Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:03:55 PM
714496 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spiderman Wasn’t So Amazing « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spiderman Wasn’t So Amazing  (Read 1809 times)
Tommy
« on: July 16, 2002, 05:24:21 PM »

Spiderman Wasn’t So Amazing
by Tommy the Gun
As a kid, I would sit sprawled out on the floor reading “Amazing Spiderman” comics for hours (I read them over and over again) while waiting for the next issue.  There seemed to be a personal connection between the reader and Spiderman, one that most readers could relate to.  I didn’t get this from the recent Spiderman installment.  I saw Spiderman for the first time yesterday.  I’ve been waiting just to see the public reaction and box office numbers of late.  The truth is that I left the cinema with mixed feelings.  There were some good points, but the bad overshadowed my memory.

Peter Parker – By far the most interesting character.  The best parts of the movie are at the beginning where we are introduced to Tobey Mcguire’s character, Peter Parker.  From fighting with Flash Thompson at school to defeating Randy Savage ( not his name in the movie), Peter moves the story along.  We get a real sense of his social and economic problems.

Spiderman – Surprisingly, Spiderman ruined the film!  This Spiderman is more or less a CGI graphic that moves very stiff.  Spidey hardly uses any of his comic book humor... heck, his mouth doesn’t even move... he must know how to throw his voice.  Compared to the CGI model, the Spiderman stunt double looks overweight.  There were a few glimpses of Mcguire in the Spider outfit, but it didn’t matter.  Many of the scenes were night shots... Gee, I wonder why?...  And the best graphics were left for the end of the movie.  I wonder what Steven Speilberg or George Lucas thought about  the Graphics?  There were a lot of Batman-like cliches including the soundtrack.

Mary Jane – Annoying and slutty... Kirstin Dunst just doesn’t come off as MJ.

Green Goblin – Despite much criticism, I felt William Defoe was very suitable as Norman Osborn.  He has this cackling voice and menacing stare that was very Goblinish.  Defoe has always been a good villian so naturally this was a good role for him.  Although his acting was good, many of this scenes and lines were a bit cheesy.  The Gobin outfit was cool.  The funny thing is that if the government knew Osborn had designed the Goblin Hover, why didn’t they go after him?  Also, It was weird how the Goblin kidnapped Spiderman only to question him... I mean he could had just killed him off or looked under his mask then.

All in all, an okay movie, but not worth the budget spent on it.  The cheesiest part of the movie is when Spiderman goes on a Hero Spree.  We see newspapers turning and Tobey Mcguire steps in front to put on his mask... it was lame.
Biscuitrocious
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 06:26:49 PM »

Holy hellfire, brother!

First off, the movie is based on a comic book. The term "suspension of disbelief" comes to mind... I saw it on the big screen (travelled two hours through a thrid-world country to see it,) and didn't catch any glaring screw-ups as far as appearances go.

Compared to most Comic-to-Movies, this stands head and shoulders above almost all (Capt. America, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman and Robin, Batman's Wacky Beach Party, the Punisher, X-Men, etc etc etc...)

And Kirsten Dunst isn't slutty, she's the hottie-next-door. You want to see her get slutty, rent the Virgin Suicides. Hrrreow.

I do, however, agree about the Goblin Hovercraft thing... kinda overlooks the obvious.

Otherwise, I really loved this flick. I'm a HUGE Spidey fan, so of course I expected the worst from Hollywood, but they actually delivered.
Pancho
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 06:28:42 PM »

Tommy man, do you like any movies?  Seriously why do you keep posting only about things you don't like?  All that pent up hostility is some bad mojo
J.R.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 06:43:34 PM »

You go to hell! You go to hell and you die! Sorry, sorry, ...keep it cool, J.R., keep it cool...Spiedy was the best somic movie, end of story. Comic books are about suspending belief and going along with it. The scene with Spidey stopping all the crimes was right out of a comic. To each his own, I gue-No! You go to hell! You go to hell and you die!
Chadzilla
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 07:11:27 PM »

Uh-wha?

Sorry, your little nitpick rant put me to sleep.  So you waited to see what all the hubbub was about and 'surprise, surprise' there were, of course, errors, oversights, matters of the director's visual style, casting choices, etc, etc, etc, et al to be complained about, but I'll simply agree to disagree.  Yakking about what you dislike about a movie is really, really easy...what did you like?  If anything.  Perhaps the movie is 'too popular to be good' for the likes of your kind (believe me, I've listened to far too many hip posers that decide that popular things are just so weak, stupid, poorly made, etc etc etc et al, to enjoy to be aggressively polite about it)

And some honesty here...no movie produced in Hollywood is worth the money spent, considering the philanthropic uses that the insane overspending can be used for (90 some odd million could probably get the homeless off the streets of LA forever, help a few of the terminally ill stop being terminally ill, feed the world's hungry, etc, etc, etc, et al).

Yawn.

I'm cranky, so I'm taking another nap.  Flame away.
Lee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 07:24:50 PM »

Pancho, you took the words right out of my mouth.Pancho wrote:
>
> Tommy man, do you like any movies?  Seriously why do you keep
> posting only about things you don't like?  All that pent up
> hostility is some bad mojo
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 11:29:38 PM »

* "Batman-like cliches including the soundtrack" - Five words for Ya: Original music by Danny Elfmann.

* "Mary Jane – Annoying and slutty... " - Hey, just like the original  character in the comic.  Amazing.  

Never been a big M. J. fan, at least in the original comics.  i much prefer her character in the Ultimate line, as well as the movie.

Durst was good, I think.  Everyone was good.

Opinion - Anybody complaining about corny dialouge and/or in the Spider-man movie should read the first ten or so issues of Amazing Spider-man.  Stan Lee was the master of corn, but he pulled it off, more often than not.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Akira Tubo
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 12:11:30 PM »

Spider-Man was a near-perfect movie for most of its running time.  The ending was a bit of a cop-out and I feel they should have used Gwen Stacy and her death.  That's just such an important part of who Spider-Man is and, without it, Norman Osbourne's death was kinda meaningless.

But, overall, Spider-Man was an excellent movie, not just on the comic-book-movie scale but on an absolute one.
justsomeguy
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2002, 07:24:58 PM »

What the fu_k are you smoking? Spiderman was a great movie!
and spiderman didn't ruin the film.  Spiderman made the film!
do you honestly think  that anyone besides you would have gone to see a movie about a kid named Peter Parker? even if he had powers, had he not become spiderman I don't think the ould have survived the 60's.  Why am I waisting my time on your stupid ass!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spiderman Wasn’t So Amazing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.