Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:52:21 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wolfen « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wolfen  (Read 2108 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 06, 2003, 10:41:24 PM »

I had a fairly bad reaction whenever I tried to watch this movie before, both times while in my teens.  It moves very slowly and at times seems like a little too much editing was applied.

Watched the DVD the other night and I managed to push through until the end.  Mostly a result of developing more patience with time.  

The movie was not nearly as bad as I remember.  It does still suffer from missing a good set for pacing, along with offering up the various red herrings (which could have been used to flesh out some of the side characters).  Really interested once I made it to the last fifteen minutes or so.  The final idea, what was really happening, was inventive.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 11:17:50 PM »

Aside from the lack of Gregory Hines doing a tapdance number with the wolf spirits, I enjoy this flick.  A little slow at times, as you said, but all in all an interesting idea.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 03:30:20 AM »

Less enjoyably than Whitley Strieber's novel, and weren't the creatures more werewolfesque in the novel, too?  Albert Finney, however, was an excellent choice for the lead--loved him since Tom Jones.  Also a pleasure to see Tom Noonan in a role in which he is not psychotic.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 06:38:53 AM »

onionhead wrote:

> Less enjoyably than Whitley Strieber's novel, and weren't the
> creatures more werewolfesque in the novel, too?  

Yep.  I seem to recall the Wolfen having hands (of course, that could be Barlowe talking and not Strieber)

It's been a while since I've seen the movie or read the book.  Neither really impressed me, but at least they're better than Howling: New Moon Rising and American Werewolf in Paris.

But, then again, what isn't?

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 08:47:41 AM »

In my opinion, the POV shots really ruined this movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 12:23:51 PM »

I didn't see this one until I was an adult and I really enjoyed it.  I can see why this would turn off younger viewers though.  It certainly is very slowly and deliberately paced.  And the Wolfen would be very disappointing to viewers who were expecting something more along the lines of say THE HOWLING or AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, which were both released the same year.
Johnny Blister
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 06:29:23 PM »

The only Wolfen I can think of is Wolfenstein 3D.
MoonShadow
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 04:25:48 PM »

I saw this film when I was around fifteen, and I thought it was pretty good. As noted, it is at times very slow, but is saved by two factors (IMHO):
  *Wicked sense of humour. Although not a black comedy, there are some very witty scenes here, like the scene where the hero (I forget his name) is looking at one of the victims and is warned not to touch her because her head has been nearly severed by the wolfen. When the mourge guys show up to collect the corpse, you hear the (off-screen) sound of the head rolling off, and a barely audiable "s**t".
  *Some suspenseful scenes. I half recall a scene in an abandoned church (?) where nothing actually happens, that was really scary. (Am I thinking of the wrong film here?)
  * Also Tom Noonan is great. He's kind of like Brad Douriff: whatever B-movie he stumbles into, he increases the entertainment value instantly.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 06:56:34 PM »

MoonShadow wrote:

>   *Some suspenseful scenes. I half recall a scene in an
> abandoned church (?) where nothing actually happens, that was
> really scary. (Am I thinking of the wrong film here?)

Nope, that is indeed "Wolfen."  One of the last buildings to be demolished is an old church.  It seemed to be the center of the activity for the wolfen.  I remember the scene you are thinking of, by the way.  There was a great deal of tension, then the two humans wisely run away.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Johnny Blister
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2003, 11:14:52 PM »

Say Andrew,are you gonna review Wolfen on your site?
MoonShadow
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 11:03:22 AM »

Yeah, that WAS this film... Man, that scene screwed with my fragile little mind! :-) Guess I'll have to buy this movie on DVD, it's a relic of my impressionable youth.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wolfen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.