Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:07:51 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gore!!! What do you think is the 10 most shocking gore scenes in film? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gore!!! What do you think is the 10 most shocking gore scenes in film?  (Read 10442 times)
Damien01
« on: April 16, 2003, 09:33:10 AM »

I was thinking about what are the most shocking gore scenes to date, and have a hard time in comming up with "any current movie" that is very shocking. Sure some of the gore is good... And CG's effects are great... but I cannot see them that shocking... Maybe "Death Becomes Her" could be the best example of CG at work... but I would question as being shocking over impressive... even if I think the most shocking thing that was done by CG was on "The Crow" Lets face it CG has proven that even an actor could be dead and still finish the movie.

Here is what I think is the most shocking gore scenes in film.

1... The ending of Easy Rider (I for one dont like this movie that much... Maybe because I'm not a drug up hyppie. But I think the shotgun to the head caught most of America by suprise.) It proved that gore isnt limited to horror films.

2... The Taxi Driver's shoot-out. (Robert De Niro shoots a man that is trying to stop him from entering the building. What is so impressive this wasnt done by any computer effets.)

3... Michael Myers stabs a guy to the wall (this is why Halloween is recongnized as the start of slashers movies and not Black Christmas... )

4... Indiana Jones watches a guy gets his heart pulled from his chest, and the heart is still beating. (By far not the greatest gore scene... But Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was a PG movie. And because of that scene we now have have PG-13.)

5... The head explodes in Scanners. (When you think of it this isnt that impressive compaired to the shotguns to the head scenes in Easy Rider or Dawn of the Dead... And The Fury also predates Scanners by 4 years with Parapsychologic abilities and bodies exploding. But in Scanners the whole process is given a real and painful looking effect to both the the giver and the taker)

6... Its not easy to become An American Werewolf (Lets face it, before American Werewolf, become a werewolf wasnt that painful. You grow hair, sharp teeth and claws... but after the shocking transformation that was seen in AAWIL, werewolf transformation has become more painful... even in movies like "Fright Night" that dont have werewolfs also followed in AAWIL's footsteps.

7... The Chest opens in the Thing (The special effects started off a new can of worms, that spawn Nightmare of Elm Street, and similar movies. Some of the suprising things about this movie is that the Special effects surpass many GC's Effects and they werent given an award for best special effects... Odd.)

8... Man gives birth to a baby Alien. (SF was taken to another level once it was proven that horror is space could work.)

9... The horses head in the bed in The Godfather. (Killing animals isnt a good thing, but sometimes it better to use a real dead animal for the movie. The Horses head was from a Dog Food Company.)

10... Shower scene in Psycho. (Bloody... sure not by far. Gore I think not... But it gave the illusion of stabbing. Its secret is fast editing, as seen in "Jaws." Because of the illusion of gore filmmakers tried to be more shocking and started to inch up on the sex/gore by getting more grafix and showing more of the body. I think it wasnt until 1968 when rated "R" and "X" ratings came into view. )

Ok these are my opions and I like to see if you guys agree or disagree... :D
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, at the end where boyfriend puts his face back on to kiss girlfriend.
Damien01
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 11:11:35 AM »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Durranged are great "Early Shock Gore movies" but didnt have much of an impact on films until years later. I wish it did. But thats the way how hollywood works.

"Night of the Living Dead" on the otherhand was a great movie, too. (I still think Dawn of the Dead is the best zombie film ever made) but for the most of the 'Undead' rip-offs those movies didnt improved from what Night of the Living Dead has did but down-graded (lack of scripts, flour faced zombies, speed kills, lame gore shots) "Zombie 2, Blind Dead, and Beyond" are the best of Night of the Living Dead rip-offs, sadly that they are the best out of hundreds of zombie films. I wish Day of the Dead had the budget it was supose to be, because I do know the script would of been better, but it seems that Hollywood dont like zombie films.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 11:23:17 AM »

Opening of Saving Private Ryan (radioman shot in face, armless guy finds arm, kid with entrails out)...

Reservoir Dogs ("Stuck in the Middle With You" scene among others)...

My all time favorite bad movie: The Deadly Spawn.  The Deadly Spawn ate one woman's face off, bit off several heads (one of which was regurgitated in front of the victim's son), and chewed on a bunch of other actors who I'd never seen before or since.  The movie is also known as "Return of the Alien's Deadly Spawn," which I believe was a last minute attempt to cash in on "Alien."  Recommended for the cheese and gore factor...  Also one of the greatest and probably most realistic reactions by a character seeing a monster for the first time I've ever seen in a horror flick.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Damien01
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 11:41:10 AM »

"Return of the Alien's Deadly Spawn" I havent seen this move in years, the funny story of this movie is back in 1983, when my dad was supose to take us to see Return of the Jedi, thought that Return of the Alien was that movie... well, being 13, I knew this wasnt Star Wars, but then it was fun to watch a gore film at that age... I think the funnest thing about my dad, is he really thought that movie was Return of the Jedi and told all his friends how bad that movie was...

I guess I need to see that movie again... :D
Perk
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 11:46:54 AM »

in no order in particular

The head crushing scene in Story of Ricky.  Kind of cauight me off guard when I saw it the first time.

The nipple biting scene in Burial Ground.  I was haunted by that scene since I was a little kid.

The sloth victim in Seven.  Although no blood was shown the make up efect was creepy and then when he moved I almost messed myself.  (I was watching it at 5 in the morning befre I had to go to school)

The liquid nitrogen face slam from Jason X.  It was just cool.

The ear scene from Reservoir Dogs

The scene from Stir of Echoes when the girls fingernails break off was a bit of a shock.

The beginning scene of Cube.

The  spoon scene in Murder in the First.  I was afraid of eating anything around people for a while after that.

The skinned dog scene in Needful Things

The cockroach scene in Creepshow

Trashcan Man in The Stand after he had the nuclear warhead.  I've only scene it once and for some reason that part stuck out to me.

Well that was fun...in a f****in' sick, terrible, not at all fun kinda way.
Steve B
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 11:51:00 AM »

The part in Wild Things where Kevin Bacon turned around and you saw all of him...scarred me for months.

The nipple biting scene in Castle Freak.

That's all I can think of for now.  More to come.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 12:17:19 PM »

Let's see - gore moments that shocked me to the core (either with amazement or just making my stomach lurch) in no particular order.

The chest mouth in John Carpenter's The Thing
The splinter through the eye in Lucio Fulci's Zombie
The girl puking her guts out in Lucio Fulci's The Gates of Hell
The guy getting his head tore off while screaming in Day of the Dead
Herbert West using the paper spear to hold up the dead bad guys head in Re-Animator
Crazy Mom licking her new born babe clean in The Brood.

I'll give honorable mention to the chest burster in Alien, but it didn't shock or surprise me.  I had grown impatient waiting for the movie, so I read Alan Dean Foster's novelization and had spoiled it for myself (did the same thing with JC's The Thing)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 01:16:05 PM »

* The "acupuncture needles in the eyelids" scene in AUDITION

* The "sawing off the foot with a piano wire" scene in AUDITION

* The "penis eating" scene in CANNIBAL FEROX (aka MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY)

* The "biting off the fingers" scene in DEADBEAT AT DAWN

* The "drinking brains through a straw" scene in BLOODSUCKING FREAKS

* The "heart on the end of a spear" scene at the end of ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN (aka FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN)

* The massacre at the end of TAXI DRIVER (previously mentioned in this string)

* The "open heart surgery" scene in NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES

* The "intestines coming out of the guy's rectum" scene in THE MEN BEHIND THE SUN

* The "slicing open the body" scene at the end of LAST HOUSE ON DEAD END STREET

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
raj

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 01:24:25 PM »

Oh shoot, forgot about Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS , which has a character

*SPOILER*
without her skin, kill Ilsa
*END SPOILER*

not to mention a bunch of other scenes in that movie and Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheik (misbehaving harem girl has her foot gnawed off by ants)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 01:27:16 PM »

The bathtub castration in I Spit on Your Grave

"I CAN'T STOP THE BLEEDING!"

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 03:17:43 PM »

1.  Zeke gets skinned in Dagon
2.  Girl puking guts in Gates of Hell
3.  Acupuncture from Audition
4.  Foot sawing from Audition
5.  Eye splinter in Zombie
6.  Lawnmower fight in Dead Alive
7.  Evil army dude gets ripped in half in Day of the Dead
8.  Breast hooks in Cannibal Ferox
9.  Exploding head in Scanners
10.  The first death in Texas Chainsaw Massacre - it's so sudden and brutal with the guy twitching on the floor, it's one of the most real death scenes I've seen.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Reed Rothchild
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 05:10:18 PM »

I remember watching Faces of Death almost 20 years ago when I was 15, and an awful lot of that remains in my memory. The monkey brain eating scene and the guts being scooped up by a cop into a plastic bag being two particular horrors I found hard to shake off.

Oh, and the bit in Maniac where he jumps on the car and shotguns that guys head off. In fact, the whole of that movie was pretty damn gory as I recall.
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 06:13:13 PM »

Maniac?? That was a pretty decent movie for what it was worth. In fact, it is one of the very first bad movies I watched when I was just getting started. As for that particular scene, when we watched it in slow motion, the head was replaced with a mellon of sorts as it exploded. That was pretty funny. But as for the movie, it was overall pretty creepy. Stop talking to your mannequins!

Scottie

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 06:34:36 PM »

Scott0 wrote:

> Maniac?? That was a pretty decent movie for what it was worth.
> In fact, it is one of the very first bad movies I watched when
> I was just getting started. As for that particular scene, when
> we watched it in slow motion, the head was replaced with a
> mellon of sorts as it exploded. That was pretty funny. But as
> for the movie, it was overall pretty creepy. Stop talking to
> your mannequins!
>

The head was actually a fake one made by Savini himself and shot by Savini himself with a live shotgun (meaning they didn't use blanks, but an actual round of buckshot - if you look closely you can see his leg shoot out as he was actually blown off the hood of the car by the recoil).  Reportedly the head was stuffed with the remains of the dinner at the set that night.  But it wasn't a melon, believe me.  Check out Savini's book Grande Illusions (or Bizarro!) for look at how the effects were done.

Maniac is one of my all time favorite movies.  Sick and sleazy the way a grindhouse movie should be.  Spinell's excellent performance (like it or not, real serial killers are more like this creep than that suave cannibal poser is), Savini's over the top effects (this movie features some truly disturbing stuff), and a nifty score by Jay Chattaway make the movie worth checking out.

Here's my review

http://www.scifilm.org/reviews/maniac.html

check it out!

Post Edited (04-16-03 18:38)

Chadzilla
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gore!!! What do you think is the 10 most shocking gore scenes in film? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.