Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:13:03 AM
714433 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What makes a Christmas Movie? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What makes a Christmas Movie?  (Read 1433 times)
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 04:42:20 PM »

I have no horse in the "Defining A Christmas Movie" horse race -  but for the record/for Rev....... the first DIE HARD is a nicely executed man-against-the-odds action thriller w/ predictable but satisfying character beats. Each sequel was diminishing returns, however, and I honestly kind of hated DHWAV. After DH2, which was known colloquially (and briefly officially) as DIE HARDER, naturally I was expecting a.) DIE HARDEST, and b.) a film at least remotely in the same league as the first two. I actually think DHWAV is weaker, lazier, and less exciting than A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD! Sadly the producers were only ever interested in occasional cash-ins, not in delivering an ultimate/culminative outing for John McClane. And sadly we'll never see a DIE HARDEST now, at least not w/ Bruce.

Anyway I used to like to watch old epic war films (KELLY'S HEROES, DIRTY DOZEN, etc) at Christmastime, or otherwise FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS (snowy locale, jingling bells, so festive!), or otherwise SHOCK TREATMENT (bright neon, jingling synths, so festive!). So yeah, my input is no help whatsoever.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 10:34:23 AM »

2 things:

1 - if the movie takes place around Christmas

examples: Die Hard, Eyes Wide Shut, Batman Returns, Trading Places

2 - if it is a more traditional Christmas movie where Christmas it is central to the plot

examples: It's a Wonderful Life, The Nightmare Before Christmas, A Christmas Story, Elf

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 09:04:46 PM »

I don't consider DIE HARD a Christmas movie. I dunno.

I like ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS, and NATIONAL LAMPOON's CHRISTMAS VACATION! and of course the Karloff Grinch.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 03:23:36 PM »

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2023, 03:29:47 PM »

Here ya go- if you dare! (I seen it. Holy f**king Christmas.)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 03:56:13 PM »

Photographed by a mentor of mine 😳😳😉

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2023, 04:46:57 PM »

I did see this last year

that thing is unusually awful

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2023, 06:59:17 PM »

It does look to me like some people only want replies that say what a great alternative to christianity is. Christmas is a celebration that owes so much more than the comparatively recent attempts to coopt the entire religion?

For myself, I prefer to indulge the older religions over newer ones that like to pretend that hey have more to offer. Still, violence and hatred are buried so deeply into the faith of those who like to falsely complain otherwise that I'd rather die than pretend to accept some false offer and be forcibly absorbed than take the chance that I'd be allowed to practice my faith freely.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2023, 08:09:48 PM »

I did see this last year

It does capture a certain dreamlike quality... those dreams one sometimes has that are inexplicable yet largely innocuous... not really unpleasant yet completely pointless... frustrating  primarily in their refusal to resolve and end quickly!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2023, 09:00:49 AM »

I did see this last year

It does capture a certain dreamlike quality... those dreams one sometimes has that are inexplicable yet largely innocuous... not really unpleasant yet completely pointless... frustrating  primarily in their refusal to resolve and end quickly!

Say what you want about it, but it gifted us some memorable new Christmas songs!

https://youtu.be/UI0b_68fzLE?si=R3SeubN4NnaU4dXY

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Cult_Moody_Movies
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2023, 10:27:01 AM »

It's sad we have two versions of this film (one version tells Thumbelina and the other tells Jack and the Beanstalk) but we don't have a legal unaltered original Star Wars Trilogy. XD
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2023, 08:28:41 PM »

I agree it should be about Christmas, not merely set around Christmastime, to be a "real" Christmas movie.

I have no idea about DIE HARD because I've never seen it and actually hope to go to my grave without seeing it. Didn't interest me in the slightest and all the casual cinephiles coming out every December insisting it's a Christmas movie have turned me against it.
Die Hard 1 is really, really fun to watch, despite the amount of people who hype it up. For an action flick from the 80s, it's got some good acting and anything with Alan Rickman gets a big plus.

I understand where you're coming from though. People told me how GREAT The Hangover was. And I HATED it. But, that's just me.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 09:41:35 AM »

I also found THE HANGOVER underwhelming after all the hype.

Family is visiting and by majority decree we watched GREMLINS yesterday. Yep - that's a Christmas movie! Christmas is the setting, Christmas is the subtext and often the supertext. Christmas is all over GREMLINS. In some ways one might say it appropriates structural elements from IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE... in a much smarter and more understated way than IT'S A WONDERFUL KNIFE, surely.

I hadn't watched it in at least 30 years. It really holds up... Joe Dante was still in peak form, particularly at the suspense/horror elements. More proof of a steady directorial hand: he coaxes a highly natural, authentic performance out of Zach Galligan, who (based on the WAXWORKS duology I recently revisited) was not an innately gifted nor inherently warm and compelling actor...
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What makes a Christmas Movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.