Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:47:03 AM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla Movies Suck!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Godzilla Movies Suck!!!  (Read 12121 times)
Tommy
« on: July 11, 2002, 03:49:07 PM »

Godzilla: Caught in Bad Movies
by the Goji Corner
Everyone remembers their first Godzilla movie.  It was funny, exciting and cool to watch.  The problem is that as we all grew up, the movies never did.  Sure, the costume changed and the special effects got better, but the core of the movies – the storyline, acting and overall direction of Godzilla film-making has yet to reach industry standards.  With all the time and money Toho puts into a Godzilla production, you would think they cared about professionalism.  Godzilla is such a great character, it’s a shame the people who hold his license can’t do anything creative.
At every Godzilla film my intention has been to catch a glimmer of hope.  Maybe the acting has gotten better, or the movie script – it never happens.  Truthfully, Godzilla is only a notch better than the Power Rangers.  That’s what many kids have told me.  Audiences have changed much since the first Godzilla film (1954).  Today’s children are more aware of the entertainment industry and can find flaws with pinpoint accuracy.  During my viewing of Godzilla 2000, I heard several kids say, “that’s just a man in a suit,” or “that’s so fake.”
Despite criticism of Tri-Star’s recent Godzilla movie, it was far better than any Heisei (Japanese) Godzilla film.  World-wide sales speak for themselves.  But more importantly, a movie company finally approached Godzilla in a new innovative direction.  The special effects were convincing, and the Godzilla design was refreshing. The modern feel of the movie created a sense of believability.  Many arguments have focused on Tri-Star’s new Godzilla design, which isn’t constructive.  Godzilla fanatics seem to have a problem with anyone doing something bold.  In this case, bold was better.
The Heisei Godzilla films had poor acting, plot and direction.  Much time was put into Godzilla himself which took away from all other aspects.  While the G-suit improved, the movies didn’t.  Godzilla 1985 had really bad acting, but the movie was still up to par with movies of that time.  The next film, Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) was a step in the right direction.  The Godzilla design was far improved but the story lacked the usual.  Also the tone of the movie was misleading.  At times the mood turned serious then abruptly ended by something whimsical, especially in the Godzilla scenes.  Needless to say, the musical score wasn’t very good.  When Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) premiered, I figured the 90’s would have an impact on Godzilla’s future.  I was wrong.  This movie was cheesy, boring and had very, very bad acting, probably due to very, very bad directing.  A similar fate awaited the Godzilla films that followed.  I was most disturbed,  however, by Godzilla vs. Destroyah (1995).  This was supposed to be Godzilla’s finale, and it stunk.  First of all, there was no indepth explanation of where, how and why Godzilla experiences meltdown.  Then the fate of the whole world is left to the decision making of an annoying kid, who can’t even get into college.  The other supposedly top notch scientists and military leaders meanwhile just sit around dumfounded by their inept roles.  The lead scientist manages a few words like, “explain to me,” or “how?”  With these men in charge, it’s no wonder Godzilla has run Japan amuck.  Godzilla 2000 wasn’t a huge hit either.  The critics went easy just because it was Godzilla.  Many of the scenes should have been left on the cutting table.  The audience sneered when Godzilla stomped on literally modeled streets while approaching Orga for their climactic battle.  Also in this film, we learn that Godzilla is psychic or has very good eyesight.  Yes... he knows who is trying to harm him just like we know exactly which ant stole our bread crumbs.  The ending of this film is actually quite hilarious.  Godzilla torches the whole city after someone comments that he is Japan’s savior.
Godzilla is a great character, but not being utilized in the best way.  Read the comics, they’re actually very good.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big Godzilla fan, that’s why I wrote this article.  How many people do you know who care about something, just let it fall apart in front of them?
Akira Tubo
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2002, 04:16:50 PM »

"Despite criticism of Tri-Star’s recent Godzilla movie, it was far better than any Heisei (Japanese) Godzilla film."

No it wasn't.  The acting, plot, script, and direction were universally reviled by critics and audiences alike.

"World-wide sales speak for themselves."

The '98 movie had an enormous advertising campaign, which coupled with anticipation, got people into the theaters on opening weekends.  Most of its money was made on opening weekends, then audiences avoided it like the plauge thereafter.

"But more importantly, a movie company finally approached Godzilla in a new innovative direction."

Yes, the direction of "let's remake the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and slap the Godzilla name on it."

"The special effects were convincing, and the Godzilla design was refreshing."

The effects were below average for what it was.  The baby Godzillas were obviously not walking on the floor most of the time.  Godzilla himself was derivative, cobbled together from the T. rex from Jurassic park and the aliens from Alien: Resurrection.

"The modern feel of the movie created a sense of believability. "

No more believable than any other giant monster movie.

"Many arguments have focused on Tri-Star’s new Godzilla design, which isn’t constructive."

See above comments on the Godzilla design.  Furthermore, the lack of a breath weapon is unforgivable.  Radioactive breath *is* Godzilla.  Godzilla without his breath is like Jason without his mask, Freddy without his glove, or Batman without his cape and cowl.  It is *the* defining aspect of his character.

"Godzilla fanatics seem to have a problem with anyone doing something bold. In this case, bold was better."

You may call it bold, critics and plenty of audiences called it bad.  People go to a Godzilla movie to see big monsters fighting and smashing stuff, not a bad romantic comedy with some giant monster scenes in it.

I agree on some of your points, but the '98 movie was just a plain bad film, all around, in every way.
Pete B6K
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2002, 04:18:02 PM »

My eyes have just gone blurry.

Anyways, there's one statement there that I'm compelled to argue with:

"Despite criticism of Tri-Star’s recent Godzilla movie, it was far better than any Heisei (Japanese) Godzilla film. World-wide sales speak for themselves. "

I strongly disagree with the common assumption that popularity means quality. The world we live in today is one where marketing is the lifeblood of mainstream media. I get into this debate a lot, being into punk/hardcore music and badmovies. I'll give you an example; the film 'Scary Movie'. It is extremely popular , and I'm sure most of us here are wise enough to tell you that it's a terrible terrible movie. I can say the same about alsmost the entire mainstream pop music market, but I'm sure lots will disagree with me on that one. The recent Godzilla film is also a perfect example. I really hated that film. Every time the film gives you the idea it is ending, but then comes back with a new godzilla/babies etc, I was extremely disappointed. The film was terribly contrived, plot devices didn't flow easily, but rather were forced into the film. Dialogue was uninteresting and unoriginal. Special effects in essence were good, but instead of being added to an exciting part of the film to enhance that excitement (a la Jurassic Park/Matrix/T2), it was put in to make a dull scene exciting, which inevitably failed. You also talk about Godzilla's redesign as a positive thing, but I felt as if this was part of the filmmakers attempts to aim this film a new audience, taking away all that would make the film familiar to fans of old Godzilla movies.

Sorry to be confrontational or whatever, but it is quite fun.

Pete
Pete B6K
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2002, 04:22:16 PM »

Damn, took me so long to write that, someone posted before me and made half my points redundant. Dagnabbit.

Pete
StatCat
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2002, 04:48:54 PM »

The American godzilla was crap pure and simple- leave it to the Japanese to work with godzilla and leave it to the US to work with kong (even though I kind of like toho's goofy kong.)  Akira Tubo and Pete brought up points that I could say I agree with completely. This movie was not a new direction for godzilla but just a way for the American market to cash in with a monster that is nothing like godzilla but use it's popular name to their advantage. It was a ripoff of the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms with a giant cgi Iguana like dinosaur- hell I don't even want to consider it a godzilla movie in any sense. Godzilla made the suit battle nostalgic and toho is often looked down upon (now a days somewhat) for that but truthfully I think its a hell of a lot cooler to see actors battling it out in the old rubber suits. Computer effects I can say I really dislike for the most part when they are used to such an extent (look at Reptilian aka the new Yonggary and godzilla 98 for it's disasters.) What made godzilla and kaiju cool was the fact of the time spent into the suits and the models that were destroyed for me at least. It would definitely lose touch with me if it wasn't this way. I don really understand how you can just generalize every g film to "suck" anyway either.
Tommy
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2002, 05:26:29 PM »

While I was not a big fan of the Tri-Star Godzilla movie, I defend all my points because it was more professional and a step in the right direction.  You must agree with me that Toho Godzilla movies are always lacking in terms of movie standards.  Godzilla 1998 was the highest selling movie in Japan in 1998.  The Japanese loved it, because it gave them a refreshing new idea.  You can't discredit Tri-Star's vision just because you wanted to see a guy in a rubber suit.  At least they were attempting to meld the Godzilla plot with the human plot.  I'm open to any indepth discussion on Godzilla, but I still defend my points.  I can't watch a Godzilla movie twice because the movies are so bad, yet I love the character of Godzilla.  And another thing... Ofcourse Tri-Star intended the cash in on Godzilla's name, it's what Toho has been doing for years now.  Toho knows they can make a crappy film, slap Godzilla on it and sell.  They're not thinking about audiences in other countries.  In Japan Godzilla sells regardless. Unfortunately, this makes for some real bad movies.
Cullen
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2002, 05:56:33 PM »

Since I was five or so, my favorite monster has always been Godzilla.  Still is.  I say this just as a prologue to what I am going to say next.

I liked Godzilla '98 and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I'm not going to call it a good movie, God no.  The better Godzilla movies kick this one's butt around.  But there are worse Godzilla movies out there.

When I went in to see the '98 film I had only one hope in mind: the it was better than Godzilla v. Megalon .  That's it.  I had no high expectations, no grand illusions.  And for me, it was.

Now every point made about the movie that I've read here holds.  The romantic subplot should have been shot.  Godzilla should have had radioactive breath.  The dinosaur bit I'm shaky on, could go either way, but I can see how it could lower the movie’s worth for a person.  But beyond that, it was a neat little monster movie that has had far too much venom spewed against it.

Don't agree?  Then I suggest popping Godzilla v. Megalon into the VCR or, God help us, the DVD, and start waiting for the big guy to start kicking butt and taking names.  After that eternity has past (I swear to God that I'm still watching that movie, waiting...), enjoy the fight, knowing that a whole bunch of the battle was lifted directly from the last film!  Now that is bad.

Like I said, Godzilla '98 isn't the best Godzilla film in the world.  But it isn't the worst, either.
This whole post was an attempt to refute one comment, by Akira Tubo:  "The acting, plot, script, and direction were universally reviled by critics and audiences alike."  Generalizations are Evil Incarnate and should be avoid at all costs.  Also, for a praise of Godzilla '98 by a more critical source, try here.

Also, just as a reminder, with the possible exception of the two most recent Godzilla films, none of the modern crop of Godzilla films can hold a candle to Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.

Which is just plain said.
Andrew
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2002, 06:15:04 PM »

The funny, really funny, thing here is that I wrote a "Deanzilla" review probably eight months ago.  Just never got around to doing the captures yet.  A number of the points being mentioned:  "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms," the romance subplot, and such - they are all in there.

I might need to dust that sucker off and get some captures done.

Also, I don't know.  "Godzilla vs. Megalon" makes me laugh for being so bad.  Jet Jaguar?  The awful Kennydom...

Andrew
Chadzilla
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2002, 06:42:53 PM »

Tommy wrote:
>
> While I was not a big fan of the Tri-Star Godzilla movie, I
> defend all my points because it was more professional and a
> step in the right direction.

Professional, maybe (Emmerich is no Honda that is for sure) but I doubt a step in the right direction part - what part of plagaristically derivative and bland is 'right'

> You must agree with me that Toho Godzilla movies are always lacking in terms of movie standards.  

And just why MUST I agree with you?  I am under no requirement to agree with you on anything about anything.  As far as movie standards go, mine are objective - I take them on the movie's terms and seldom mine.  As pocorn movies the Godzilla franchise as delivered serious fun and dumb fun in equal amounts.

> Godzilla 1998 was the highest selling movie in Japan in 1998.  The Japanese loved it, because it gave them a refreshing new idea.  

Actually, the response to the American Godzilla was lukewarm.  And the Japanese did not  consider it to be Godzilla.

> You can't discredit Tri-Star's vision just because you wanted to see a guy in a rubber suit.  

No, but I can discredit it for completely ignoring the established character (it was like watching Pauly Shore playing James Bond) and just recreating the death scene from the DeLaurentis remake of King Kong was like getting spit in the face.  I felt that insulted.  The effects ranged from okay to breathtaking, but the creature design was poor - I wanted Godzilla, not the T Rex from Jurassic Park reimagined as a mutated iguana.

>At least they were attempting to meld the Godzilla plot with the human plot.  

Take a look at the first Godzilla again, and I mean the Japanese language version  not the one with Raymond Burr.  Godzilla was a metaphor and a monster that meant differant things in differant movies.  Only when the producers noted how many children were viewing the movie did they change the character's darker meanings.

> I can't watch a Godzilla movietwice because the movies are so bad, yet I love the character of Godzilla.

Too bad for you, want some cheese with that whine?  You probably have problem with George Lazenby as James Bond, or Roger Moore.  And all the Dirty Harry movies suck after the first, right?  I love Jason, Freddy, and Michael but I hate the movies.  Hmm.  You know action movies would be great if they weren't so violent.

>And another thing... Ofcourse Tri-Star intended the cash in on Godzilla's name, it's what Toho has been doing for years now.

Every studio has a franchise series to market, they need to make money.

> Toho knows they can make a crappy film, slap Godzilla on it and sell.  They're not thinking about audiences in other countries.  In Japan Godzilla sells regardless. Unfortunately, this makes for some real bad movies.

You could say the same thing about Star Wars, Star Trek, or anyone roman numeral franchise getting produced.  Sheesh.
Cullen
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2002, 07:36:41 PM »

Three small additions to my original post:

1 - That is the limit to my defense of "Deanzilla."  Emmerich should have stuck more to the original, like he claimed to have been doing.  I think the stupid jokes and jokey characters are far more damaging to the film than anything else.

2 - What I find funny about the comparisons between Godzilla '98 and Beast from 20,000 Fathoms is that Gojira itself was inspired by Beast .  

A giant dinosaur, awakened by American atomic testing, lays waste to a modern city, only to be killed, not military action (per say), but by a clever scientist.

Talk about a rip-off.  (Not, I hasten to add, do I consider Gojira a rip-off, really.)

Add let's keep clear of Behemoth, the Sea Monster , which borrows from both Beast and Gojira , shall we?

3 - As much as I don't like Godzilla v. Megalon , I must confess a strange fondness for it.  Once we get past all the filler and get to the real fighting, I mean.  I've been known to fast forward to just that point.  I don't know what to think about that.

Also, I will maintain that the worst Godzillas are better than the worst Gameras any day.  Specifically Super Gamera .  Ouch.
ErikJ
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2002, 07:58:10 PM »

I know that I may get a few to agree on this. But if the '98 Godzilla movie was just marketed as anything but Godzilla then it would have been just a bit more well received. I didn't think it was a bad movie just a real bad Godzilla movie.
systemcr4sh
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2002, 08:01:57 PM »

Everyone has said all that needs to be said but...

> Godzilla 1998 was the highest selling movie in Japan in 1998. The Japanese loved it, because it gave them a refreshing new idea.

What is it with this guy, Just because a movie was a huge hit in the boxoffice does not mean that the audience thought it was a great movie. That is a 100% wrong generalization. People went to it becuase its Godzilla. Its the most popular monster on the face of the planet (methinks) and everyone knows the name Godzilla. Its a huge 'pop-culture' icon. Over in japan its even bigger, so you can expect when a new movie comes out with the name godzilla in it they'll be flocking to see it. Does this mean all those people flocking to see it liked it? Absolutly not. They could all hate it. Half of them could hate it, and the other half love it. There is alot of things that can happen. Sure the movie may have been popular when it opened but overall I'd say it was a flop (review wise). But the bottom line is that it made money. Any company could make a movie with godzilla motion effects, slap in some file footage on a preview and market it as a new godzilla movie and show it worldwide and you could bet it would make some money (with the right advertisement. And TriStar had trailers up the ying yang and the money they spent on all the advertisments was made back).

anyway i'm rambling on and stuff......

-Dan
A Godzilla fan
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2002, 09:01:24 PM »

Tommy, you're an @!#$ for even saying what you've said.  Don't push your opinions on this movie series as fact. No one cares about your views of it.  You can shove GINO up your ass.
Steven Millan
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2002, 02:27:54 AM »

Hey,Tommy,listen up---
          * Tri-Star Pictures' "Godzilla" Sucks Big Time,in a Major League way!!!!!
          * EVERY Japanese  "Godzilla" movie rules---Period!!!
          * "Godzilla" is the Hulk Hogan of movie monsters,since everyone sees all of his movies just to what kind of a frightening,but cool looking monster that he heavily fights
          * You claim you're a big Godzilla fan,but yet criticize nearly every one of his movies--and you like the ultra-s**tty Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin destruction of the
Godzilla myth?!? : you ain't no big fan!!!
           * "Godzilla" movie are NOT about further developement,or exploration of charcters(whether human or monster);they are kickass,good old fashioned movies to sit back,drink a beer,and have mindless fun with!
                So,to put it more bluntly:quit whining like a sissy jabroni,and accept the movies for what they are,or don't bother watching them at all(especially if you demand character exploration,and developement)!!!!
          We REAL "Godzilla"  fans love them endearingly for what they are.
             The End.
Flangepart
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2002, 01:06:07 PM »

Well....I can't watch G Vs. The Sea monster or Megalon without Joel and the Bots to help ease the pain.....but, i like the real Godzilla. Squishy and Chadzilla will agree with me that seeing the first, indeed all the films, in the original arrangment and language, makes a big change in how you appreciate them. These are realy Beer and Pizza movies, but thats cool! Relax and have fun. Still, I've not seen Deanzilla yet. Can't bring myself to do it. Its ain't the big guy! One realy good reason....have you EVER seen Godzilla run from a fight? No! G may take his lumps, but he always comes round for the big battle. "When Godzilla gets dissed, he comes back p**sed!" is my motto. Also....its a man in a suit....so?As many people could say "Its just a computer drawing". Reign of Fire looks promising, but do i let the CGI put me off? No, not when the previews look good enough to relax into the story. The men in the G-suit have to use body language to bring life to G, as he is an animal, and a creature of mythological perportions. In the end, it realy don't matter if you like Dean better then G, but, thats cool. I like the reality of a good looking suit, well handled. I'd love to see what Rick Baker could do with the G-98 suit! Make things easier for the guy inside, i'd bet. In the end, its all in the story telling. Heres to the King. Long may he kick butt, and take names.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla Movies Suck!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.