Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:21:23 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  fire extinguisher: the ultimate weapon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: fire extinguisher: the ultimate weapon  (Read 1411 times)
Goon
« on: September 20, 2002, 09:12:56 PM »

After watching "The Rats" last night I was reminded of an old B-movie tradition.  While this doesn't happen in every movie, many films have a scene where a character grabs a fire extinguisher off the wall and proceeds to blast and/or club the offending creature with it.  "The Rats", "The Monsters that Challenged the World", "The Blob", "Tremers 2"  (Ok, so they didn't use it directly on the little buggers...)   So!  How many fire extinguishers have you seen pressed into service over the years?  The best are when something that would make a more potent weapon is ignored.  Anything to be dredged up from memory?
-----ooo-'U'-ooo------Kilroy was here.
Dano
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 11:56:33 PM »

Actually, a dry chem extinguisher would utterly incapacitate a person and probably most monsters.  Imagine a stinking, irritating powder blasted into every non-covered oriface on your body, saturating your hair and getting into your clothes.  They put out fires great, but when you see the mess they leave you half wish you let the damn place burn.

Didn't Bruce Willis use one in Die Hard?
J.R.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 06:54:55 AM »

I think he used one in Die Hard 2, if it all. Fire extinguishers would make dandy weapons in a crisis; they fire at a distance and they could incapacitate someone. They are pretty heavy as well, I wonder if perhaps they were intended to have a secondary use as a weapon?
Neville
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2002, 01:20:08 PM »

a) Can't remember Willis using a fire stinguisher in any Die Hard movie.

b) Indeed, it is a good weapon. See Sandra Bullock in "The Net". Crappy movie, anyway.

c) About don't using weapons when they are available, I think Arnold forgot about the gun from the security guard in the climax of "Collateral Damage". Instead, he used an axe (!) because, you know, he played a fireman.
peter johnson
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2002, 05:01:25 PM »

The Rats!!  The Rats!!
My wife and I watched it too, and thought exactly the same thing!!  Gawd lawdy mama, what a stinky flick!!  We just loved it.  Other stuff:
The rat that pops out of the toilet for absolutely no discernable reason -- okay, maybe it was attracted to the perfume, but why only one then? -- and then makes that horribly laughable CGI-induced snarly-face & growls!!
The gal & her exterminator friend go into the abandoned lab -- abandoned 2 years ago & it still has electricity working(?!?!) & plants growing indoors without benefit of sunlight -- it having been established that the other exterminator guy is off uptown somewhere, & then all of a sudden, THERE THE OTHER EXTERMINATOR GUY IS WITH THEM IN THE LAB!!!  I guess the budget didn't allow for a Continuity Person.
Tens of thousands of rats collected in a swimming pool will not try to leave the pool, but only rise to the edge of the pool, sorta like a liquid might (Liquid rats?).
By saying that an explosion will create no shrapnel, it will magically be so.
Massive, multiple explosions will kill off a swimming pool full of rats completely, with no survivors, and no apparent damage to the pool at all.
We just loved this thing . . .
peter johnson
chris
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 09:30:04 PM »

At an old job I had, we actually did the Letterman thing and had a fire extinguisher/rolling chair race.  It was fun until we saw the mess we made.  I mean, judging from the movies, they're a lot of fun with little to no clean up afterwards.  What a gyp.  As for fire extinguisher as a weapon scenes, I think the scene in Irreversible wins by a long shot.  Fire extinguishers will never be the subject of laughter again.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 11:50:30 PM »

Wasn't a fire extinguisher used to save the day in the original cut of Phantasm?

And fire extinguishers contribute to the death of a woman in Girdler's Asylum of Satan, but, uh, see ... they weren't really intended to look like fire extinguishers ... it was supposed to look like poisonous gas. So that doesn't count at all. I just look for any excuse to drop Girdler movie plugs.
Dano
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 12:04:16 AM »

Chris: CO2 extinguishers kill a fire with cold and the CO2 dissipates into the air.  No mess.

Sounds like you used dry chemical extinguishers which suffocate the fire (and anything else they get) with smelly yellow powder that doesn't dissipate into thin air.  This is one reason you don't see them on movie sets.  

The advantage?  Dry chem extinguishers can put out a fire from like 20 feet away.
chris
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 01:12:31 AM »

That's great!  I'm doing this again tomorrow!  To think of all the years of fun I've lost.
Goon
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 05:12:47 PM »

Heh heh heh....
The bit with the rat in the toilet was great.  The girl see something MOVING under the lid after experience with some extremely P.O.'ed rats...  And then decides to try to get as CLOSE as she can....   What was she expecting,  "Mr. Hanky, the christmas poo"?  Also, the fountains of CGI rats erupting into the pool were some of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.  And your right, if the rats could jump/climb out of the pool when it was full of water, why couldn't they get out when it was full of rats?
---ooo-'U'-ooo----Kilroy was here.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  fire extinguisher: the ultimate weapon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.