Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:07:01 PM
714411 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sort of OT, but relevant. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sort of OT, but relevant.  (Read 2266 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: September 27, 2002, 08:21:45 PM »

The latest nasty "add-ons" from Kazaa and company:

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/09/27/084209.shtml

The main point is that a large number of client programs were distributed with a program that replaces the "affiliate links" when buying something online.  Amazon.com was affected, along with others.  So, while someone might click on my link to buy a movie, the program switched it to make Amazon.com think that Morpheus (a file sharing program company) should get the credit.

Honestly, I am not in this for the money (the site is currently in the red, mainly because I refuse to take pop-unders or pop-ups).   The site does cost a good bit to keep though.  In October I expect to see about 850K hits from about 250K visitors and  transfer over 200 GB of data.  Non-pop banner ads suck as far as income goes, so the main thing keeping me in (semi) balance is the affiliate agreements.  I noticed a slump in the Amazon.com ones this quarter, which means a little more than usual is coming out of my pocket.  I am thinking that the t-shirts will offset this some (about $3 per shirt goes to support the site), but I am just on the cusp of breaking even on the shirts overall at present.  They were paid for up front.

Anyway, this worries me and it is definitely fraud.  It violates the affiliate agreements and Amazon has already dumped Morpheus.  Coughing up some cash to keep the site going is in my budget, but if I lose a really large chunk of the movie sales I am in trouble - it will become a untenable position.

For those interested, Ad Aware is a good program that detects and deletes spyware and other stuff like this:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Sorry for the booster speech, but this worried me.  In other, unrelated news, I thought tomorrow was going to be a day for woodworking and catching up on the site.  At about 1430 today a tasking came in for a funeral tomorrow.  The location is about 2 1/2 hours away, so it looks like I am booked (and I am senior, so presenting the flag is my burden - it never gets easier).  Maybe on Sunday...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
John
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 12:29:22 AM »

That sucks! I haven't used any of those programs, but I was thinking of trying KazaaLite. Anyone know if this affects that version as well, or was that among the crap they removed?
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2002, 02:16:53 AM »

Please, everyone: Andrew is absolutely right about using Ad-Aware. It's part of my daily computer start-up, actually. I would recommend a firewall, as well, such as the free Zone Alarm, which will alert you to programs trying to "report back" without your knowledge.

I have found spyware hidden in my registry after using Windows Update; Zone Alarm detected a program attached to my Lexmark printer trying to access the Internet; I discovered Outlook Express generating "snapshots" of my Favorites/Bookmarks, mail, and History.

Zone Alarm's also good for cutting off Internet access without disconnecting, which is damned handy when caught in Pop-Up Hell.

The more of us fight this sort of crap, the sooner it ends.
Susan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2002, 10:30:16 PM »

I wouldn't recommend Zone Alarm, that program is a beast and can cause alot of conflicts, even frustration with running certain applications. And when trying to remove it , it completely cut me off from the internet until i ran my computer in safe mode to delete all known (and uknown) files associated with it) since uninstalling it..still leaves it all over your computer to wreak havok. I use the Tiny personal firewall program, I like to be able to have more control, and I hate programs that lock their meaty hooks onto my computer. That's almost as bad as spyware.

raj
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 02:49:40 PM »

I like Ontrack's system suite 4. (www.ontrack.com) It's got a firewall (I haven't seen any conflicts yet, and it's caught RealMedia phoning home as well as that Gator program.)  It updates farily often, plus you get a much better filemanager than Windows' (I get no commision for this)
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 10:32:11 AM »

Diet Kaza is great for preventing the Kazaa spyware and scumware; you start it before starting Kazaa, and it keeps you safe.

(Death to Bonzi and his buddies!)

Nathan

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
John
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 11:47:21 AM »

>plus you get a much better filemanager than Windows'

Not to put down your choice, but the best file manager I've seen is Windows Commander;

http://www.ghisler.com
John
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2002, 11:48:09 AM »

>plus you get a much better filemanager than Windows'

Not to put down your choice, but the best file manager I've seen is Windows Commander;

http://www.ghisler.com
raj
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2002, 02:24:59 PM »

No offense taken, WC does look real good too.  I may download & play with it too.
John
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 05:26:02 PM »

>WC does look real good too. I may download & play with it too.

I've been using it for quite a while now and I'd be lost without it. The default config with the big fonts looks kind of clunky, but once you customize it a little, it looks a lot better. About the only bad point is that the commands you can add to the button bar are limited. I couldn't get redirection to work (I wanted to be able to click a button and have it create a text file listing with the contents of an archive), so I had to resort to writing a small batch file and then having the button execute that. You also can't assign hotkeys to the commands you add to the button bar and there doesn't seem to be any way to have it process multiple files, one file at a time. It just feeds all the selected names to the command at once.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sort of OT, but relevant. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.