Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:36:29 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gamera: Guardian of the U. The new DVD! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gamera: Guardian of the U. The new DVD!  (Read 1122 times)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 22, 2003, 01:27:09 PM »

Ah, bless you, ADV! The new dvd of Gamera, has lots of goodies. Including, the original Japanese soundtrack!  With readable subtitles! Hi-keeba! $14.95 at Best Buy, with a box big enough to hold the dvd's of the other Two flicks when they come out!
Am i a happy Kaiju Otaku or what?
Has the original Japanese Movie and T.V. trailers, too.
Get it,get it, get it!  See, you have a reason to, your under orders!....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 06:10:25 PM »

I'm just happy ADV's finally releasing Gamera 2 with the original soundtrack. The trailers are a very nice bonus, though; there's one for G2 that just knocks my socks off every time. (It's the one with the kanji that zoom right at your face at high speed. It ends with--in Japanese--"This summer: the annihilation of Japan." Woo!)

Now if ADV could/would just get "GMK"...

Monster Zero is spreading the rumor that the next Godzilla movie is a direct sequel to "Godzilla X Mecha-Godzilla" co-starring Mothra. If true, boo. Mecha-Godzilla and Mothra are so overexposed lately it's revolting. Give the others a chance! I repeat my vote for "Godzilla - Gezora - Ganime: Daikaiju Soukougeki 2!" Or at the very least(?) "Godzilla vs Gamera!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 09:31:19 PM »

I will finally have a reason to part with my Japanese LD after getting this.  Had hoped to pick it up the other day, but nobody had any in yet.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 06:44:16 AM »

Well, I finally got "Gamera: GOTU" the other day, and it's a pip.

Bad news first: the title logo, credit sequence, the Japanese "owari" ("the end") kanji, and assorted onscreen "media" (newspaper headlines, etc.) have been "covered" with English versions. Sometimes it looks fine. Sometimes...less than fine. I'm a totally anal-retentive purist, so that bugs the crap out of me.

(Conversely, the US releases of the Godzilla Heisei series, from "vs King Ghidorah" through "Destroyah," used subtitles to avoid ruining the elaborate visuals of the title shots. Too bad they didn't do that with "vs Biollante." Or "Godzilla 2000.")

...and if there's one thing I hate about DVDs, it's the crap at the start you cannot pass. "Gamera" doesn't have a moronic animated menu (like, say, "Reptilian"), but the "ADV Films" logo shot takes approximately seventeen hours to finish spinning and beeping at you. Guys! Stop it! Rhino, for example, finally got the idea, and shortened the FBI warning and their logo shot dramatically.

Now, the good news: fine video reproduction and chock full of extras--interviews, promos, behind-the-scenes, the whole Magilla. A LOT more than I expected, I didn't have time to watch it all! And letterboxed! Yee! Can't wait for "Gamera 2!"

(Bought mine from DeepDiscountDVD.com; best price I could find, but took forever to get here and this version does NOT come with the special box, although that's no biggie for me.)
StatCat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 07:19:49 AM »

I also ordered it from deepdiscountdvd.com but I'm still waiting for it. I ordered it on March 24 and this is really my first problem I've had with them. I received a package maybe 2 and a half weeks later with only one of the 2 dvds I ordered and it said the package included both on the shipping slip. So I had to go call them up and they finally agreed to send me another gamera after I doubt they even sent me one to begin with. How long did it take you to get yours?
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 07:52:47 AM »

It actually just took a day over the described two-week (ten business days) shipping time. It just SEEMED like forever. (Eh, it's free shipping, one gets what one pays for...) It was a three-DVD order and all three came in top condition.

(Side note: one of the other DVDs was the MST3K version of "Beginning of the End." I was a little worried because "BOTE" has been released to DVD on its own and I didn't want to miss another MSTDVD due to a "Amazing Colossal Man"-type copyright-conflict problem. First time I've seen that particular MST3K episode. What a hoot! Weird: Rhino's package says it's a Joel--Joel's even pictured--and it's an early Mike.)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2003, 04:20:16 PM »

Are we talking widescreen versions here?

As for Deep Discount, I buy a lot of stuff from them and it usually arrives in 5 business days or less. In December, I had 2 problems where I never got my orders. They said the DVDs were returned to them as "undeliverable." (I'm not sure why, because I have placed dozens of other orders with them and they all got to me with no problem). Anyway, they promptly refunded the charges to my credit card, so I'm very happy with their service.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 07:53:04 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> Are we talking widescreen versions here?
>

Yes, 16:9 and very clear.  I think that it even looks better than my Japanese LD of the movie.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2003, 12:17:55 PM »

Tis a thing of beauty, indeed. The dvd of Gamera Vs. Legion comes out april 28. Yes! Then, we must wait patiently for G. Vs. Irus.....that'll be tough,pardner!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
trala-log
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 01:50:25 AM »

the gamera mst3000's were the best
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gamera: Guardian of the U. The new DVD! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.