Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:22 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Atragon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atragon  (Read 1658 times)
StatCat
« on: June 13, 2002, 05:23:53 PM »

Anyone familar with Atragon, the 1963 Honda movie with manda who later appears in destroy all monsters? I've found copies of yog, king kong escapes, the gamera films and several other Japanese monsters but this film seems to be the hardest for me to come across a copy of. Any realiable place out there that has it? I'd like to hear what other people think of it too if they have seen it.
Gerry
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 05:32:57 PM »

I can't help you find a copy (haven't seen it myself), but I can point you to a good review of the movie:

http://www.scifilm.org/reviews/atragon.html
Cullen
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 06:28:05 PM »

Bad Movie Report has an excellent review, too.  Check it out: http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/atragon.html
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 01:51:48 PM »

ATRAGON was released in the United States by American International Pictures (AIP). This is just a thought, but now that MGM has bought the rights to the AIP film vault they might have the American version of ATRAGON. Hell, they might have GODZILLA VS. THE THING, GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER, and FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD since AIP also released these.

I suggest e-mailing to MGM and tell them the fans would like to see these films finally remastered on DVD in widescreen. Even though these would be the American dubbed versions, they are just as good. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD and ATRAGON have never (and I mean NEVER) had a legit home video release here!

So e-mail MGM to get these four Japanese flicks out there. Even reccommend a "Double Feature" release of GODZILLA VS. THE THING with GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER and ATRAGON with FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD.
StatCat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 04:39:29 PM »

Thanks for the links, they were pretty helpful.

I actually have widescreen copies of godzilla vs the thing (simitar released a dvd with both versions, not perfect but not bad) godzilla vs the smog monster (the sci-fi channel runs it sometimes i've also heard they have lbx uncut versions of megalon, gigan, and mechagodzilla. They must of just started to run those, I've only seen the regular versions on before.) and frankenstein conquers the world- subtitled version from laserdisc I'm guessing. What about war of the gargantuans? I'd say thats more related to frankenstein conquers the world. I would like to see newer dvds of all of these though and I didn't know that. They would make good choices if they have them. It's worth a try so i'll go see.
StatCat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 04:40:45 PM »

I actually have widescreen copies of godzilla vs the thing (simitar released a dvd with both versions, not perfect but not bad) godzilla vs the smog monster (the sci-fi channel runs it sometimes i've also heard they have lbx uncut versions of megalon, gigan, and mechagodzilla. They must of just started to run those, I've only seen the regular versions on before.) and frankenstein conquers the world- subtitled version from laserdisc I'm guessing. What about war of the gargantuans? I'd say thats more related to frankenstein conquers the world. I would like to see newer dvds of all of these though and I didn't know that. They would make good choices if they have them. It's worth a try so i'll go see.
StatCat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 04:41:08 PM »

StatCat
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 04:43:38 PM »

did not expect it to post that many times, sorry about that.
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2002, 11:27:55 AM »

Atragon. Gotta love it. Mu frogmen in silver scaled wetsuits, Manda the rich man's Reptilicus, a good solid Kaiju star cast, imploding subs, and, of corse, the star of our shoe, Atragon. What Q-branch would build if they had the budget. Hope it comes to dvd, man.
Chris K.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2002, 12:25:07 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, start e-mailing MGM to release the American International Pictures version of ATRAGON since MGM owns the AIP film vault. Yes, it won't be the original Japanese version. But, it's really better than nothing.

So start e-mailing to MGM!
StatCat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2002, 03:51:26 PM »

Have you ever suggested it to them or to release anything else? I never have before but I was going to today after I check through their site. I doubt they will bother to listen but who knows. That would mean they have the x from outer space and some others too because I believe AIP had those too.
Chris K.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2002, 09:26:40 PM »

AIP's branch off company AIP-TV was responsible for releasing THE X FROM OUTER SPACE. But it was only released to TV here in the states.

And yes, I myself have e-mailed to them about releasing these kajiu egia titles that AIP released. But, I have not recieved a response. MGM is known to respond to their fans, but I think it takes a great deal amount of people to request for the specific titles.

Another way is to start a petition to get these films released by MGM. Look at the upcoming DVD of THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD. That was achieved by petitions. So if anybody out there is reading this, start a petition to get ATRAGON, FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER, and GODZILLA VS. THE THING on MGM Midnight Movies DVD.

And another way to get MGM's attention is to at least e-mail them the same message 20 times a day. That way, they will be able to respond. Just a suggestion and I have never tried it.

So spread the word!
Musukogoji
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2002, 02:45:45 AM »

Let's put ti this way: if there were two movies I'd choose to introduce someone to the world of kaiju eiga, it woul dbe "Godzilla '54" and "Atragon".

"Atragon" (known in Japan as "Kaitei Gunkan"-- Undersea Battleship) is a masterpiece of of it's two directors: Ishiro Honda doing live action, and Eiji Tsuburaya doing special effects. Tsuburaya's effects are top notch (except for some of the Manda footage, but Manda is cool enough in his own right to excuse it). Honda's direction is solid, crisp, and never boring. The characters are great; it features the best performance ever of Jun Tazaki as Admiral Shinguji (Tazaki is best known for playing generals in other Toho movies), who created Atragon.

I suggest you get a hold of it at all costs. I have never seen the movie English dubbed (not that I really want to), but the Japanese subtitled version is divine.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Atragon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.