Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:56:25 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Think before you speak... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Think before you speak...  (Read 10928 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 14, 2002, 09:01:39 PM »

While watching a portion of The Alien Legacy on AMC, I saw Sigourney Weaver, evidently a gun control advocate, hemming and hawing about the weapons in Aliens.  "I think there are better ways to handle a situation."

Against the Aliens?  Uh, what...a vigorous leaflet campaign?  Chanting?  Pickets?

I know that she didn't mean it that way, but in the context that the comment was presented...sheesh.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 09:07:13 PM »

I know...she could dash off a heartfelt letter to the editor...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 09:10:28 PM »

Maybe that's why there were no guns in #3.  She was doing some kind of lame MacGuyver thing.  Of course she did carry a gun in Resurrection, and threw a tantrum with it in the genetics lab.  I guess her principles have a price.  Kind of like gun-control advocate Rosie O'Donnell who shilled for K-Mart, the biggest seller of guns in the country.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 09:11:03 PM »

Think before you speak...

She's an *actress*, someone else gets *paid* to tell them one to say,  they just have to emote...and they get to *practice* a lot, first

:)

=======================
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 09:13:08 PM »

Maybe that's why there were no guns in #3

The survival rate wasn't much better..wonder if that says anything...either way?

=======================
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 09:16:53 PM »

The survival rate wasn't much better..wonder if that says anything...either way?
*****  There was only ONE alien in #3.  If they'd had Vasquez there the movie would have been 15 minutes long!

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 10:29:57 PM »

I think it's safe to say most movie stars are not on the bright side. Also, Hollywood is about as far left as you can get, so put both of those together and you have some truly insipid statements. "Guns are really bad, and should be illegal, except the ones my bodyguards carry."

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Creepozoid
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 01:13:39 AM »

Honestly, who the hell listens to a political statement made by a movie/tv star? Most of these people never graduated from high school, get busted for bar fights (and many other things), and burn throgh marriages like a hot rod through regular unleaded.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 02:00:36 AM »

<>

In our celebrity-obsessed culture the numbers might be frightening.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Squishy
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2002, 04:39:09 AM »

Yeah, Hollywood celebrities bite. Look at that old actor popping up at NRA rallies, waving his rifle and grunting about his cold dead hands, every time there's a memorial service for school-shooting victims...what a jerk, huh?

Ah, the Good Ole Days. Remember when G. Gordon Liddy publicly advocated shooting American law enforcement personnel in the head? What a superpatriot!

Note: Two keys words in Chadzilla's original post--"evidently" and "context"--relate to the subject line in the most ironic manner.

"Too bad that all the people who know how to run this country are all busy driving taxis and cutting hair."
--George Burns
Squishy
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2002, 09:36:55 AM »

Afterthought: I watched a portion of that same AMC program today--the "Alien 3" segment--and Sigourney Weaver (co-pro on "Alien 3") pointed out that, unlike the first movie, everyone in "3" was trapped in an enclosed area with this monster BUT WITH NO CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS of any kind. She did not present nor otherwise describe this as an advantage or position of moral superiority.

Uh.

"Most of these people never graduated from high school, get busted for bar fights (and many other things), and burn throgh marriages like a hot rod through regular unleaded."

Reality check!! Quick show of hands: how many people here are in Mensa? Sh'yeah, right...and what with her eighteen arrests for public intoxication, five divorces, seven kids born out of wedlock, webbed toes, and single-digit IQ, Sigourney Weaver has NO business whatever expressing an opinion in public... :)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2002, 11:17:36 AM »

Sigourney Weaver has as much right as anyone else to state her opinions as anyone else.

Her celebrity status gives her the opportunity to have those opinions aired publically more than most people.

That opportunity does not mean her opinions should be taken any more (or less) seriously than anyone else simply for that opportunity afforded her.  

She has an opinion, she can voice it.  *shrug* Take it on it's merits, based on the stregth of the arguments, not on her position as a celebrity.

========================

I'm somewhat amused that the movie industry is one of the few industries where almost all female employees are pretty much required to take of their clothes in front of their bosses* in order to further their career.  Such required behavior would not be tolerated in any other profession.  I'm sorta suprised there's not more protest about this from the more socially active in Hollywood**  Given what actually goes on in the movie industry in regards to human social issues, it's very hard to take seriously what any of them say about social issues

*and complete strangers, and be filmed doing it, for public distribution.

** To say nothing of the racial and ethnic stereotyping of blacks, hispanics, and asians.

=======================
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2002, 12:58:09 PM »

That be me! :-)

Squishy wrote:
>
>  
> Note: Two keys words in Chadzilla's original
> post--"evidently" and "context"--relate to the subject line
> in the most ironic manner.
>

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2002, 01:17:19 PM »

Squishy wrote:
>
> Afterthought: I watched a portion of that same AMC program
> today--the "Alien 3" segment--and Sigourney Weaver (co-pro on
> "Alien 3") pointed out that, unlike the first movie, everyone
> in "3" was trapped in an enclosed area with this monster BUT
> WITH NO CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS of any kind. She did not present
> nor otherwise describe this as an advantage or position of
> moral superiority.
>

It was a direction I had no problem with, it handled the situation differently than the first two movies, so I was all for it.

> Reality check!! Quick show of hands: how many people here are
> in Mensa?

Not me, that's for sure.  I'll honestly admit for all to read...I never passed my college Entry Level Mathematics Exam, had to have it waived (I was an English major).  Hell, I even failed Algebra in High School.

> ..and what with her eighteen
> arrests for public intoxication, five divorces, seven kids
> born out of wedlock, webbed toes, and single-digit IQ,
> Sigourney Weaver has NO business whatever expressing an
> opinion in public... :)

Ms. Weaver has every right to express her opinion in public, in private, wherever.  Freedom of Speech, I'm all for it.  I just found the placement of her comment within the context of the documentary humorous as that her statement was presented in such a way (not intended, granted) that made it seem as if she were addressing the situation in the movie.  The production clip where Weaver goes from being in character to herself is priceless (she's standing there, pulse rifle and flamethrower in hand, looking ready to kick ass and take names when the director yells CUT, she then quickly lifts her hands and flaps them in a 'Yuck, take it away." and crew members remove the weapon from her shoulders.

Maybe it should be "think when you edit"

As much as I love rootin' tootin' fantasy shoot 'em ups ("Do you feel lucky?") I admit that I am also a gun control advocate (although I do support the right to privately own hunting rifles and/or target pistols).  So I fully agree with Ms. Weaver's statement in real life situations.  More than one person has made comments about how unrealistic it was that Mel Gibson's family in Signs had no weapons (shotgun, rifle, pistol, SOMETHING), but I never gave it a second thought, being a person with no weapons (well, an aluminium baseball bat) in his house (they scare my wife to death).

My dad had a gun when I was kid (.38 I believe) although he believed he had everything well hidden, my brother and I knew exactly where he kept it (nightstand) and were they kept the bullets (Mom's jewelry box).  One day I played with it, he got rid of it and never regretted it.

Evidently?  Well, she IS I guess, I just used evidently incorrectly because I had either forgotten she was or had never knew and could not think of a better way to phrase it.

I await sarcastic responses, insults, and flame posts.  :-)

Chadzilla
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2002, 01:40:08 PM »

Evidently? Well, she IS I guess, I just used evidently incorrectly because I had either forgotten she was or had never knew.

"Evidently" is correct because that just means that there is evidence of something.   Whether the evidence os flimsy or strong, you can still use the term

=======================
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Think before you speak... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.