Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:28:20 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Andrew...a really FLY guy... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Andrew...a really FLY guy...  (Read 4067 times)
Flangepart
« on: April 30, 2001, 01:04:39 PM »

Great review of that classic. BTW, on the subject of soul loss during transport, The site STARDESTROYER On yahoo, pits the UFP aginst a resergent Empire, and the battle are rather intresting. Enterprise Vs. Impstar II and the like. In the Fiction, A Jedi fleeing the Empire, Seeing Fed Transporter Technology, decides that all feds are just energy greated clones of dead people. The Idea of "Souls slipping away from a body in an energy state" Is what the Site master worked his fiction with. Interesting! Check it out, guys.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2001, 05:27:07 PM »

I believe Stephen King wrote a story similar to the "lost soul" concept.  Story goes that a scientist had succeeded in creating a working teleporting device, but every time he sent something living through they dropped dead once they reached the other side.  While puzzling over that, he observes that when a living thing is sent through the teleporter unconscious they arrive at the other end no worse for wear.  Turns out that while the actual teleportation is instantaneous to the outiside viewer, the mind going through it percieves billions upon billions of years passing.  Put yourself in a isolation tank and you'll start hallucinating after an hour or so.  Now stretch that out to an inconceivable length of time.  Nope, no enlightened buddha-states for these folks, only gibbering insanity and Azathoth's piping.

But let's hear what Monty Python have to say on the subject:

"Harry: I've had a team working on this over and over the past few weeks, and what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts...One... people are not wearing enough hats. Two...matter is energy; in the Universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally percieve. Some energies have a spiritual source which acts upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everday trivia.

Max: What was that about hats again?"
Vermin Boy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2001, 05:28:10 PM »

Thanks also for posting a wav file of the "cat atoms" line-- That one had my dad and I in stitches when we saw the movie on TV a few months back!
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2001, 07:29:26 PM »

Anything to keep this bunch happy.  Should I ever falter I fully expect another member of the pack to try and pull me down.  Then I'd be ripped to pieces by the other members.

Funny that one science fiction story comes up.  I remember another about a kid who wanted to see what happens during a transfer shunt (or whatever you want to slap on it for a moniker).  He holds his breath when they give him the sleeping gas.  Obviously there are problems upon arrival.

Andrew
Mofo Rising
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2001, 09:26:20 PM »

That's the story I was thinking of.  If memory serves me right, it's "The Jaunt" by Stephen King.
Nathan
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2001, 10:26:43 AM »

Yeah, that's one that sticks with you.  "It's eternity in there."

Nathan
Longer than you think!
Kev
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2001, 10:36:29 PM »

A great teleportation story I read in a sci-fi pulp 25 years ago was "The Last Leap" by Daniel F. Galouye.  The premise being that people are "energized" in a chamber and thus given the ability to basically think themselves (or "leap") from place to place.  "I want to be across the room," and *BANG* (big sound caused by creation of sudden vacuum/instantaneous air displacement) there you are!

The problem is, every human test subject gets a bit crazed after awhile and they all finally vanish, never to return.  So the main scientist subjects himself to the process to investigate, and it's fun for awhile (going to the park in a flash, visiting the library, whatever) but he begins to realize what's up.  He manages to beg for medication to numb his thought processes a bit, and is in the infirmary trying to stay mellow and keep his mind inactive, when a nurse walks in, sees him lying there looking bummed.  She throws open the drapes and says, "Oh professor, you shouldn't be in here...the *SUN* is so beautiful today!"

Need I say more?  His eyes bug out, he screams, and *BANG* he's gone...    

That's how I remember the story.  Would have made a great Twilight Zone.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Andrew...a really FLY guy... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.