Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:32:27 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Favorite NON-Anime « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your Favorite NON-Anime  (Read 6829 times)
The Waffle Man
« on: April 29, 2001, 05:40:54 AM »

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but as an animation fan I think the market is over-saturated with anime. I mean, I go into tower video looking to buy an animated video, and what is there? Anime and MTV animated series, and that's it. What if I want some good old fashioned surrealist Czech animation, huh? HUH? Sorry. I get worked up easily. Rather then rant all day, I'm going to ask you, the readers, what your favorite NON-Anime animations are (they can come from Japan, as long as they aren't in the traditional anime style).

My favorites are, in reverse order of preference (drum-roll please)...
10. Batman: The Animated Series (Series by ?, starring Mark     Hamill as the Joker
9. Eek the Cat (series by ?)
8. Nightmare Before Christmas (Feature length film, created by    Tim Burton)
7. Sirene (Short by Raoul Servais, can be seen at atomfilms.com)
6. Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot (Series by ?)
5. The Tick (Series by Ben Edlund)
4. Glue (Series by David Freemont, also available on       wildbrain.com)
3. Alice (Feature length film by Jan Svenkmeyer)
2. Joe Paradise (Series by Roque Ballesteros, can be seen at         wildbrain.com)
1. The Cameraman's Revenge (Short by Ladislaw Starewicz, Inventor    of the stop motion film, his are still some of the best).

Well, there you go. Those are the things I like, what about you?
Scott
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2001, 07:50:31 AM »

UNDERDOG is my choice. Simon Bar Sinister, Riff Raff, Sweatpolly Purebread
Andrew K
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2001, 08:56:33 AM »

Alice is great, and so is Svanmajker's Faust.  I haven't seen any Karl Zeman yet, but On the Comet and Weapons of Destruction are both availabel on video, and I've lots of good things about Journey to the Beginning of Time. Some his films played at the American Cinemathque in Los Angeles not to long ago, and they're playing some animated films by Aleksander Ptushko there this month too (as well as unMSTed versions of The Day the Earth Froze and The Sword and the Dragon. Hopefully, enough people will see them so that their IMDB ratings go up. And if anyone on the board is going to see them, tell us about them!). One of my favorite animated films is Fantastic Planet, which has alternately been interpreted as both an indictment of racisim and an anti-Communist allegory.
The Waffle Man
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2001, 09:49:45 AM »

I forgot about fantastic planet, which is strange, as rented the DVD a couple of weeks ago. Have you ever seen Time Masters? That's another film by the director of Fantastic planet. It has a totaly different tone though. The animation style and story are totaly diferent from Fantastic Planet, but Moebius did the character designs.
On another topic, I forgot to include Inspector Gadget on my top ten animations list, I have no idea what it would bump off, though, so I'll just designate it as number Pi.
El Chupacabra
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2001, 01:32:07 AM »

For some reason, most hard-core animation
fans dislike anime.  I think it's just like
any other genre, 90% crap (but 10% great).

Anyway, my favorite Western animators are:

Ralph Bakshi (Wizards, Heavy Traffic)

Peter Chung (Aeon Flux, Alexander)

Rene Laloux (Fantastic Planet, Lightyears)

Mike Judge (B&B, Milton)

Bill Plympton (I Married a Strange Person)

& for the old-schoolers, Max Fleischer.

The animated film I'm most looking forward
to is "Waking Life".
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2001, 12:54:43 PM »

Gotta go with::::> Big guy and Rusty  >< Bill Plympton >< Iron Giant >< Max Fleischer's Superman Toons >< Anything with Ludwig Von Drake >< War Planets( great Celtic Style theme music,too) >< Any thing by the Warner Bros. Geniuses from Termite Terrice ) ><  And does anyone else miss the Consecutive International Festivals of Animation? We used to get them in Columbus, and they were great, because you never could predict what you'd get. Lots of Moody stuff from eastern europe among the mix.
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2001, 07:01:44 PM »

In no order.

-Batman:The Animated Seris
-Batman Beyond
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-Transformers (old school all the way baby. none of this new Beast Wars crap)
-He-Man
-Thundercats
-Clerks
-Simpsons
-Anything on Canadian Comedy Shorts
Josh Leman
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2001, 10:01:59 PM »

I usually end up liking animated stuff, almost no matter what it is.  There's nothing like getting home at midnight from an 8-hour day at your crappy job, getting a bag of chips, and turning on Cartoon Network.  It's sublimely relaxing.

But anyway, I love Nightmare Before Christmas, Iron Giant, Fantasia 2000, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Looney Tunes, all Disney except some of the crap they've put out over the last decade, and the works of a small independent animator named Chris Sullivan who visited my college a couple of months ago.

Also, one day I was flipping channels and I got to some Russian animation special on Independent Film Channel.  The cartoon I saw was about a guy who had a land-fish for a pet--a fish that lived on land, like a dog.  It sat at the dinner table with him and ate eggs, and then it tied his shoelaces for him.  Then one day the guy took the land-fish to a lake, where it fell in the water and DROWNED.  For me at least, it was more tragic than Schindler's List.  I'd love to have that cartoon on a DVD or something so I could watch it whenever I wanted.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2001, 10:53:13 PM »

There's a DVD series called MASTERS OF RUSSIAN ANIMATION.  You might be able to find it on one of those.
Faerie Of Death
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2001, 10:40:45 PM »

In no particular order

Nightmare Before Christmas
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000
Digimon: Digital Monsters (don't know why, but it's oddly addictive)
The Little Mermaid (grew up with it, memorized every line)
Alice in Wonderland
Thundercats!!!!
Masters of the Universe Christmas Special
The Aristocats

And, though it's not really a favorite, I'd like to point out that Mulan is the first Disney movie (that I know of) to have blood, dead people, and the closest Disney will ever get to full frontal nudity all in one movie.  What a bargain!
Gerry
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2001, 05:53:44 PM »

Here's a few of my favs:

Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit & The Return of the King
Heavy Metal
Thundercats (but it is very anime-ish IMO)
Bambi Meets Godzilla
Scott
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2001, 09:00:37 PM »

H.R. Puffinstuff and Sigman and the Sea Monsters. This is great TV.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Favorite NON-Anime « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.