Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:30:41 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tear-jerking films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tear-jerking films  (Read 4742 times)
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 05, 2002, 04:01:18 AM »

Edward Scissorhands- The end of this movie never fails to grab me. Danny Elfman's score fits so perfectly.

Mr. Holland's Opus- The only film I've ever cried tears of joy over. I thought perhaps something was wrong with me, but others experienced the same thing.

Forrest Gump- I know some of you guys hate it, and I certainly have problems with it, but when Forrest finds out he has a son, and he asks Jenny if the kid has the same problem he has, it's just so touching.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 11:44:39 AM »

Call me insane, but I got a little misty at the eulogy for the director in Terror Firmer the first time I saw it (and no, I'm not making that up).

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
AndyC
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 01:02:42 PM »

The ending of It's a Wonderful Life gets me every time. Maybe it's because I identify with George Bailey, a community-minded guy who questions the choices he's made and the value of his own contributions. The whole message about the difference one good man can make is quite powerful.

My emotional response usually begins around the revelation of Harry's grave, builds through the 'let me live again' speech and peaks during the joyous ending as George gets a huge outpouring of support from the community. If I've been able to hold it back that far, the inscription in the book usually gets a tear or two to fall - "no man is a failure who has friends."

Great, great movie. One of my all-time favourites.
Haze
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 01:23:28 PM »

Speaking of Tear jerkers, a friend of mine was talking about crying during a walk to Remember and although I have yet to figure out why, he ended up asking me what I had cried through. This posed a perplexing question as I knew I had before but could never remember which one it was.

Ginger Snaps was one that almost made me but that wasn't the one. I can safely say that the film is a horror movie but can't remember which one it was.

The Guardian was another one that might have made me cry if not for the whole the baby wasn't even killed part but never mind.
Susan
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 03:57:25 PM »

I don't get misty eyed much. 3 movies in recollection have made me actually sob.

The Color Purple - and sometimes i only have to catch a certain scene
Ponette - nobody has seen this (it's foriegn)
Dancer in the Dark (i actually had those hiccup sobs on this flick)

:-)

John
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 09:41:08 PM »

Testament
Chris K.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2002, 11:00:29 PM »

Next to IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE for causing a tear-jerker, I would also place the Empire film GHOST WARRIOR right next to that subject.

The ending of GHOST WARRIOR was just sad and I did have a tear find it's way out of my eye. Also, Richard Band's great score was also possible for making that tear show up as well.
chris
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 03:34:51 AM »

Elephant Man: works every time.  I'm on the verge of blubbering as soon as he's introduced.  The poor guy.

The Ninth Configuration: Scott Wilson's speech at the end always brings a tear or two

Jack:  My most embarrassing moment.  I was up really late and Jack came on TV.  I thought, what the heck, let's see how sucky Coppala is now.  However, I was tricked.  I thought it was a straight comedy, I didn't know it was sad and I was completely unprepared, and a totally offguard due to my physical and mental tiredness due to the late hour.  It caught me unawares and I was thinking, "Oh my God, the poor kid just wants to play with his friends!  Why God, would you let this happen!?".  Before sanity returned I was in tears.  Come to think of it, no one saw me do this so I could get away with it.  No one will ever know.  Ha ha, I'm so smart.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 04:29:44 AM »

Once, under the influence of painkillers, I was watching Adrian Lyne's Lolita. I was just bawling. "Why can't they be togher? Age is nothing but a number!". When I sobered up I felt like an idiot.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2002, 06:11:58 AM »

The end of Saving Private Ryan always makes me shed a tear.  Also in The Patriot when Mel Gibson's daughter speaks for the first time near the end (daddy I love you, don't go) is a particularly heartwrenching scene.  Another one is the end of "Pay It Forward".
Fearless Freep

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2002, 08:02:09 AM »

"The Luzhin Defense"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2002, 11:10:17 AM »

"Saving Private Ryan" is one that got me.  I saw this in the theater, which was full of older men and their wives.  When the film was done and the lights came on everyone was still sitting and many of the older guys were crying.

Oddly enough, "The Iron Giant" is another.  That would be near the end, when the title character says who he wants to be.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
KJ
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 01:03:41 PM »

*mild spoiler*

The Others- I always cry whenever Nicole does her little speech after finding out...the secret big twist. "At first, I dodn't know what the pillow was doing in my hands..."

I also cried during Requiem for a Dream and One Hour Photo..
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 02:01:59 PM »

Pvt. Ryan. The music drives it home. Same with Band of Brothers.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 03:22:03 PM »

Stand By Me...makes me remember the friends i had when i was 12...my family moved and i had to leave them behind...like the movie says, you never have friends again like you did at 12 or so...

-mr. henry

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tear-jerking films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.