Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:42:35 PM
714387 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most Disappointing Ending « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most Disappointing Ending  (Read 3145 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2002, 02:02:20 PM »

Screamers, the one with Peter Weller, really disappointed me in the end. I don't know how closely it stuck to the Philip K. Dick story, but I thought it was pretty lame. We kept hearing about how the robots were reproducing and improving themselves in an automated underground factory. I expected the climax to take place there. Instead, we have the human survivors reaching a spacecraft and leaving. Oh, and there was some of that worn out clichee of the robots taking their first step toward becoming human by learning to kill their own kind.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2002, 02:07:13 PM »

The other problem with Screamers was that it seemed to be reaching a point of wrapping up...and the *another*  surprise comes along and we're off again. This happened several times and it got annoying. Like the had several ideas for how to end it...so they used them all in sequence.

I liked the movie as a whole, but it had me saying "Allright already, just end it!"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pokethulhu
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2002, 02:20:14 PM »

The whole robot that feels love comes across a little strange.

David is supposed to be the first robot that's really feeling emotions and not just fakes them. The others are supposed to be unfeeling machines, who just simulate bodily reactions and behavior.

Asa far as I know, emotions are mostly a bio-chemical thing. How can a machine NOT only fake it. But it's SF and I can live with that. What I don't understand is that the other mecha a radically different to that female mecha the professor shows to his folks.

Joe runs from the police. Why? He seems to be afraid. Would it be massively impractical to programm a mecha to do this?
Why does he follow David around? He's supposed to be the unfeeling sort and also believes the Fairy can be found. Does that mean he's also following a dream? How that?

What about the macha at the Flesh Fair. They seems to be afraid. Why? Some are supposed to be archaic models.

Damn my head hurts.
Evan3
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2002, 03:53:14 PM »

I must concur, A lot of that movie didnt make sense. Spielburg is a great director and most people consider Kubrick great(I just dont like him). However their styles just dont mix or match Spielburg likes to add a good feeling to his movies, while Kubrick loves to thrust violence at you, which was the main problem.

Also, is it just me, or did you all think that that that mother was really mean and b***hy. I thought she was a bad person, so I was upset that David's whole oddessey was just to find the woman who abandoned him in the first place. Yuk.
John
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2002, 05:00:03 PM »

>Joe runs from the police. Why? He seems to be afraid.

Also, for the most part, he acts like a machine, not really caring if he's caught or destroyed, but then there's that one line where he tells David "They made us too smart, too quick..." where he seems to be truly sentient, then he goes back to acting like a machine. As for the robots seeming afraid, maybe they were just programmed for self-preservation. After all, if you have something that probably cost a year's salary, you wouldn't want it just standing there while some punk decides to use it for target practice.
AndyC
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2002, 08:21:02 PM »

Since we're on the subject of AI, I'd also have to say that the police chopper escape did not seem well thought out. The thing was sophisticated enough to take voice commands and fly itself, but it had very little in the way of security measures, and no way for the police to take control of it remotely. They were just able to track it after it was stolen.
Pokethulhu
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2002, 03:49:44 AM »

I wouldn't say Joe acts like a machine all the time.

Self Preservation is an idea I had, too.
But then, why did Joe tear out his ID?
Is he programmed "IF wrongfully accused of murder, THEN evade the police?

Self Preservation is an explanation for the other mechas' behavior. Still, they all know, even the really old ones, that they had been trashed.
Why would anyone program a mecha for self preservation after he is thrown away? You'd just get lots of mecha struggling with the disposal people. And this isn't a desing flaw, it runs from the really old one to the new ones.

And of course, this still doesn't change it, that the whole Flesh Fair scene was just there to milk emotionality for the mechas.
AndyC
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2002, 09:33:00 AM »

And how to you frame a robot for murder when his memory is pretty much an accurate recording of events, including evidence against you?
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most Disappointing Ending « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.