Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:52:41 AM
714542 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7746 Members
Latest Member: Bluetoothicb
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another stupid commercial « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Another stupid commercial  (Read 7825 times)
J.R.
« on: September 22, 2002, 02:48:37 AM »

Ah, the silly "Drug War" is on again. Now they're trying to guilt people into quitting drugs by making a connection to terrorism. Yeah, that's going to work. It's true that heroine and cocaine are tied to terrorism and violent cartels, but there's an ad out where a kid narrates the connection of a guy smoking a joint to a crime syndicate. Um, over 90% ovf the weed in America was grown in America, and over 60% was grown in a guy with dreadlocks' closet. By telling lies like that the truths they tell become less believable. It reminds me of those anti-drug commercials they play on Saturday mornings, depicting potheads as junkies sleeping in the gutter. Most stoners are too lazy to get up off the couch, let alone go to an alley.
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 03:23:50 AM »

So does this mean Jeb Bush's kid is financially aiding the terrorists? >:D
Dano
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 07:40:52 PM »

Yeah, Jeb Bush's kid is aiding terrorists (although not Al Qaeda), and she should go to jail for it.
jmc
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 09:50:10 AM »

If I want to read ths kind of stuff, I'll go to a political board....
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 09:56:17 AM »

No prob. jmc. Just transpose " Al gore's son", and your back to level.:)

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 02:39:51 PM »

...Meanwhile, Al Gore's attorney general ordered DEA raids on California clinics for (legally) distributing marijuana to terminally-ill patients, while Al Gore's party debated whether or not they should drop any pretense about their support of "states' independent rights," and Al Gore's behavior raised questions again about the possibility of renewed drinking and drug abuse.

Whoopsie, did I write "Al Gore???" Silly me.

Alcohol-based delirium? Or cocaine-based delirium? You decide:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee....(long pause)...I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee...(pause)...that says, fool me once, shame on...(long pause)...shame on you. Fool me...(very long pause, confused worried look)...you can't get fooled again."
--Our Vegetable-In-Chief
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 07:59:30 PM »

I'd say something pithy, but I ignored the post.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
J.R.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 12:05:56 AM »

Al Gore is about as animated as a vegetable, and Clinton only cared about getting his carrot waxed...

Squishy, please stop making things political. Nobody cares what you think on the issues.
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 02:52:04 AM »

J.R., Flangepart and I enjoy (well, I do--and I hope Flange does too) our little sparring. You're welcome to not participate; likewise, nobody cares if you do or don't. (I do notice you got your own cheap shot in before trying to shut down discussion...bravo. They may have a place for you in the Ministry of Disinformation.)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 11:35:36 AM »

Let it go, guys. I still think Squishy is Harlan Ellison  under a non-de plum...or what ever that french phrase is....clever writer, some what deluded, but, like the planet Earth, mostly harmless. On a galatic scale, that is.
....Corse, at my weight, i need a galatic scale!
....Hail Freedonia!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Squishy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2002, 02:27:32 AM »

Thank you, Flange--but I think Ellison is one of the biggest, hairiest, most flatulent a**holes on the face of the planet. However, if I am "somewhat deluded," feel free to offer evidence. "Yeh...but Gore is, like, all stiff, and stuff" doesn't even begin to cut it. As is turns out, he was right about the Federal budget ("But...it's okay, 'cause the President hit the, like, Trifecta!!"), and--as Georgie Porgie himself admitted, before his leash was tightened--Gore was right about Global Warming. I'd wager the next couple of years will maintain this pattern. Too bad he's such a poor campaigner--after all, we all know THAT is what's most important.

...You've all signed up for military service, right? It's The Patriotic Thing To Do, and hasty wars require many bodies.

All that said, I love the brand-new Ikea "unböring" commercial--directed by Spike Jonze of "Being John Malkovich"--in which the young lady gets a new lamp. It makes good fun of the idiotic emotional manipulation most movies, TV shows, and commercials (and political campaigns) are based on, and hopefully, this will be the beginning of a new trend AWAY from chest-thump ding-dongism.

Check it out through the link, if you haven't already seen it on the tube--then see how this "reviewer" for the Chicago Sun-Times reacts. I don't know which is funnier: the whole concept of newspaper "commercial reviews," or how completely this dork misses the point of the thing. You either like it or you don't; you don't need a review that takes as long to read as it takes to watch the stupid thing.

"Is there no room in this world for the man with the 105 I.Q.?"
--Homer Simpson
Squishy
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2002, 02:29:34 AM »

My bad, Clipland.com doesn't having a working link yet. Watch for it on telly.
J.R.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2002, 03:57:20 AM »

Come on, Squishy. You're taking my ire over a misleading commercial off into a left-wing rant. Please stay on topic. And telly? Are you actually an American or what?
Squishy
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2002, 04:28:17 AM »

Why? Are you going to alert the authorities? Or is the word "telly" now some kind of unpatriotic buzzword? (Look out, I don't have the soiled, shredded remnants of an American flag on my car's antenna either--I'm obviously a terrorist! Booga booga booga!)

Well, at least this time you said "please," instead of issuing a command, which never, ever works. Ever. See, I'm such a Commie Rat I've spent six years overseas in the US Military, and now that it's over--yes, Honorable Discharge, thank you--I don't take any more orders.

But I will note that your original post related to America's earlier Phony War (The War On Drugs!!!), and most of my replies (sorry, "left-wing rants," *snicker*) also related to that. YOU were the guy who brought Gore (and Clinton) into the discussion, for whatever reasons--probably because jumping up and shouting "Bush is TOO a thoughtful, honest respectable leader and brilliant thinker!!!" wasn't a viable option. I was just making fun of the CURRENT Vegetable-In-Chief and his family (with its heavy percentage of substance abusers) and in case you don't read the papers (sorry, "The Liberal Media"--the corporate-owned info-tainment machine with its endless supply of conservative pundits and commentators, how Liberal can you get) many people, both Lefties and Righties and even those in between still find him alternatively laughable, sad, and frightening.

Once the topic's up, it's pretty free game. I don't have any control over the directions my topics go off on; no one person controls the board or any topic except for Andrew himself. As the Bushies liked to say, "get over it."

"I saw this guy...he looked a little funny, wasn't wearing a baseball cap...and he had that lah-tee-dah whatchacallit---deodorant, that's it---the stuff all the f**s up north are wearing these days...but the thing that clinched it was when he said 'telly.' That's when I called the police."
--Another Shoney's waitress dives off the Deep End
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2002, 07:18:42 AM »

Settle down there guys, Squishy is just trying to reign in our emotional and blind patriotism.  He's right, we are rushing into a war with no proof whatsoever that Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction or the will to use them... well except for the fact that he actually used chemical weapons to kill a few thousand Kurds... but that's completely circumstantial (*snicker*).  We should all be demanding Bush gives us some REAL evidence.

And also, anyone who doesn't go to sign up with the military has no moral right to hold any opinion in favor of military action.  That was a good point, Squish -- thanks.  (I think JR was saying that most Americans don't say "telly" and was wondering if maybe you are in fact a Brit.  Telly isn't unpatriotic, but it is a bit unusual coming from an American).

Cheers!  : )

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another stupid commercial « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.