Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:59:59 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Shrek sucked « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shrek sucked  (Read 1414 times)
Evan3
« on: December 20, 2002, 03:31:41 AM »

Recently, I saw all three of those comuter animated movies over this break, and the best, by leaps and bounds was Monster's Inc. Oh, I didn't think Shrek sucked, but used it to get your attention

1) Monster's Inc. was superb. The animation on the furry creatures were awesome. The characters were more interesting in this one than the other two. It was the funniest out of the three by far. It also had a wonderful ending, left open to you. It was not only a good cartoon, but a good movie. Honestly, the little girl was cute and was a very fun and charismatic character. Not that I am a pedophile. The creator's of Toy Story (a great movie) were and still are the best as proved by Monster's Inc. Plus, it has monsters, how cool was that.
Rating: 9 (out of 10)

2) Shreck (or is it Shrek>?)- It was o.k. But who couldn't see the princess being an ogre had to be blind. The one funny thing of the movie was Eddie Murphy, but Billy Crystal's charater easily matched Eddie Murphys. It was interesting, but the graphics in the other two were far superior. Also, why does everyone think this is hilarious. I was expecting to be rolling on the floor, ceiling, walls, fireplace, etc. But it WASNT that funny? Maybe that helped give me a worse attitude. The Robin Hood thing was good until they mixed it with the Matrix. They seemed to always ruin their own jokes. But, since it was pioneering, a nd it was much better than Atlantis or Final Fantasy I respect it.
Rating: 6

3) Ice Age- This had one thing going for it, the animation. This was the best animated out of all of the others. It makesme wonder what the future will look like. Besides its visuals, it wasnt as good. There were some funny moments (like all the frozen animals, as they walk through the cave) but, they were few and far between. John Leguizamo's sloth did not really strike me as funny like the donkey, or Mike. He wasnt up to par and I agreed when the character's told him to shut up. The dodo's were annoying. The plot though, was the weak point, verrrrrrrrrry predictable, everything was. I couldn't help liking the Sabertooth though. It was decent, but the weakest out of the three. But because of the stunning visuals and the sabertooth, it passes (failing grade is 5).
rating 6
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 03:41:12 AM »

<>
Not surprising, nothing John Leguizamo has ever done has been funny.

Shrek was okay, but not the uproarious, astonishingly funny thing it's made out to be. Monsters, Inc. was pretty good, but not as good as Toy Story 1 & 2 and A Bug's Life.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Trollificus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 05:50:29 AM »

>
> Recently, I saw all three of those comuter animated movies

Hey, cut them some slack, commuter movies ARE made in people's cars, pretty challenging, I say.

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"
-Charles Darwin
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 06:42:25 AM »

I agree on your views on "Shrek", it was quite predictable and not that funny. I went to see it with a friend and she was constantly looking at me and saying "Why aren't you laughing?". It was a n OK film, but just that. I guess I expected something more adult.

About "Ice age", it is quite good, but I agree in that the plot is too thin. I enjoyed the dodo's sequence, though. Hilarious.

I think I'll try to avoid these computer generated flicks in the near future. I don't have anything against computer animation, but these people are clearly more interested in the visuals than in the script, and it shows. Besides, I saw very recently  "Spirited away", easily the best film this year, and watching more animation right now would ruin me the mood.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
John Morgan
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 11:22:10 AM »

I agree, most computer animated films tend to concentrat on visuals over story.  Final Fantasy:TSW was probably the worst at this.  The story was VERY shallow and obvious.  It seems the animators like to see what they can "get away with" and if it tells a story, that's ok too.  

For example: In Final Fantasy, when the dropship is comming in for a landing, we are treated to a side view of the ship as it approaches.  WE ARE THEN TREATED TO SEEING THE CONTROL SURFACES MOVE.  Why?  The movement of those surfaces did not add to the story at all, they were just put in so the animators could pat themselves on the back.

Shek was OK but not as good as it was made out to be.  Eddie Murphy acted the same as he did in just about every other movie he has ever been in.  (For the sake of animation, watch Mulan and then watch Shrek.  If you don't get tired of hearing wisecrack remarks you must have died while viewing.  )

Computer animation used to be the main attraction.  Now since it is so common, the story will need to be better in order to carry it into the future.  If no one goes to see a CG movie because it's just bad, future CG movies may not be made.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 06:10:34 PM »

Not surprising, nothing John Leguizamo has ever done has been funny.
******  Au contraire - He was hilarious as Benny Blades in "Carlito's Way."

Amen on Shrek.  I thought it was lame.  I think you can actually SEE Mike Myers get less funny as you look at him.  By 2006 he should be about as funny as Dick Cheney with a migrane.  

Interestingly, I took an informal poll of my two nieces and about six of their friends one day (ages 7-10) and they universally panned Shrek and sung the praises of Monsters Inc.  I really should get around to seeing the latter.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 02:40:43 AM »

I liked "Shrek."  In fact, I liked it a great deal more than "Monsters Inc."  Some of the jokes were really high in satire, like Geppetto turning in Pinocchio for the reward and the whole parfait bit had me laughing hard.  I seem to be in the minority here, but it hit all the right angles to work for me.

"Spirited Away" was awesome.  I think that "Princess Mononoke" was a better film, but they are very different.  "Spirited Away" reminds me of "My Neighbor Totoro" or "Kiki's Delivery Service;" it was a whimsical kind of movie, but with serious (very serious) parts.  They did a fantastic job on Chihiro - she is a young girl, all arms and legs, but earnest.  And, just about the time you are starting to feel comfortable, like you have a handle on the movie, it throws a curve ball at you.  Maybe not huge, but Noface's eating binge (especially the way it started) made me go, "Holy cow!"  If you like anime and it is playing in your area - GO SEE IT NOW.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 01:06:59 PM »

I liked Shrek. But, maby i'm not as "Hype responsive" as i used to be. Its a likeable movie. for me. I appreciated the cleverness of the gags, and was happy with that. Must be old age, but i don't find that many comedys as "Gut busting" as i did when younger. Ah,well.
Haven't seen Monsters Inc, yet.
Final Fantasy i did a mini review of for the board. Am i the only one who thought the Evil General in FF reminded them of the villain in "Shrek"? Just not as short?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2002, 02:06:17 PM »

I  really enjoyed "Monsters, Inc", as did my kids.  Enuogh so that I rented it several times.

What I liked about it was that, below the computer animation, the characters were actually interesting and sympathetic.   John Goodman and Billly Crystal did a great job as the two leads.  I thought the story was pretty creative and the animation was pretty good, but it was the characters  that really drew you into the story.

I think Toy Story, Toy Story II, and Monsters, Inc by Pixar for Disney are far more engaging then  anything Disney themselves have done in a long time.  Partially because the stories are creative and intelligent, but mostly because they do an excellent job with crafting interesting characters and casting them well

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Shrek sucked « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.