Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:45:34 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  sequals of Halloween « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: sequals of Halloween  (Read 2695 times)
Evan3
« on: November 05, 2002, 09:17:18 PM »

Yes, I know you will say, what is this guy doing on the website, but I just saw Halloween for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 18 years of life without seeing Halloween or friday the 13th or texas chainsaw massacre (which I saw last week, it was a little too disturbing, so i didnt like it). I am considering getting a halloween sequasl, but i dont want them to be sub par and ruin the first? Are they worth seeing. The only Sequal I have seen that was much better than the first was Scream 2 (much better than Scream) However I have seen to many bad ones to leave this series to chance (Jaws 2, Exorcist 2, I Still know what you did last summer)
So, what, if any were your favorites for Halloween sequals, and was that newest one good at all? Did John Carpenter do any?

On a totally unrelated tangent, did any of you remember seeing that Village of the Damned remake with Kirstie Allie. My memory tells me it was good and a lot of fun, but I just cant remember for sure.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 02:21:35 AM »

Halloween 2 is the best of the sequels. It has the same style and picks up immediately after the first. Skip part 3, Michael Myers isn't even in it and it has nothing to do with the other films. Part 4 is the second best of the sequels. Part 5 is crap and the Mask looks damn silly. I enjoyed Part 6 but I seem to be in the minority. H20 and Resurrection are okay in that post-Scream "ironic" way. I consider Halloween one of the best horror films ever. It has a style and creepiness hundreds of films have tried to copy but it's never been watched.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
mmv3000
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 02:53:00 AM »

if you HAVE to, watch part 2. Skip all the rest like the plague.
Andre Toulon
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 09:53:59 AM »

I agree with JR that you should watch part 2.  

I really enjoyed part 4 as well, but it was the first movie I saw in the series.  So I definitely recommend seeing parts 2 and 4.  H20 left a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned - probably worth a cheap rental one night, though.

Although part 3 shouldn't even be called Halloween, I did find it watchable.  Just know going in that:

1. Michael Myers is no where in the script
2. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the first two (or any after)
3. Watch it as if it's under a different title - like "Halloween Night" or something like that.  Except that name's taken, but you get the idea.

I don't remember a thing about parts 5 and 6 so they mustn't have been that good.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 01:48:06 PM »

Halloween is my second favorite movie of all time and I think the sequels ruin the first movie's thrills and supernatural subtext (IMHO).  Thoughts on the sequels.

Halloween 2 - One slime - For years John Carpenter and Debra Hill refused to do a sequel, feeling the first movie was fine and any more would push their luck.  Irwin Yablans and Moutsapha Akkad eventually sued Carpenter (who owned a significant part of the sequel rights) for unfair business practices and the result was this, a poorly thought out continuation of the Halloween tale.  It picks right up at the ending of the first, with Loomis again chasing after Michael and Laurie getting carted off to Haddonfield Memorial Hospital.  Director Rick (Halloween: Resurrection) Rosenthal, with help from returning DP Dean Cundy, recreates the visual tone of the first movie but, as Carpenter himself said, there is no story left to tell.  So the movie is packed with grisly murders of meaningless characters and little suspense can be found.  As was the case with Carpenter's The Fog, Rosenthal's first cut was a disaster, so Carpenter shot some additional material to 'punch it up'.   Chas. Balun calls this a cinematic eye sore, I agree.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch.  3 slimes.  This was the last Halloween movie produced by John Carpenter and Debra Hill and the only one to not feature Michael Myers (although John Carpenter's Halloween is playing on television during the movie's final reel).  Quartermass creator Nigel Kneale reportedly helped created this science fiction/horror hybrid about a Halloween mask manufacturer with a sinister prank on his samhain festival agenda.  Carpenter and Hill had wanted to move away from the storyline of two previous movies (the ending of Halloween 2 should be where the Myers saga ends, as it was ended that way)  and produce a series of Halloween movies based on the idea and/or tone of the festival.  Sadly writer/director Tommy Lee Wallce, while handling himself fairly well in the director's chair, cannot write an intelligent story to tell.  Still, I like this movie for at least trying some different.  My review at scifilm can be found here...http://www.scifilm.org/reviews2/halloween3.html.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - 2 slimes - Although she had nothing to do with the movie, Debra Hill was given several scripts to look over for a new Myers on the loose Halloween sequel.  She liked this one the best, I can see why.  Alan McElroy's story is a solid base hit (sadly some dialogue needs tweaking, but the writer's strike prevented rewrites) that has a comatose Myers awakening and a scarred Loomis again in hot pursuits.  Director Dwight H. Little creates a nice creepy atmosphere and the Alan Howarth score has a great dark tone to it.  Of the Myers sequels, this is my favorite.

Halloween 5 (The Revenge of Michael Myers) - 1 slime - As with the first sequel, part 5 starts with the ending of 4, but then jumps ahead a year with a truly sanity snapping segue.  Originally Moutsapha Akkad intended to have the sequels be serial, a new chapter getting released every year, but this box office stumble put and end to it.  Director Dominique Orthin Gerard attempts to ape Carpenter's patented "They are creeping up behind you" shots, but builds zero suspense.  The movie also attempts to tie up the plot threads left by 4 and string out some more for 6, but the results are uninteresting.  This was the last Halloween sequel I bothered watching.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers - This movie is the most reviled of the series and I have never seen it, but the title made me wonder if they would use other Pink Panter titles for Halloween entries (Loomis was more and more like a psychotic Inspector Clouseau when you think about it).  But Trail of..., Strikes Again, and Son of... never came to be.

Halloween H2O - The term H2O means WATER, so a watered down sequel that ignores the 4-6 storyline and was directed by Steve (Friday the 13th Part 2, 3, and Lake Placid) Miner.  Easy pass on this one.

Halloween: Resurrection - Halloween 2 director Rich Rosenthal returns for this blending of Blair Witch camera play and Slasher movie plot.  A bunch of dimwits agree to play Big Brother in the Myers house.  Michael shows up to crash the party.  Jamie Lee Curtis shows up long enough to get herself removed from the series (she agreed to appear in this ONLY if her character was killed off early in the movie, which it was)

A Halloween 9 is being planned...

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
John
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 10:04:28 PM »

>Halloween H2O - The term H2O means WATER

That was a really bad title decision on the part of the studio, since that's what it makes me think of also. Actually it's Halloween H20 (two-zero) as in 20 years later.

I agree with most of the posters here in that part II was the best sequel.
Creepozoid
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2002, 10:53:41 PM »

HALLOWEEN II: Really nice attempt at re-capturing the original

HALLOWEEN III: Ok, I don't care what anyone says but this movie rocks and I wish they would let Mike retire and try another in-theme-only sequel

HALLOWEEN 4: A decent and sequel. Worth your while.

HALLOWEEN 5: Not quite. This flick is all to slow but stil entertaining.

HALLOWEEN: CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS: Rather dopey but not that bad.

HALLOWEEN H20: Watered down indeed. Nothing more than a cash-in on SCREAM, but ok since Curtis is in it.

HALLOWEEN RESURECTION: Groan.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2002, 11:03:32 PM »

Nathan's got a fairly good grasp on what made Halloween work and why having a sequel retroactively negates what worked in the first

Halloween 2

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 02:00:26 AM »

Remember, Evan3, you still have the option of not watching ANY of the sequels.  I saw Halloween II a long time ago and since then, I've just pretended the sequels were never made and watch the original every October 31st.  

The Friday the 13th sequels are more fun I think because they aren't as outshined by the original.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  sequals of Halloween « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.