Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:01:53 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Breaking in the newbies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Breaking in the newbies  (Read 6475 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: August 14, 2002, 05:03:42 AM »

I have found that suddenly exposing a b-movie virgin to something like Sextette usually turns them away from the whole idea.  However, there are a couple of films I have found work pretty good at getting new viewers "into the mood."

Flash Gordon
Lots of flashy costumes and overacting, plus the Queen soundtrack.  This is one of my favorites.

The Beast of Yucca Flats
"Progress!"  The film is amazingly inept, there are numerous gags to harp on, and it is short.

Drunken Wutang
Watermelon monster!

Tank Girl
On the right people, this one works wonders.  Weird.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Neville
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 05:26:57 AM »

"Adventure of Buckaroo Banzai" maybe also OK for newbies. I mean, it is still quite excentric stuff, but quite accessible, plus its all-star cast is another attractive.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 07:39:35 AM »

I've found that Army of Darkness is a good introduction movie; I usually show that to friends before stuff like Dead Alive or even Evil Dead 2. Also, MST3K in general is a good way to cut newbies' teeth before moving on to the REALLY painful stuff.
Ken Begg
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 09:29:31 AM »

Can't Stop the Music and The Swarm.  Both are long, but so astounding that you can't take your eyes off them.  Swarm gets bonus points for having a number of the most memorable lines of bad dialog in movie history, as well as for embarrassing so many high profile actors.

Giant Claw is another reliable classic.
AndyC
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 09:59:16 AM »

Usually MST3K is good for a beginner. It's got a sugar coating of jokes to make the movie go down easier, and it gives some idea of how the movie is to be viewed.

Aside from that, I usually start a newby off with something like Hercules in New York. The fact that it's Arnie in a cheesy old movie adds to the interest.
Babydoll
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 10:21:46 AM »

Where I use to live the theater showed a movie called " Flesh Gordon".  I do know what it was about, but being a kid I thought it is "Flash Gordon".    

Some to think about!
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2002, 11:07:04 AM »

REPTILICUS!

(though I would recommend the American version over the Danish version for newcomers)
Tor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 11:35:53 AM »

I saw reptilicus! That was a riot! Definately agree that it would be a good flick for the virgins. Same for Hercules in New York - There have been about six occaisions that  I can remember in which I've converted people through that gem. Same with Plan 9 or  any of the other killer Ed Wood movies (except maybe Orgy of the Dead).

Probably the worst  movies that I've show to newbies were John Waters' Pink Flamingos and Desperate Living. Probably scarred them for life, and I don't think all of them appreciated it.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 03:02:58 PM »

Any of Romero's work. Sure, people make fun of the bad makeup FX in the original Night Of The Living Dead, and the less-than-stellar zombie paint in Dawn, but the stories get them captivated.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
J.R.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2002, 04:41:36 PM »

Something like Dawn Of The Dead might work, because it also has elements of action. Army Of Darkness and som others are good, too, because they have elements of comedy.
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2002, 05:47:14 PM »

Break it to 'em gently. Odd flicks are an aquired taste. Like Espresso and valvoline.
 MST to get 'em laughing, then slide 'em into the likes of "Inframan", "Big Trouble in Little China", and maby if they look up to it, " Killer Klowns from outer space."
If they can handle that...bring on the cheese!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
jmc
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2002, 06:32:13 PM »

NIGHT OF THE GHOULS is good, along with its prequel, BRIDE OF THE MONSTER.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2002, 11:45:07 PM »

You know, oddly enough, the last three people I have introduced to "Inframan" have not liked it.  Seems strange to me, but maybe "Power Rangers" gave them too much of an overload of people in suits fighting monsters.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BlackAngel
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2002, 10:20:51 AM »

My brother saw Flash Gordon.  And he hates it.  He saw the strings every time those winged warriors took flight.  And costumes, in his words, were "gay".
BlackAngel
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 10:33:33 AM »

I'm a newbie to B-movies myself, and I do recommend Army of Darkness for any newbies to start with.  Also Teenage Catgirls in Heat for those who like to laugh.  But even though it was the second movie after AoD, I Spit on your Grave is more for the vets (huah!) and for those who can stomach the contents.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Breaking in the newbies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.