Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:15:06 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Main Reason I Didn't Turn Him In... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Main Reason I Didn't Turn Him In...  (Read 1153 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 04, 2002, 06:34:27 AM »

This is in reference to my previous post "Question About the Legality of Selling Certain Films".  (please read it first, then this will make more sense!)

From the moment I noticed that my movie was a fake, it took me about 10 seconds to decide whether to turn him in or not.  Obviously, I did not.  
    The main reason why I chose not to I think was the quality of what I received.
This was a very nice, although illegal, product I had bought.  He had obviously taken great pains to make it look as realistic as possible.   I previously mentioned that the entire sleeve was done on a color printer.  This was done very nicely as well.  It looks EXACTLY like the original.  On the cover it has the pic of the satellite dish with the tentacles coming out of it and the eye at it's center.  
All done in fine,  full blazing color.  
Upon a more thorough, closer examination though you can easily tell it was done on a home printer.
    I then realized that he probably had made A LOT of these copies because as soon as I won that particular auction, I checked on E-bay a week later and he had another "Terrorvision" for sale.  
All of the wording and catchy sales devices he'd used on my auction were the same as on this new one!
    The point I'm trying to make is that had I received a s**tty recording surrounded by an even crappier case from him, I probably would've at least notified E-bay.
    He saved himself by paying attention to detail.
(I'm trying to dig up a brochure for his shop that he included with the film I bought.  It had his website address on it and an 800 #.  If I manage to find it among the several tons of old papers and stuff I keep for those "just in case" times, I'll post it up here, assuming he's still in business and hasn't been shut down yet.)

Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 12:25:51 PM »

He saved himself by paying attention to detail.

So the secret to breaking the law is to do it in a professional manner?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 01:57:27 PM »

I have to agree that the law is the law, and this guy sounds like a bit of a scumbag anyway, based on the description in your previous post. Still, I'd be a bit torn if he's the only source of the movie. If the company that owns the rights to the movie chooses to do nothing with it, I can't say I'd have much sympathy for them. Are legitimate copies of Terrorvision currently available anywhere?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
jmc
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 12:53:33 AM »

I buy dupes like this all the time on EBay....I've saved a ton of cash doing so.
I also buy them from other sources.  It's the only way to see a lot of films out there.
Actually, I'm surprised anyone who has been into the bad movie underground for any length of time would be taken aback by this practice--it's pretty much standard operating procedure.  If you see the language in the TOS regarding films being sold from one collector to another, and no rights given or assumed you know you're buying a dupe.  

And as was said in the other thread, this is much different than someone selling boots of films that are currently available.  Sorry, I refuse to feel guilty for buying a dub of GALAXY OF TERROR for $7 when a crappy ex-rental copy goes for $50 or more.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 03:15:27 AM »

Actually, I'm surprised anyone who has been into the bad movie underground for any length of time would be taken aback by this practice--it's pretty much standard operating procedure

*shrug* You brought it up

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Main Reason I Didn't Turn Him In... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.