Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:01:20 AM
714526 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Modest Horror with Big Chills « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Modest Horror with Big Chills  (Read 2252 times)
Susan
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2003, 11:45:59 AM »

>Movies that are able to retain some mystery, hide the exact nature of the >menace, give more modest signs of its presence, and stimulate the imagination, >can raise the hairs on the back of your neck. What are some examples?

Any movie that avoids typical cliche scare tactics. One movie of recent I like to point out is "Stir of Echoes". I wouldn't consider it horror but I really enjoyed it for the fact that it teased you by not doing what you expected. He reaches under the bed looking for a shoe or something..that is THE scene you would expect something to be there or when he stands up something to be behind him. It's like they put these type of scenes in the movie in order to make you realize it wasn't going to be that obvious..so it built up the suspese. That way when he leans back on the couch in that one scene I was completely shocked to see the ghost next to him. I think that "what Lies beneath" also did an effective job in this respect - except with a glaring opposite reaction of creating the obvious scenes and even with the audience expecting it..they still jump. I remember even tho this wasn't a great film overall, in the theater it was alot of fun as after the 4th or 5th jump the audience started laughing and applauding..suprisingly enough, each time it happened.

The movies that also tend to get me are the ones that dont' have a score, or a score that is odd sound effects. Perhaps it makes the film feel more "real" in that it isn't being drowned out by a violin or something. When a telephone ringing makes you jump, that's enough for me. It proves that the movie has done a good job at subtly creating an atmosphere that has left you on the edge of your seat..so there is no need to throw out a bloody corpse to try to get a rise out of you.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Modest Horror with Big Chills « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.