Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:17:38 PM
714494 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Texas Chainsaw Massacre « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Texas Chainsaw Massacre  (Read 2773 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 07, 2003, 10:09:41 AM »

I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre about 10 times. I used to own it on VHS, and I recently picked it up on DVD.

On Friday, I popped it into the ole DVD player and sat back to watch it again. (I probably hadn't seen it in about 5 years). I was really surprised at how enjoyable it was. I noticed details that I had never noticed before and really got engrossed in the whole experience.

This movie is definitely one of the "standards" of low-budget movie watching (along with LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, etc., . . . you know the list). Yet, after 5 years or so of not seeing it, it was almost a completely new experience for me.

I think that the 2 things that make this movie so good (and so timeless) are:

1. The cinematography - the camera work is excellent and the lighting is appropriately creepy and moody.

2. The art direction - the sets and props are perfect and add to the realistic feel of the movie.

If you haven't seen this in awhile, dig it out and watch it again. It was a real treat for me.

Post Edited (04-07-03 10:10)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
fireal
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 11:18:02 AM »

It is one of my top movies of all time and, of course, with most of my favourite things in movies Hollywood is about to massacre it in a remake!!!! So instead of the classic shock horror movie with some of the best camera work in a movie we are going to have some stupid blood fest with a bunch of dumbass teenagers one of which will probably be Freddy Prinze Jr!

Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
~ President Merkin Muffley in "Dr. Strangelove"
The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 01:01:56 PM »

I agree. A remake of TCM can only end in disaster.

However, Tobe Hooper ruined his own legend when he made TCM 2. He should have quit while he was ahead.

Interesting note about the TCM dvd. On the commentary track, Hooper says that the original title was HEAD CHEESE and the 2nd title was LEATHERFACE. I'm glad they changed it to TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 01:47:10 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> I agree. A remake of TCM can only end in disaster.

Case in point...TCM: THE NEXT GENERATION with Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger.  Doesn't figure very high on their resumes I imagine.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 02:24:39 PM »

Gerry wrote:

TCM: THE NEXT GENERATION with Matthew
> McConaughey and Renee Zellweger.  Doesn't figure very high on
> their resumes I imagine.

They should be ashamed . . . but not as ashamed as I should be. I own that damned DVD. "Next generation" indeed!

Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 02:31:18 PM »

I supposed I'll be booed for saying, as much as it had nothing to do with TCM lore, I didn't mind TCM:TNG.  PBRmeASAP.  Anyway, TCM 2 was great.  Bill Moseley is the best crazy actor this side of Jeffrey Combs.  TCM 3 was so so.
The pending remake, however....I shudder to think.  What the hell happened to that rumored 25th anniversary part 5?

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 02:41:44 PM »

Brother Ragnarok wrote:

> PBRmeASAP.
>  

And that means WHAT?  :-(

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 03:12:57 PM »

I was using all sorts of acronyms, so I decided to throw some more in for good measure.  It means Pabst Blue Ribbon me As Soon As Possible.  Don't remember those commercials?

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
jmc
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 03:56:29 PM »

I like some of part 2.  I believe it would have been better had the studio let Hooper make the movie he wanted to make.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 04:27:08 PM »

The TCM was a terrible movie the first time around, a waste of my time, I will not be supporting the remake, which can only be worse

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 04:50:50 PM »

jmc wrote:

> I like some of part 2.  I believe it would have been better
> had the studio let Hooper make the movie he wanted to make.

Which was?  I seem to remember that Hooper signed a three-picture deal with Cannon when he had some serious post-Poltergeist hotness.  He also agreed to produce  a sequel to TCM.  When Lifeforce and Invaders from Mars came out (after much studio tampering, something Cannon was known for, I think) Hooper reportedly wanted out of the contract, so he took on the directing reigns of TCM2.  The budget of Lifeforce was 30 or so million, the budget of Invaders from Mars some 14 or so million, the budget of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 was a miniscule 4 and a half million.

Hooper started filming in and around Dallas, Texas (I think - perhaps it was somewhere else) when, due to a contractual release date, shooting production was halved.  The crew lost two weeks of filming, second unit directors having to pick up what Hooper and Company could not film.  Screenwriter L.M. 'Kit' Carson (who reportedly is the scribe that rewrote the O'Bannon/Jakoby screenplay of Invaders from Mars)began rewriting his script to fit the shorter shooting schedule, subplots and exposition dropped left and right.  Serious trouble began when it was discovered that the second unit directors work was unusable (they chose to ignore Hooper's storyboards and the visual style did not match).  Hooper and Carson tried valiantly to fill in the wholes in the time left, and were somewhat successful.  Although Hooper got out of his contract, his Hollywood Hot Days were over, a thing of memory.  Still, I love the sequel almost as much as I love the first movie.

Ah, the life of movie making.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 06:14:51 PM »

I first saw the movie about a year ago; we were doing a school project on Northern and Southern characters in the media, and I chose Leatherface. I agree, it's a real cool little film. Kinda funny, though-- shortly after I saw it, I had to take a trip down to North Carolina right as that whole deal with the bodies discovered at that funeral home. Serious weird vibes...

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »

If the new movie makers do not use John Laraquette as the narrator, that will be their first and last mistake.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2003, 03:45:08 AM »

I was just reading on Fangoria.com that Michael Bay is executive-producing this damned remake, and it's being directed by Marcus Nispel, who has only done commercials and music videos thus far.  Something tells me neither of these jokers knows anything about the stylistic aspects of making a bare-bones drive-in exploitation movie.  Ugh...

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2003, 06:32:04 PM »

From the Burgomaster:  "The art direction - the sets and props are perfect and add to the realstic feel of the movie." Not a film I have seen, but, I have heard the director, Tobe Hooper, talk about the movie, and for the movie, he used a real farm house in Texas as a set. Maybe that is why the movie feels so realistic. Enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Texas Chainsaw Massacre « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.