Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:18 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Question on "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (SPOILERS) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question on "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (SPOILERS)  (Read 2062 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 07, 2002, 01:55:00 AM »

!!!!If you haven't seen this film yet then don't read any further because the question I have concerns the beast in it and will ruin the movie for you if read.!!!!!

My question is this:  What the hell was the animal (beast) that was wearing the armor?  They stated that it was brought back from Africa.  The man (villain) with the bad disfigured arm said early in the film that he was attacked by a lion but in the end when the hero strokes the upper eyelid of it I can't tell what it was.  Was it a lion?  Was it a tiger?  Was it a bear?  Oh my!

I have to say that I highly enjoyed this film and have even considered purchasing it for my collection.  It's one of those movies where you just have to let yourself go and take it in for all that it is, which is MANY MANY things!

Foywonder
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 02:31:05 AM »

It was a lion in armor that had been specially trained.

Check out this link which is about the actual legend the movie was inspired by. You could still make a really good movie based on the original legend.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/bizzareworld/beastofgevauden.html
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 12:58:57 PM »

Foywonder wrote:
>
> It was a lion in armor that had been specially trained.
>

I've also heard it suggested that it was a giant hyena, but I can't remember for the life of me what the source is.  Personally I prefer the lion theory.
Anonymous User
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 11:54:44 PM »

Hyena? No way. Look at the Beast's eyes, teeth and tongue. Look at the golden fur surrounding the eyes in two scenes (the end, and the scene where the Beast backs the woman against the wall in that small house).

Lion.

Foywonder
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 12:23:11 AM »

I know its a lion because I read an interview with the director where he specifically said it was a lion. Besides, hyenas don't get that big.
C Reynolds
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 10:12:18 AM »

I just watched this film for the first time last night, and it was great. Although the first hour wasn't hugely exciting, it really picked up speed when the beast attacks Gregoire de Fronsac in the barn; highlights for me were:

Gregoire and Manni setting traps for the beast like the end of predator. Naturally the beast is no match for Mark Dacascos' kung fu

Gregoire turning into Rambo and launching a one-man attack on the villain's hideout.

Gregoire and Jean fighting at the end. Jean has a really bizarre sort of wooden sword that splits into pieces that left me open-mouthed the first time he used it.

Despite Gregoire starting to fall in love, he makes a bee-line for the nearest brothel at the first opportunity and sleeps with the most expensive prostitute in the place.

By the way, in a documentary on the DVD, the consultant for the movie says that the beast in the movie is supposed to be a lion, although historically it was more likely to have been a dog-wolf hybrid. One thing that did confuse me was why Jean's arm was deformed. If he was telling the truth early on about his arm being savaged by the lion, why did he claim to have lost the arm through gangrene?
Anonymous User
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 03:20:42 PM »

Good question.

One thing that confused ME was that Our Hero is supposed to be a widely-travelled naturalist and taxidermist, yet he's puzzled by the Beast, even when he gets close enough to clearly see what it is.

African lions were certainly known to well-educated and cosmopolitan 18th century Europeans. They appeared in art and stories, in traveller's tales and on royal and noble coats of arms as far north as England.  Yet Gregoire does not seem to know exactly what the Beast is.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2002, 12:56:42 PM »

The fact that it is supposedly a lion is the biggest problem I have with the film. A lion is a cat like animal, so it withdraws its claws into its paw sheaths; therefore, its tracks would leave no claw marks. A wolf, on the other hand, is a dog like animal, so it cannot withdraw its claws into its paw sheaths; therefore, its tracks would leave claw marks. Therefore, there is no way that the experienced hunters and trackers in the film would mistake the Beast for a wolf.
As for its being a possible hyena, I'll take possible credit for that one. Having posted on some other board or the other, a long time ago, that the beast might have been a hyena. It might not be a hyena, but, I can't accept the fact that it is a lion. Enjoyable film nevertheless. Watch and enjoy!
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2002, 08:16:19 PM »

Really cool flick that I plan on adding to the collection(saw it on the big screen with a nearly theatre). But I think they kinda misstepped by not going with the supernatural angle(assuming it's supossed to be a really huge, tough lion). It's a fantasy for crying out loud, it doesn't need to be 100% realistic!

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Question on "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (SPOILERS) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.