Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:34:49 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  an open letter to Rob Schnieder « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: an open letter to Rob Schnieder  (Read 11990 times)
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 09:17:58 PM »

Did anyone else get major "Volunteers" vibes at the end of "Saving Private Ryan" when Hanks was staggering toward the plunger to blow the bridge?

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Scottie
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2002, 10:18:42 PM »

The only problem with your argument is that Hanks was young when he made those movies. He was barely a name in the phone book. What is Schneider now, almost 40? There's a difference in talent when you compare the two, even when you look at their worst films. Hanks was an up-and-comer. Schneider is a going-and-goner.

-Scottie*
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2002, 10:26:45 PM »

Well to be honest Scottie, my argument was made largely in jest... although Hanks didn't make Philadelphia until he was close to or over 40.  Remember Bosom Buddies (ugh) was a mid-1970s show and he had to be in his mid-20s at the time.
I also don't think Schneider is quite that old.  Nevertheless, I basically agree that Hanks has more inherent talent than Schneider and you can see that even in some of his worst films.  I also do not really ever expect to see Rob Schneider playing a concentration camp inmate or a Vietnam War colonel or anything else beyond a loser who gets thrown into a wacky situation with ostensibly hilarious results.

I think the key to your argument is that Schneider's movies all follow that one premise while Hanks' worst movies at least varied in what they were about.  Still, I think Hanks was a hair's breadth from Steve Gutenberg country at one point in his career.  The Money Pit would have sunk a slightly lesser actor... for good.

Dano
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2002, 11:13:32 PM »

Incidentally, did anyone see the Tom Hanks marathon on....i dont remember what channel the other day?  They showed bachelor party, volunteers, and the money pit...there may have been more.....i thought all of them were way funnier than a schneider flick...with the exeption of deuce...which was good.  he should have taken some time to develop something as good, but instead, quickly churned out the animal...and now this new piece of crap....i dunno why it took him so long, doesnt look like a very "deep" film.  But I think that schneider and hanks are two different leagues....schnieder is more like john lovitz, who is great as a character actor, but i cant imagine him with a part any bigger than his in rat race....has he starred in anything that im overlooking?

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Scottie
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2002, 11:27:36 PM »

I know and praise John Lovitz for the role I see the most of him as: Jay Sherman, as TV's The Critic. Lovitz embraces the character of a snobby, lower class film critic so fully, it almost becomes him. I love the show for it's writing, mainly the constant attacks on Hollywood and mock films it creates little clips of that are so satirical of everything in films. The show even went so far as to joke at The Godfather, but not in a mean or insipid manner, only enough to prove that there are no friends in Hollywood. John Lovitz became one of my role models after I discovered and understood The Critic.

-Scottie*

p.s.
You all can call me Scott. I only use 'Scottie' because another 'Scott' is already using the handle 'Scott' in his posts.
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2002, 07:05:30 PM »

In response, I'd like to say "The Animal" was at least tolerable, and I really enjoyed the American version of the sitcom "Men Behaving Badly", though I never saw the original British version.  You want an actor to pick on, go after Chris Kattan.  The one funny thing in his entire career - Mr. Peepers.  "Night at the Roxbury" made me sterile.

Brother Ragnarok

The only important things in life are monsters and hot chicks.
     - Rob Zombie
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2002, 07:32:42 PM »

I thought Kattan did a decent job in the House on Haunted Hill, and I really enjoyed Corky Romano. Can't really comment on his other work.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2002, 08:13:52 PM »

In response, I'd like to say "The Animal" was at least tolerable, and I really enjoyed the American version of the sitcom "Men Behaving Badly", though I never saw the original British version. You want an actor to pick on, go after Chris Kattan. The one funny thing in his entire career - Mr. Peepers. "Night at the Roxbury" made me sterile.
*****  Maybe it's just me, but Mango cracks me the hell up...  especially the one with Gwynneth Paltrow.  I also laughed through Corky Romano in spite of myself.  When he tried to infiltrate the hardcore skinheads wearing a Brittney Spears "Oops I Did It Again" t-shirt, I could not stop laughing.

The worst ever SNL alum to try his hand at movie making: Jim Brewer.  "Whoa, man, I'm so stoned."  How long did that bit last?  One movie?

Dano
frannie
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2002, 08:23:37 PM »

Scottie wrote:
>
>I love the show for it's writing, mainly
> the constant attacks on Hollywood and mock films it creates
> little clips of that are so satirical of everything in films.

my favorite would probably be "D.T. : The Drunken Terestrial".  ET and elliot sitting there with ET giving an "I love you man" speech.  Then he coughs up a cat.
frannie
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2002, 08:24:11 PM »

high school high
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2002, 09:07:42 PM »

>Bosom Buddies (ugh) was a mid-1970s show

1980 actually.

>did anyone see the Tom Hanks marathon on....i dont remember what channel
>the other day? They showed bachelor party,

I watched most of Bachelor Party and it was butchered. Not just the usual stuff you'd expect to be missing, but whole scenes missing for no apparent reason. For example, unless I dozed off at some point, they omitted the entire scene with the jerk coming up to the hotel room (Anyone order an a***ole from room service?) to offer his car to Hanks if he'll call off the wedding.
Offthewall
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2002, 12:20:27 AM »

I'm part of my school TV Studio (I'm pretty sure I said that before) but anyway, we make intros before our Announcements Live show. 3 days ago,  I did the Best of Franklin Sherman, GREAT GREAT STUFF! it was 3 minutes long
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2002, 12:56:14 AM »

I have to say that I really like Jim Breuer (Brewer? Broo-er?).  I wasn't a huge fan of half baked, but i absolutle love his stand-up.  His Comedy Central special was hillarious.

Tho, "From what I've heard....." (wink), he's more understandible to stoners.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2002, 06:30:06 PM »

I watched most of Bachelor Party and it was butchered. Not just the usual stuff you'd expect to be missing, but whole scenes missing for no apparent reason. For example, unless I dozed off at some point, they omitted the entire scene with the jerk coming up to the hotel room (Anyone order an a***ole from room service?) to offer his car to Hanks if he'll call off the wedding.
*****  Bachelor Party on TV?  That movie without nudity and profanity is kind of like non-alchoholic beer.  What's the point?

Dano
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2002, 08:08:13 PM »

True, I did forget to mention House on Haunted Hill.  All around a good movie, and Kattan did a good job in that, although it was definitely a more "straight" role than his other stuff.

Brother R
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  an open letter to Rob Schnieder « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.