Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:11:58 PM
714411 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best European Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best European Films  (Read 9431 times)
Scott
« on: February 14, 2001, 10:51:55 PM »

Anyone know of anymore European Sci Fi - Horror Films?

Dracula 1972
Horror Rises from the Tomb
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Zombie
Lady Frankenstien
Mad Max
The Day the Earth Caught Fire
Farenhiet 451
Clockwork Orange
Will
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2001, 10:01:36 AM »

Is Australia European?  Mad Max might not quite fit your category.....

But why quibble over geography.  Some other good Euro-horror would include the complete Mario Bava (I particularly like "Twitch of the Death Nerve"), Dario Argento (I dig "Suspiria" and "Inferno"), Lucio Fulci ("The Beyond," "Don't Torture a Duckling"), Jean Rollin ("Living Dead Girl" is my favorite), Jess Franco (too many gems to mention, but "Succubus" has a special place in my heart), etc. etc. etc.
Gerry
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »

Excellent scifi/horror:

Quatermass Xperiment
Quatermass 2
Quatermass and the Pit

(OK, OK, I have a quatermass fetish)

Gerry
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2001, 08:34:06 PM »

Yes to all that, and don't forget any John Windham adaptation:  Day of the Trffids, Village of the Damned, etc.
All Hammer -- some suck, but they're all worth watching -- go to any Hammer site, fan or "official" to get the complete filmography -- I think they must have like 40 films available or something like it --
DIABOLIQUE!!  DIABOLIQUE!!
The Innocents
M
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu
Vampyre
Seigfried
Dr. Mabuse
Der Spinne (The Spiders)
Metropolis
Platform X-1 Does Not Reply
many more . . . .Gerry wrote:
>
> Excellent scifi/horror:
>
> Quatermass Xperiment
> Quatermass 2
> Quatermass and the Pit
>
> (OK, OK, I have a quatermass fetish)
>
> Gerry
Abby
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2001, 09:42:20 PM »

For more modern "good" Euro-styled tastes:

* Delicatessen (or City of Lost Children, but I like the former better)
* Accione Mutante (utterly priceless)
* Young Poisoner's Handbook (a Brit director using American studio bucks. I LOVE this flick.)
* Adventures of Tom Thumb (creepy animated thing)
* The Cube (Canadian, but so what? They got money from Germany. Nice recent cheapie sci-fi thriller.)
Scott Davis
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2001, 09:58:58 PM »

You know, I live in Canada and not a single video store around me has The Cube! WTF? eh?
Abby
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2001, 10:16:27 PM »

I stumbled onto The Cube myself. I usually try to select one flick per renting spree based on the catchiness of its box. This tactic leads to as many "The Borrower"s as it does "The Cube"s, but The Cube was a low-budget, stylish winner.

And "style" is what makes Euro flicks so much fun, right?

I'll again plug my beloved "Reincarnation of Isabel" from Italy, even if it's a brilliantly bad movie.
Scott
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2001, 11:48:27 PM »

Oppps Mad Max is Australian, but I'd like to see the Quartermass films. Hammer is great stuff. One of my new favorites is Dracula1972Abby wrote:
Scott Davis
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2001, 12:10:44 PM »

The only Hammer film I've ever seen is Plaque of the Zombies because of my love for zombies.

What about the Hammer/Shaw movie... what is it called...... 7 Golden Vampires, I think.

Is that any good?
peter johnson
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2001, 01:39:54 PM »

Re. 7 Golden -- It depends on who you ask.  It sure as hell is unique, I'll give it that, and Peter Cushing always invokes such CLASS whenever he's on screen in anything.
If you're not very up on the Hammer lexicon, try hitting the top classics first:  Anything teaming Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.  This would include, but not limited to, Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, Medusa, The Mummy and The Hound of the Baskervilles.  This should give you a feel for what they did best -- period horror with lots of atmosphere, lurid color, great costumes, a real sense of style/panache, and memorable dripping blood shots.  Also plenty of cheese, even in their best films.  Then move around in the filmography a bit and try some of the lesser-known black and white ones.  These are terrific, but tend to get unduly ignored.  For plot twists and really really creepy suspense, it's hard to beat Scream of Fear (or, How Red was My Herring, as my wife calls it).  This is one film that really should get a bit of a mini-revival, as it's scarier by far than so many modern so-called scary pictures.  Here in Boulder/Longmont, it was the number one Halloween rental at Video Station for 3 years running.
Scott
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2001, 09:45:21 AM »

I'd like to add BLACK SUNDAY to my list. Barbara Steele is great.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »

Krzysztof Kieślowski's La double vie de Véronique is possibly my all-time favorite European film. It's beautiful with just a slight Twilight Zone undercurrent.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

The original Wicker Man (1973), a heart-warming tale of Druidism and human sacrifice. English movie set in Scotland. Stars a young Edward Woodward before his Equalizer days.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »

EYES WITHOUT A FACE... DANZA MACABRE (Castle of Blood)...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

EYES WITHOUT A FACE...

The next DVD in my Netflix queue!  Been meaning to see it for years, hope it live up to expectations!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best European Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.