Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:21:25 PM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The truth about "Zardoz" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The truth about "Zardoz"  (Read 1573 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 11, 2003, 12:22:14 PM »

I have to say that Zardoz draws some of the more annoying comments, both on the comments' page and via emails.  Let me share some bits with you:

"These critics are like the "Ugly American" who criticizes anything different in another culture..."

"It is absolutely normal that unevolved basic neanderthal humans dont understand."

"...in my eyes, the impotence to conceive this unique picture which you Americans mostly show testifies a downright historical guilt your depraved mass education and media system has saddled itself with..."

The funny thing about every person who tells me, in effect, that I "did not get" the movie?  They never say themselves.  The snobby people cannot tell me what I am missing in the movie, but it is there because I do not like the movie as they do.

And the awesome kicker is the DVD's commentary track.  Boorman does not seem to get his own film!  I think the most insightful thing he says is reiterating that "Zardoz" comes from "The Wizard of Oz."  He also makes sure to tell the viewer how poor they were budget-wise.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
raj

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 12:32:36 PM »

I like Zardoz partly because there really isn't anything "to get", or more exactly you can get whatever you want out of it.  You can watch it thinking it is about X or Y or the bankruptcy of sterile intellectualism or the horror of immortality or whatever.  It looks different each time.  Sometimes it's fun just to watch it as an unintelligible mess.

It is too pretentious to take seriously.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 03:26:32 PM »

For some reason I lump "Zardoz" into that period of Sci-Fi that took itself very seriously and tried to say something profound or at least insightful, like "Logan's Run", "2001", "The Andromeda Strain", "A Clockwork Orange" and others.

Unfortunately, to say something profound and insightful, you have to have something profound to say. Merely wanting to be important is not enough, you have to be thinking well first in order to express those well thought out ideas.

With Zardoz, I got the impression that the director/writer very much wanted to say something profound, but it was mostly philisophical belly-button gazing and the director was not nearly as clever as he thought he was.

I think there's a bit of 'artisitc inclusionism' that some people want to be part of the in crowd that "get's it", even if there is no 'it' to get.  So they pat themselves on the back for their own smug cleverness and look down at anybody who doesn't 'get it', when in actually they're just fooling themselves trying to feel smart

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 03:39:34 PM »

That was much what I was thinking Freep.  Arguments with the people who "get" the movie usually go like this:

Zardoz booster:  "Too bad that you are such a lout as not to understand this deep and amazing film that was not simply made, but crafted.  Oh well, I guess some people just cannot 'get it.'"

Me:  "The only thing this movie says is that humans were not meant to be immortal.  A couple of sub-reasons for that, but the whole message is simple.  Have you listened to the commentary track on the DVD?"

Booster:  "Yes and the message goes so much deeper.  It really is a pity that commoners cannot see the beauty."

Me:  "Okay, fine.  Why don't you lay it all out?  Tell me what it is that I am not 'getting.'"

Booster:  "Throw not pearls before swine."  (Then they run away quickly.)

The movie is entertaining and full of funky stuff.  But it is a popcorn movie.  There is not a deep message.  There are lots of weird 70's inspired moments and a good deal of imagination.  Not a boring film by any standard.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 07:36:20 PM »

"It is absolutely normal that unevolved basic neanderthal humans dont understand."

Well, I can't argue with that.  Mostly because I don't know what the hell it means.

The best one-line description of Zazdoz I've read was from one of those digest review books.  "It was made by people who thought ideas were something to look at but not touch."  That sums it up pretty well.  

I also got a bunch of similar comments when I reviewed the atrocious Candy.  Well, guess what, I've seen movies that were over my head and was able to figure that much out.  Zardoz just sucks.  (Great B-Fest movie, though.)
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 07:40:50 PM »

Yeah, the track on the DVD is hilarious.  My favorite moment is at the beginning, when we see the giant floating stone head and Boorman helpfully notes, "That's a model."
Nathan Shumate
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 08:53:06 AM »

Oh, that would be a delight to see at B-Fest.  (I can hear the slide whistle now.)
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 11:57:06 AM »

Too true, Andrew(And Ken and Nate).
It reminds me of Tom Wolfe's books "The Painted Word" and "From Bauhause to our house", and the wonderful self satisfaction of the talentless poser, who pretends the drek is droll, and Bullstuff is Beaitific Brilliance....and your just suposed to take their word on it!.
As for me...if i could do it, it ain't art.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The truth about "Zardoz" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.