Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:07:29 AM
714517 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies you had spoiled for you. (Spoilers) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies you had spoiled for you. (Spoilers)  (Read 2921 times)
Perk
« on: December 02, 2002, 12:34:53 PM »

I was reading through the thread about movies where the bad guy wins and upon seeing Arlington Road on the list it reminded me of the fact that I didn't go watch it in theatres because my one friend told me that the bad guys win by getting the building blown up anyway.  So I was thinking what movies have you had the ending to ruined by a friend or just some guy off the street.

Scooby Doo was ruined by my roommate.  He said "MAn I can't believe that Scrappy was the bad guy."  as soon as he saw the movie.  

I also had The Sixth Sense ruined by a couple of kids that were standing outside the theatre door saying "Bruce Willis is dead the whole time!".  They got ejected for disturbing the customers but it still ruined the whole movie because all I could thiink about was "Bruce Willis is dead?".  Took me another viewing to actually enjoy the movie.
Cool Tester
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 12:44:23 PM »

I had Citizen Kane ruined by Charles M. Schultz.  Yes, that's right, the creator of Peanuts.  One of his cartoons showed Linus watching Citizen Kane on TV, and out of the blue Lucy says "Rosebud was his sled."  This, of course, resulted in a cry of frustration from Linus ... and from me.  I hadn't seen the movie yet.  Still, I enjoyed the film.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 12:44:46 PM »

Scooby Doo was ruined by the script.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 02:56:55 PM »

I had Sixth Sense ruined for me a long before I saw it, and I'll never know why that was the reason I found it boring and didnt really care about the twist.

And I just had Citizen Kane ruined for me about two minutes ago by reading this thread. Dagnabbit, that was high on my 'to see' list.

I ruined Scream for a couple of people cos they p**sed me off. But I lied to one of them and they sat there through the whole film trying to explain how obvious it is that Courtney Cox's character is the killer.

Pete
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 05:15:00 PM »

THE OTHERS was ruined for me by Maxim magazine.  Although, to be fair, it was in a sidebar artice entitled "We Ruin the Endings of Movies for You".  Too bad, because the whole point of THE OTHERS is that the family is dead.  (Unlike THE SIXTH SENSE, where the fact that Bruce Willis is dead is just a bonus to the plot.)  All of the suspense is just a slow reveal of that fact.  Knowing how the movie ends makes the entire exercise sort of pointless.

I wouldn't worry about knowing the identity of Rosebud ruining CITIZEN KANE for you.  The identity of Rosebud is just a Maguffin to move the story along.  The reporter doing the seeking ends the movie with a speech about how a man is more than the sum of his parts.  Showing that Rosebud was the sled Kane played on as a child helps illustrate his personality, but isn't really the point of the movie.

Also, history itself ruined the end of TITANIC for me.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Cool Tester
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 05:29:39 PM »

Doh!  Sorry about that.  Still, even though I knew the big spoiler, I still enjoyed the film.

Guess that's the problem with a thread like this.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 06:25:53 PM »

I guessed the twist of The Others without even seeing it, mainly because of one person too many saying "It was like The Sixth Sense."

I had the twist in Unbreakable ruined for me, still haven't seen it.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 06:47:00 PM »

I did it to my self once.
I read the novelisation of "The Empire strikes back" before i saw the flick. "He's Lukes's what?" D'oh!
Oh, well." Titanic" is an common example of the problim with historical based tales. They only work when the characters are periferal to the historical action, yet effected by it. Same with "How the west was won".
BTW.....Drown,Leo, drown!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 07:25:55 PM »

I read the novelizations of Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing, not to mention Prophecy, because I got tired of waiting for the movie's to come out.  I am far more patient today.

Funny anecdote, when my dad took me and my brother to see Alien, he thought the face hugger was it and that the rest of the movie would be just about the crew dealing with it.  But when he saw me tense up when John Hurt got sick at dinner....he knew something was coming.  So I spoiled it for him.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
jmc
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 07:45:58 PM »

Had EMPIRE ruined when I was a kid...I don't remember when I heard about CITIZEN KANE, but it was years before I actually saw the film.  In that case it didn't really ruin the film--it's a neat ending, but the film doesn't really hang on the identity of Rosebud.

Also had SIXTH SENSE ruined, and E.T.  Not that E.T. really has a twist ending, but a kid at camp told the whole story to everyone.
Scottie
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2002, 08:34:42 PM »

No, I'm not thinking of some Mexican-made Simpsons movie that came out in the 80's, rather in the show after Homer and Marge walk out of a theater after seeing a premier of Return of the Jedi. They walk down the street right next to the line about to watch the movie, and Homer says aloud "Wow. I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke's father," and the whole line groans. It's that kind of witty writing that made the show the best in the land.

-Scottie*
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2002, 09:28:46 PM »

I had The Sixth Sense ruined by a trashy TV Entertainment show. They had "experts" predicting Oscar nominations and one joked, "Bruce Willis for Best Dead Guy". This was the afternoon I was going to see it. DAMMIT!

I also had the ending of Phenomenon ruined by a guy in line in front of me at the grocery store.

And Tho Others was ruined for me by a skit on MadTV. The annoying and pointless Rusty character was working the ticket counter and ruined it for the customer, therefor ruining it for me and everyone in the audience. That's just inconsiderate.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 12:03:59 AM »

The Sixth Sense was ruined for me by my friend Stiffler, who told me "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time, don't even bother watching it." I smacked him a few times for it...we've never spoken the same since...

Speaking of Stiffler...

American Pie 2. Yeah, probably a lot of you hate it, but I like these 2 movies. Anyways, I had it ruined for me by a few friends. They told me that Michelle and Jim hooked up, as did Nadia and Sherman. f**kers...

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 04:25:34 PM »

I spoiled a good deal of Attack of the Clones for myself. About a year before it came out, I was searching around for some information on it, and found something claiming to be the script, or at least a detailed outline of the story. I got about as far as the massacre in the Tusken village and thought "what the hell am I doing?" I didn't read the rest. There was a good chance the thing was a complete fabrication, but it was good enough that I didn't want to take any chance of spoiling the movie.

On seeing the movie, I could see the script was the genuine article. It wasn't exactly like the movie that was released, but damn close. Probably an earlier draft.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 07:08:24 PM »

I had The Crying Game ruined by David Letterman (he made the comment after it had been out for a long time, but still).  But the twist is that I totally FORGOT he had said that - or I had forgotten the name of the movie he was referring to when I saw the Crying Game.  Then, in the bedroom scene, right before they hung the big surprise out there, Letterman's crack came rushing back to me and I gasped in shock about two seconds before the rest of the audience did.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies you had spoiled for you. (Spoilers) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.