Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:03:44 AM
714466 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE BOOGEYMAN « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE BOOGEYMAN  (Read 938 times)
BryceDavid
« on: February 02, 2003, 07:28:32 PM »

Anyone else seen this film?

Personally, I like it. Both in a "it's so bad it's good way" and also because there's something undeniably creepy about this small film. I like the score and Suzanna Love is beautiful. But I would understand anyone who didn't like it. The film IS wonky. It's a strange mix of HALLOWEEN, EXORCIST, AMITYVLLE, even CARRIE: the ending looks like the ending in CARRIE but without the shocking surprise. And some of the killings are funny.

As for the sequels, well, they're probably the worst things ever put on film. I only saw Boogeyman 2 and 75% of the film was made of flashbacks with footage from the first film. It's really terrible and ranks up there with DON'T GO IN THE WOODS as the worst film ever. But the first movie is good.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 09:53:51 PM »

I saw it a LONG time ago, and don't really remember much about it other than the splinter of mirror. I don't even remember the scene, just something about a mirror splinter.
BryceDavid
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 11:46:08 PM »

Yes, a mirror is the main object of evil in THE BOOGEYMAN. At one time, the mirror is broken and there are splinters everywhere, causing deaths, and in one some case, possession.
jmc
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 02:22:54 AM »

Well, just one EVIL splinter....the whole movie is about an evil piece of broken glass!  

This is one of my favorites....I used to watch it on cable when I was a kid and now I have the DVD.
Lancer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 03:16:39 PM »

Wow... I havent seen that movie for almost 10 years... I thought that was a good movie, kind of dark (but I think that was the theme back in the early 80's making spookie films that are in the dark)

I also thought Boogeyman 2 was a crap movie with most if it is all flashbacks... Maybe somebody took the money and run... so they had to budget cut the film and make it almost all flasbacks... :D
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 05:48:20 PM »

I vaguely remember seeing this as a small child and it scared the hell out of me...well, what doesn't when you're five?  I think I may have to dig it up and give it another go.

Brother R
yaddo42
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 10:22:17 PM »

The trailer used to terrify the crap out of me as a kid. When the flick turned up on TV years later, I had to agree it was creepy, but it also had an air of seedy voyeurism about it. So I guess I'd consider it an effective film.

Never seen the sequel, heard too much about it being a cut and paste flashback/recycler.

Wasn't  "The Devonsville Terror" made by the same people and also starring Suzanna Love? Is it any good? I only managed to watch about 20 minutes of it whenever it was on, thought it was kind of slow.
BryceDavid
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 11:39:11 PM »

THE BOOGEYMAN and THE DEVONSVILLE TERROR are both availble on a special double feature DVD from Anchor Bay. Both films were directed by Uli Lommel and starred Suzanna Love. I bought the DVD two weeks ago and enjoyed seeing THE BOOGEYMAN again. The DVD has two TV trailers. Not the theatrical trailer which is better. And, yes, the trailers were *very* effective. They freaked me out too.

I watched DT for the first time and it's not really good. It's very repetitive and stilted. I didn't like it much. The idea is good but the execution is very flat. As kooky as it is from time to time, THE BOOGEYMAN is actually effective in its own special kind of way.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE BOOGEYMAN « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.