Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:03:22 PM
714473 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spinal Tap sequel « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spinal Tap sequel  (Read 1580 times)
Luke Bannon
« on: October 04, 2002, 02:52:09 AM »

Recently while in a video shop I came across a tape called "Return of Spinal Tap". I wasn't sure whether to get it or not. Can anybody out there advise me on if I should get it or not?
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2002, 02:59:07 AM »

The IMDb gives it 5/10.*  I haven't even seen This is Spinal Tap , so I can't tell you whether or not it's worth a look.

Trust him.  that was funny.

Oh well.  At least Cullen's laughing.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2002, 03:02:55 AM »

While I'd like to see it sometime, a lot of the buzz is neutral to negative. You can try the IMDB entry's "user comments" and "external reviews" links to get a consensus...
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 03:04:02 AM »

aHA!  I beat Squishy in giving an IMDb entry!

yeeeHA!

Squishy
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2002, 03:18:40 AM »

Hee hee. Damn ye, Cullen, damn ye ter Hell!! :)
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2002, 03:30:14 PM »

Who gives a fig about IMDB reviews?

There are two versions of the Spinal Tap sequel in reality. Neither is better than the other, but one has more cameo clips (the shorter one) while the second is nearly the complete concert.

You had to "be there" to really appreciate that concert video.

And allow me to gloat ... I WAS!!!

The Spinal Tap Reunion Tour of ... gosh, when was that? 1992? Man, that was one of the top five best concerts I've ever attended to this day. They really were excellent -- they played very well and the actual show was hilarious. It doesn't translate as well watching it on a video (and Guest and company seem a little tired and not as tight in the UK concert -- it was the end of the tour).

If you're a Taphead, you're NOT REALLY a Taphead if you haven't seen the reunion video. It's nothing like the first film -- it's really for die-hard fans and for those who saw the 1992 tour.

If you fall  into one of those groups, you'll enjoy the heck out of either version of Return of Spinal Tap -- it also builds on the "personal Tap history" that keeps growing out. It's a must-have for fans. If you're not a die-hard fan, it's probably not going to do much for you.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 03:45:15 PM »

The Responses _____________________________________________________________
Squishy writes:

"Hee hee. Damn ye, Cullen, damn ye ter Hell!! :)"

I'm not gloating.  No more than I'm dancing a jig around your SLOW A**.  Hehehehe! :-)

Abby writes:

"Who gives a fig about IMDB reviews? "

Spoilsport! :-)  (Actually, I'm glad someone could give Luke an answer)

The Apology  - For Luke _____________________________________________________
Sorry about taking over your thread.  I behave.  At least it's not a political flame war, yes?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Cullen, who is actually this weird in real life.

Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2002, 03:52:18 PM »

It is not nearly as good as This is Spinal Tap... but I didn't expect it to be and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I also had the album and the songs' lyrics are actually a lot funnier.  The title song is "Break Like the Wind."  "Clam Caravan" and the "Sun Never Sweats" are also very good.  Also - "The Majesty of Rock."
(a sample of the lyrics)

The Majesty of Rock
The Mystery of Roll
The darning of the sock
The scoring of the goal
A farmer takes a wife
A barber takes a pole
We're in this forever and ever...

But either way, it is worth the buy just to have them on tape doing the extended funk version of Sex Farm Woman.

Not as funny as the movie, but there were some terribly funny scenes.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
raj
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2002, 04:17:27 PM »

I haven't seen it, but I vaguely recall reviews saying it was not as good as the first (naturally, squeals hardly ever are.)  Hey, if it's only a couple of bucks to rent, why not?

BTW, the volume control on my stereo goes up to 30! (really)
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 04:48:39 PM »

The entire 'Break Like The Wind' album works a lot better if you saw the concert.

Apart from my honest opinion that "Christmas With The Devil" is the greatest holiday tune ever recorded ("The Sugar Plums are rancid and the stockings are in flames ....") -- which predates the reunion -- I adore the tune "Rainy Day Sun." It's actually just a really good, well-produced faux vintage British Wave ditty.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2002, 04:51:07 PM »

Oh, and I believe at least at one point, the sung lyrics to Majesty of Rock are:

"We're in this together and ever...." which just makes it even more brilliantly stupid.

I'm, uh, a die-hard Taphead if you haven't guessed.
Luke Bannon
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2002, 05:46:44 AM »

Well, I'll give it a try then.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spinal Tap sequel « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.