during production.  Funny how that works.

I do find it odd to even think about how LGBTQ qualification works, as much of LGBTQ identification is effectively subjective.  You can drop in and out of it, and people do.  If you identify as part of the LGBTQ spectrum DURING production and then stop after, do you qualify for the standard or not?  What about the inverse?  Figuring out if your movie can get an Oscar nomination shouldn't remind me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-9bU9dTuc

Actually, for that matter, how do they determine if you're a minority for this stuff?  By the US census, Middle Easterners are white, but in usual Hollywood reckoning they're not.  Is Keanu Reeves a minority because he's like a third Asian?  If a film didn't qualify initially, but then an actor did a DNA test and found out his ancestry is mixed, what happens?  Joe Manganiello just found out his grandfather was black - by the usual American one drop rules, he'd qualify.  Is it self identification?  What if someone lies?

Just seems like a lot of silly headaches, and won't change a thing. 

Some directors and producers have reasonably complained that it's not exactly polite to ask everyone in the crew to disclose their sexual orientation. "Johnny, are you gay? We really need two more gays... oh, sorry, you sounded gay to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 02:17:15 PM »

I am cold 🥶

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 12:05:29 AM »

^ Are you sure you're posting in the right thread, Trev?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 02:17:03 AM »

I'm so cold I'm posting everywhere  Wink

chainsaw midget

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 11:26:45 PM »

"Johnny, are you gay? We really need two more gays...
"Well, would you like to be?"
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 02:31:50 AM »

I'm so cold I'm posting everywhere  Wink
sweetie, i have to ask, why are you so cold, isn't there heat in your home?

don't EVEN...EVER!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  New Oscar Rules « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.