Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:22:16 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Eminem’s “8 Mile” Success Is Bologny « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Eminem’s “8 Mile” Success Is Bologny  (Read 8592 times)
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2002, 07:38:08 PM »

to get back on topic, i would credit the movie's sucess with a lot of people turning out simply to see if Mathers can act.  when it comes to the 3 dollar movie theater, that's while i'll go see it, though I'm pretty sure he can't.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
raj
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2002, 07:49:22 PM »

From what little I've heard in the reviews, he can at least play himself, unlike Mariah Carey.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2002, 08:23:22 PM »

Well, it had a big enough opening weekend, but now that the curious have checked out the notorious homophobic thug rapper, the second weekend (which is new viewers plus repeat business) will show if the thing has any legs.

I'm giving it a pass, I find the bloke offensive.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2002, 10:28:55 PM »

If you don't belive me, watch VH-1 for a week.
*****  Whoa!!  Okay, okay, let's not get nasty.  I believe you, I believe you!
: )

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2002, 10:51:47 PM »

It's not so bad now, but there used to huge racial segregation in music. Ironically, to bridge that required whuite musicians playing balck music for white audiences
*****  It's not so bad now...  exactly my point.  I just don't see black rappers starving and having their music stolen by white rappers for a white audience.  The Beastie Boyz were a hit because they took the rap style and used it to address issues that were important to suburban middle class kids, like fighting for your right to party.  Will Smith took a page out of their book and found broad white acceptance (leading to a successful film career) by rapping about how parents just don't understand.  It's rap for the non-urban audience.

Then that stuff was usurped by gangsta rappers rapping about being dangerous and living risky lives - something that fascinated suburban kids who's biggest real-life brush with danger may have come during a crossing guard strike.   M&M is just getting in on that action.

Dano
Evan3
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2002, 11:02:47 PM »

when Benny Goodmen stepped on stage with a black vibraphone player and pianist
Benny Goodman was Jewish too, sounds like the minorities sticks together.

Anyways, to the question at hand. In Eminem's first two CDs, he mostly just made fun lyrics with few points, and if anything, he is not self glorifying, but rather he is very self depricating. However, his third CD is the reason he has reached such heights. His race is not so much a feature as his lyrics are. Look at the number two best selling rap album, by the artist Nelly. Nelly on the other hand, embodies the selfish, conceited and basically emotionless with his hit songs being "Hot in Here" and "I am Number One"

On the other hand, Eminem pushes the edge of what has been said. He adresses things such as social change, race, and wehy rappers grow up to be what they are and how rap can inspire a child to succeed. He says that if anything, he had to struggle harder than anyone to get where he is, and points out this is not a new phenomenon, Elvis sang black music, Brian Setzer sings black music, and even boy bands like N'Sync really are singing originally black music, yet nobody makes it such an issue.

So, Eminem is so famous, first because he tells things how it is and also, because he has more lyrical talent than anybody else.

Also, look at minorities who have succeeded to superstardom. Santanna is one very notable example. You have the emerging feamale singer Nelly Furtado. Youhave Dr. Dre, who proved that blacks can be a huge business force in music. You also have bands like Linkin Park that have white, Hispanic and Asian members. It is not race that can determine your fame, but your talent, which Eminem has in abundance over any other rapper. If Eminem were doing that stupid Steven Segal movie, instead of DMX, do you think the box office would be as big??? Also, look who are the biggest three musician/actors ever, Prince, Jennifer Lopez, and now Eminem. Two minorities and one white. If Madonna's continual movie flops cant convince you these industries are color blind, than what will
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2002, 11:10:43 PM »

Elvis sang black music
*****  Ray Charles himself came out and said that rock and roll was neither black nor white, but both.  It was basically the Celtic-based music of southern whites with the added synchopated rhythm of African music.  Like most of the rest of our culture, Rock&Roll is a hybrid of various cultures and something that you never saw in either Europe or Africa until it came from here.

Dano
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2002, 11:30:55 PM »

Evan3 wrote:
>
> On the other hand, Eminem pushes the edge of what has been
> said. He adresses things such as social change, race, and
> wehy rappers grow up to be what they are and how rap can
> inspire a child to succeed.

true, true.  also, lets not forget all those times he raps about killing his wife and getting his kid to help push her body in the water.....simply outstanding in every way.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2002, 11:32:17 PM »

: )

Sorry, I've had a rough day.....I wouldn't wish VH-1 on anyone under normal circumstances........

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2002, 11:33:46 PM »

Freep, key words being "used to be."

Only closet (or open) racists would not listen to a band because its members aren't white, black, or whatever race the listener happens to be.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Evan3
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2002, 11:34:08 PM »

wheresthecarrot wrote:
>
> true, true.  also, lets not forget all those times he raps
> about killing his wife and getting his kid to help push her
> body in the water.....simply outstanding in every way.

I never said he wasnt in need of mental help.

But lets not forget that he has only done that once and despite his image, is a good father and rapped with the flagrantly gay Elton John.

And is it ok that black rappers often rap about killing police and raping hos (neither of witch Eminem has done)
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2002, 11:39:35 PM »

Yeah, because heaven forbid a lyricist write a song about hating his wife while still loving his daughter...**rolls eyes**

Some people need to look DEEPER into lyrics, methinks...

As for minorities that have gained success, I'd also like to add possibly THE most well-known thrash metal band of all-time, and among the top 5 greatest metal bands ever, SLAYER. Who's a minority? Tom Araya. Got that? Araya. He's Hispanic. Hence why I find it hilarious to see a whole bunch of white supremacists that wear swastikas also wearing Slayer shirts, with Slayer tattoos, and Slayer posters on their walls.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2002, 11:47:26 PM »

Sure, you can hate your wife, and you can sing about it, but publishing a song in which you are screaming at your kid's mother while she's screaming hysterically may have some deeper meaning, however I still don't think it's a very responsible thing to do as a father.  My parents hate each other, but they love me.  If one of them had decided to publish a song about killing the other, and also included me in that song, I would have a really hard time with that.

On a side note:  Slayer rules!  And yes, I laugh at the swastika people as well.  It makes you wonder if:

A) They've never bothered to read an interview with any of the band members, therefore larning about the message behind the lyrics or

B)  They are in severe denial.

Another brand much like this is Hatebreed, who draw a decent crowd of Swastika people, but really, don't want to purify the human race much

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Offthewall
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2002, 11:57:56 PM »

for the record, I am a white rapper. I don't like Eminem very much but I will say he has talent and Rap is a talent, it's not easy at all. You making that comment was a tad rude. I hate most rap music but I find rap something that I'm good at. For u to say that Rap has no talent then I'd say u have no musical background.

For the record, only good thing about Eminem was he killed the theory that all White Rappers = Vanilla Ice
Chris K.
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2002, 12:15:38 AM »

Just wondering if anybody has an opinion on Eminem in general. I haven't seen 8 MILE yet and I am interested, however due to the hype I am sort of conflicted to see it. Usually, hype always ruins it for me.

I personally don't know what to think about Eminem. When looking at him he does come across as an arrogent jerk and quite pushy. However his music is "an aquired taste" for those who are curious. Eminem might not be for everybody, but some people seem to like him and his music.

But then, hearing about Eminem's success is better than hearing about big-ass J Lo and Ben Affleck getting married. I'll bet that marrage will last for about 3 years. Either way, what's the point?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Eminem’s “8 Mile” Success Is Bologny « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.