Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:22:31 AM
714514 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Return Of The Living Dead Dvd + Birthday! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Return Of The Living Dead Dvd + Birthday!  (Read 884 times)
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 24, 2002, 09:44:50 PM »

Hey

t'was my birthday today and my brother got me 2 dvds!

I got The Abominable Dr. Phibes DVD and Return Of the Living Dead DVD.

I've watched half of The Abominable Dr. Phibes, and i'm enjoying it alot so far, love the dialogue.

Question about the TROTLD dvd though. In the scene with the TarMan zombie in the basement, when he says "Brains!" and "More Brains!" his voice seems like its been changed for the DVD, as opposed to the higher pitched, more comical sounding one (which is seen on the mpg clip andrew has up on the site). Any reason why they changed it? I really liked the way it sounded before.

I still thought the dvd was pretty awesome, has some good extras.

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 10:47:27 PM »

When THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD was released back in 1985, the producers of Hemdale/Cinema 84'-Greenberg Brothers Partnership didn't give director O'Bannon any time to perfect the film in editing (i.e. he wanted to do some color corrections and additional improvements of the sound).

In the scene where Tarman says "Brains", O'Bannon wanted to make the sound low pitch. Unfortunately, time was not on O'Bannon's side and the film was released with Tarman's voice in the UNINTENDED voice of high pitch. In this DVD edition, O'Bannon took time to imrove Tarman's voice. Also, the scene of the punk teens nailing the door that has Tarman on the other side has the punk rock music removed from this DVD edition. Again, the scene was intended to not have the lyrics playing in the background. But, the producers added it in at the last minute. Because of the limited time, the music played over the dialouge and YOU COULDN'T HEAR WHAT THE PEOPLE WERE SAYING. In this DVD release, O'Bannon removed that music of lyrics so we can finally hear what the characters are saying. So while this is not O'Bannon's "Director's Cut", it sure is the way O'Bannon at least wanted it to be seen.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 03:27:07 AM »

Happy belated birthday, crash. There were also several changes to the music due to copyright issues, and some songs were altered or excised completely. For an old school punk buff like myself, that's a shame.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 05:54:59 AM »

Fan1: Ever seen Return of The Living Dead?

Fan2: Which version? The theatrical version? The video version? The TV version? The DVD version?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Return Of The Living Dead Dvd + Birthday! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.