Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:28:59 PM
714456 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ahead of their time « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ahead of their time  (Read 2827 times)
AndyC
« on: October 23, 2002, 12:43:51 PM »

Just thinking about all of the cheesy and dated 50s and 60s sci-fi movies that I enjoy, and a thought occurred to me. How many movies from that period can we name that were ahead of their time, or at least given a decent budget and treated with enough respect to raise them above other movies of the time?

I'd have to put Forbidden Planet on that list. It's still a very cool movie, the effects look good, the story is interesting, and it holds up in repeated viewings. We should also keep in mind that Gene Roddenberry largely ripped this movie off in creating Star Trek.

I'd also add Fantastic Voyage to the list, as well as 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Others?
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 12:57:33 PM »

I just reviewed THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE (1961) for my site, and I think this would fall into that category.  Despite a very limited budget, Val Guest managed to make an excellent disaster movie 10 years before disaster movies became the rage in the 70s.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 01:43:43 PM »

I've read reviews in regards to Ed Wood that said his plots, with the military as conspirators/anti-arms race etc., was way ahead of his time.  Plan 9 has a very X-Files feel to it, and the UFO run-in with the commercial airliner bit was re-used in Close Enounters of the Third Kind (in the novelization Men in Black board the plane and take away everyone's cameras).

I think I stretched that farther than you could salt water taffy!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 03:09:16 PM »

Hey, don't forget Glen or Glenda: Say what you will about Ed, it took guts to release something like that in 1950s America.

Personally, I think Dwain Esper's Maniac was ahead of its time. Look at your typical 1930s horror films, then look at Maniac; With the exception of Freaks, nothing even came CLOSE to that kind of all-out insanity (The scene where the orangutan rapist is injected with super-adrenalin is one of the most amazing scenes I've ever seen, and I say that with only a touch of irony).

And then there's Bunuel & Dali's Un Chien Andalou; there's something to be said about a 1928 silent film that opens with a graphic shot of a girl's eye sliced open with a straight-razor.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 05:32:57 PM »

The Thing falls into this category I think.  

And if you want to go a generation earlier, King Kong may be the most ahead-of-its-time monster movie ever.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 07:36:29 AM »

All bow down and worship Forbidden Planet!  Definitely at least a decade ahead of it's time.  I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it and my video tape of FP is probably getting worn out now.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" would also get my nomination; I think it was eclipsed on release by that supposedly-cute walking genitalia "ET".  Another of my all-time favourites.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 10:42:38 AM »

Remember when Leslie Neilson was a serious actor?
....Love Forbidden Planet. Love the music. Can watch it now with out quoteing from Airplane. Sad, realy.
....Wish i had my own Robby the Robot.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
John
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 09:43:24 PM »

>Wish i had my own Robby the Robot.

I think they're going for about $10,000-20,000 now. Check this site;

The Robotman
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2002, 04:14:27 PM »

To this list, let us add George Pal's "War of the Worlds" and "The Time Machine."
Even today, they rate as being two of the best science fiction films ever made. Enjoy!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2002, 04:29:45 PM »

"The Day the Earth Caught Fire" is quite good, especially considering that the premise lends itself to a talky film.  Screw up a talky film and I start falling asleep.  "When Worlds Collide" (another Pal film, go figure) should fit in here too.

I have one word for modern anime.  That would be "Akira."  Of course, all of the films leading back from "Mononoke" team are in there.  "Nausicaa" especially.

"Student Bodies" beat out big budget films like "Scary Movie" to the punchline.

Max Schreck as "Nosferatu" is, to me, the most horrifying vampire ever to appear on film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Offthewall
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2002, 07:03:15 PM »

Jason and the Argonaunts as well as Citizen Kane
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2002, 01:11:34 PM »

Ohhhhh!......Robby....so close, and yet so far. So far out of my price range!
....Still....it would be so neat to have Robby as a doorman.  Polite, but firm with those pesky D2D sales gerbils. (Sigh)...oh well, a man can dream.....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
John
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2002, 06:07:45 PM »

>Ohhhhh!......Robby....so close, and yet so far. So far out of my price range!

And of course you can't have Robby without having robot B9, since they were both designed by the same guy. Last I checked, B9 was cheaper at only around $7,500.

>Still....it would be so neat to have Robby as a doorman. Polite, but firm with those
>pesky D2D sales gerbils.

Nah, for that you need a full-sized Endoskeleton replica. Sorry, don't have an URL for that one at the moment. I also have an old catalog around here someplace with a 9-15 foot alien queen replica.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ahead of their time « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.