Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:47:45 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Magic Dog! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Magic Dog!  (Read 1305 times)
Squishy
« on: March 11, 2003, 07:43:14 PM »

Post your favortie "Magic Dog!" moment!

Everyone talks about the Spring-Loaded Cat, but no one ever mentions the Magic Dog! that occurs in so many, many movies. Flangepart mentioned in another thread that Magic Dog! appears in both "Volcano" (I don't remember, but...) and "Dante's Peak" (being left behind, only to reappear miles later, outrunning both a vehicle and an awesome fiery cataclysm), and I realized how often I've seen Magic Dog! in horror and disaster movies.

Runner-Up: "Daylight." This MD! gets left behind in a tunnel section that is flooded almost immediately. A short time later, Magic Dog! appears in another tunnel section ABOVE our cast. He must have found a huge crack to slip through. Or maybe the tunnel's like Swiss cheese. (Are the Swiss backing us? Please, I don't wanna call it "Freedom cheese." Irony: "surplus" is a word of French origin.)

Favorite: "The Boogens." This little poodle-runt-thing is one Magic Dog! who is not only smart enough to survive, he's easily smarter than the rest of the cast. He's been to survival school. He pulls every trick in the Magic Dog! book--onscreen, which is unusual for Magic Dog!--to beat the Boogens. Sadly, he lets his guard down for a brief moment and sticks his head into an air duct, and loses his Magic Dog! status permanently.

Magic Dog!
Goon
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 08:24:45 PM »

Hey! Your right!
I remember the annoying little poodle survived in Tobe Hooper's "Crocodile" even after jumping between the fake jaws.
(Note:  Annoying little owner did NOT survive.)

-----ooo-'U'-ooo------Kilroy was here.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 04:29:07 PM »

Oh,oh..."Independence day!" Comes flying into the shelter juuuuust in time.
BTW. 8 Legged freaks...did anyone else laugh their keester off at the "Cat impression in plaster" scene as much as i did? I'm sorry, but it was funny!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 05:34:45 PM »

* THE BLOB - Steve McQueen and his girlfriend lock themselves in the meat freezer at the supermarket to avoid being eaten by the blob. The girlfriend's dog doesn't make it into the freezer in time. Magically, the dog shows up later, unharmed. (There isn't a dry eye in the theater when the audience finds out that the dog is safe . . . yet no one cared when a bunch of humans got eaten earlier in the movie).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 02:06:31 AM »

Darn, Flange beat me out on "Independence Day!"

The other thing is that film makers love to have the monster or rampaging murderer kill the dog first, then the main characters find the mangled pooch and freak out.  It can be effective when played right, but most of the time the "dead dog bit" is just thrown in there.  "Humanoids from the Deep" is one of the better uses.  The fishermen finding their dogs killed was a worthwhile addition to the movie and it added an ominous tone.

Ran across a neat use of this once with cats too.  I think it was a Fredric Brown short story about a robot mother that made little metal mice to scurry around and collect raw materials.  The "mice" did not like cats and they were equipped with little buzzsaws...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
tuck
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 06:01:47 AM »

yeah a dog dies in one of the 'critters' flicks, dont know which one though, the one easter bunny i think.

talking about dead dogs you cant forget 'the thing'

and true lies when he pulls it's legs apart.poor little fella. (i think)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Magic Dog! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.