Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:16:49 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Frogs & Stuff I Saw In Japan « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Frogs & Stuff I Saw In Japan  (Read 2799 times)
Squishy
« on: April 06, 2001, 05:00:04 AM »

Back in the recent thread scoping out "Frogs" and "Day of the Animals" somebody wished for a movie about man-eating froggies--and it didn't even click. I need more sleep.

I was in Japan for a few days last month, and while rummaging through a video rental store there, I saw a video box that suggested just that: man-eatin' froggies. It's possible it was just a reissue of the original "Frogs"--it had the famous image of the frog with the human hand sticking out of its yap; however, the hand had been removed and the frog's mouth was filled with razor-sharp teeth. Now I wish I'd taken a closer look at the box. (Next to it was "Rats," which WAS a reissue of "Rats: Night of Terror." So it's hard to say.)

Countries seriously screw with the titles of  foreign releases: in Japan, several unrelated "Satan" movies ("The Church," "The Sect," etc.) were retitled as sequels to "Demons" and those two idiot "Shark Attack" movies had "Jaws" written into their Japanese titles.

I also saw what appeared to be a ripoff of the US "Godzilla" from Europe. The man-in-a-suit monster was clearly inspired by the big-jawed American nuclear iguana, but the box art gave no true idea of its scale. The Japanese title was "Reptilian"--and it all came back to me tonight as I watch "Reptilicus," even now, on AMC. My skin crawls.

You might be surprised how many movies never get released in the US--even those made for US audiences. Al Pyun's "Captain America" sat on the shelf for years before making it to US cable, but was available overseas during that time. Hopefully, the new version/reissue of "Frogs" and this "Reptilian" will finally make it here to fill us with sickness, hatred, and loathing.

I saw "Pulgasari" tonight as well--a North Korean giant-monsta flick made back in the mid-to-late Eighties unreleased in the US until now. It's...it's...well, it's better than "Reptilicus" (Peterson's doing his "electric eel dance" right now, blagh), but not by much. The acting is amazingly atrocious. Fun to watch at least once. (Amazing how readily people take to a violent giant monster that eats all their tools and weapons. Can no one think five minutes ahead?)
FLANGEPART
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2001, 12:31:28 PM »

Peterson teaches us that Rednecks can breed anywere. But...man, you make me wonder what wonderful crap we might be missing! The U.S. market ain't all there is,kids.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Frogs & Stuff I Saw In Japan « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.