Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:21:10 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  That Chinese guy who appears in nearly action film/tv show during the 80s « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: That Chinese guy who appears in nearly action film/tv show during the 80s  (Read 3752 times)
ad
« on: February 20, 2003, 05:23:55 AM »

I was watching Die Hard the other day. Do you remember the chinese guy with the slightly balding head and goatee type beard? He's the one who swipes some candy in the lobby or something. I don't think he says anything in the film.

I distinctly remember this actor playing very similar characters in various movies and tv films. For example, last night I saw him in The A-Team playing one of James Hongs' henchman.

He can also be seen in an episode of Alias, I think...he's everywhere. Who is he?
ad
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 05:25:14 AM »

Is it Al Leong? (url: http://us.imdb.com/Name?Leong,%20Al )
ad
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 05:32:07 AM »

Sorry about that.
ad
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 07:57:06 AM »

ceding hairline and a droopy Fu Manchu moustache. He’s always carrying an Uzi, and he always gets killed. That guy. Al Leong: the Ultimate Henchman.

Take a look at some of Al’s past roles: "Opium smuggler," "Tong," "Triad hatchetman," "Thug #2," "Gang member," "Gang member with lead pipe," "Gang member with nunchuks," "Chief torturer," and, of course, "Guy with Uzi." Now that’s consistency. The only burp in the formula is his high-profile appearance as Genghis Khan in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

There’s a practical reason for Leong’s typecasting: he’s a talented fight choreographer who finds it easier to just do the scenes himself rather than tell somebody else how to do them.

Audiences familiar with Leong’s antics have given the man potent iconic power: he is The Henchman. All others are but pale shadows of the master.

Al spoofs his well-polished image during the closing credits of Double Dragon: with the bad guys trounced, the beaten and newly unemployed Leong stands by the side of the road with a sign reading: "Will hench for food."

url: http://www.greatwest.ca/ffwd/Issues/1999/0408/vid2.html
Todd R.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 10:02:50 AM »

As I recall, this gentleman was firing a pair of revolvers during the alley fight in BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 01:12:42 PM »

No, it wasn't Al Leong with the guns, that was Gerald Okamura . Who has officially the coolest profile picture on the whole IMDb. Al Leong was the very first Wing Kong you see in the film, long hair and a huge butcher's knife.  He appears quite a lot through the film, kicking huge amounts of arse during the big fight. There a good picture of him at the bottom of this page .

Pete
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 01:17:52 PM »

Gerald Okamura was the one who had two blades stabbed into the tops of his shoulders from behind at the end of "Big Trouble In Little China".

What a crappy way to die!

I forget...Who was it that stabbed him that way in the film??

Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »

He was killed by this Chang Sing .  I don't know the actor's name, they just numbered the main six Chang Sing, and there are no pictures of any of them on the IMDb.  I'm pretty sure he's not James Lew though.

Pete
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 04:13:59 PM »

Oh, yeah, now i know that guy!
"Will hench for food"....sounds like a Nodwick gag.Love it!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Neville

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 10:20:03 AM »

Al Leong is the oriental henchman by definition. I just love when I am watching any silly action movie with my friends and he pops up. "He's that guy!" some of us say, and he uses to have been killed before we finish the sentence. I think I'm gonna try to inmortalise him in some way next time. What about a new one-liner? "You've got less future than Al Leong in a Joel Silver movie!". Sounds OK to me.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 03:15:21 PM »

Well....Bruce Willis pumped him full of lead at the stairwell door on his way to the roof in Die Hard with his 9MM Beretta service revolver and then took his MP5.

In what other ways has this man feigned death before the camera??

Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 06:10:19 PM »

Humm...Not bad, Neville. Good thought. We should invent our in house phrases....helps weed out the posers.
"The way that creep treats her, who does he think he is, Ted V. Mickles?"
"As articulate as Tor Johnson".
"As comprehensable as a ______________ plot."
"All the social grace of Torgo on a bender"
Hummm....could have potential.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Neville

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 06:37:38 AM »

AshTheCat said: In what other ways has this man feigned death before the camera??

Well, that looks like his speciality, here's some of them:

1) Lethal Weapon: Neck broken by Mel Gibson.

2) Death Warrant: Jean Claude Van Damme shoves his head in a washing machine.

3) Black Rain: Takakura Ken shots him with a machine gun, but he manages to enter a car that explodes or crashes seconds later.

4) Rising sun: Ass kicked by Wesley Snipes (can anybody confirm this one?)

And there are many, many more, almost in any movie he appears.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Neville

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 09:58:48 AM »

Last spotted on the TV series "24" (first season). He plays one of the henchmen at the terrorist compound where Kiefer Sutherland's family is kept hostage. He is shot to death by Sutherland when he infiltrates the place.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  That Chinese guy who appears in nearly action film/tv show during the 80s « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.