Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:19:21 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Jurassic Park III « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jurassic Park III  (Read 4379 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 11, 2003, 01:48:44 PM »

With this movie the film series finally becomes a parody of itself.  Never you mind that the second was almost a copy of The Last Dinosaur.

Firstly, the one rifle (said to be 20mm!) is ineffective against the Spinosaurus?  What?  Can someone explain that please?  Elephants were often hunted with rifles of .375 - .468 caliber.  That is a great deal smaller  than a 20mm round.  Also, that rifle looks really lightweight.  My shoulder hurts just thinking about it..

The Spinosaurus being made out  to be a predator that "comes running" to eat Tyrannosaurus Rex also was absurd.  The reality would be like a lion eating a slightly smaller tiger.  The Spinosaurus was bigger (listed as about 14 meters to the T-Rex's 12), but any fight between the two would be savage beyond belief.

How about the kid making his own ghillie suit and being a survival master?  Or the pteradon's swooping close to the helicopters?  Or the adult pteradon leaving a large live meal - an "animal" large enough to hurt a chick, at the nest?

The whole satellite phone idiocy too.  Mein Gott!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 02:38:57 PM »

Yes Yes, Steven Spielburg did well to distance himself as far as possible from this dreck, with Sam Neil in too, what did you expect.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Reed Rothchild
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 04:14:56 PM »

Spielberg didn't distance himself that far - he was an executive producer on it.

There were plenty of dumb bits in this movie, not least when Tea Leoni lands and starts shouting through the megaphone. On an island filled with huge carnivorous beasts. Oh, yeah,they won't hear that.
Reed Rothchild
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 04:17:26 PM »

Oh , and was there an actual dinosaur called Spinosaurus? I felt that they kinda made him up, like they enlarged the velociraptors to 6ft tall, just to make them a scarier beastie.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 04:18:08 PM »

When I saw it in the theater I loved it.

However, after a second viewing I changed my mind.

The entire film I just wanted to stuff a gag in Tea Leoni's mouth!

Damn was she annoying!  (well, her character was)

Post Edited (05-12-03 20:03)
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 06:22:27 PM »

> Oh , and was there an actual dinosaur called Spinosaurus? I
> felt that they kinda made him up, like they enlarged the
> velociraptors to 6ft tall, just to make them a scarier beastie.

Yes, though it appears the only complete skeleton was destroyed during WWII.

http://dinosauricon.com/genera/spinosaurus.html

Also, the two were separated by a few million years.  Why the Spinosaurus would instinctively hate the Tyrannosaurus is beyond me.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 07:53:15 PM »

I would guess the instictive hatred would be bred of territorialism.  Put a lion and a bear in a cage and they'll fight each other too.
Not only were the Spinosaurus and the T-Rex separated by time, they were separated geographically.  T-Rex is from North America, Spinosaurus lived in Egypt.
As for the raptors, it's been debated as to whether they got the idea to make the regular raptors bigger, or if they decided to shrink the Utahraptor down to six feet.  The thing that bugs me the most about it is, if they were going to make them that size, why not just use Deinonychus, which actually was that big in the first place?

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 07:58:04 PM »

I would guess the instictive hatred would be bred of territorialism. Put a lion and a bear in a cage and they'll fight each other too.

Are you sure?  I thought carnivores were territorial mostly within their own species.  Given a sufficient food supply, I would think the two would just ignore each other

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 06:32:38 PM »

True.  But given the limited food supply on an isolated island for two carnivores that big, I can't imagine they'd never have any squabbles over supper.
Wow, are we trying too hard to rationalize this movie or what?

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Johnny Blister
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 06:56:08 PM »

I liked this movie.I think it was great,and an improvement over the first one)and the second one too).
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 07:24:40 PM »

"... if they were going to make them that size, why not just use Deinonychus, which actually was that big in the first place?"

I thought of this too and decided it must have been for ease or pronunciation.  "Raptor" rolls off the tongue for anybody, the "Deinonychus" is a little harder.

The good part about this is that it got me really interested in dinosaurs again, after almost twenty years.  Went looking for books and found "Dinosaurs: The Encyclopedia" by Donald F. Glut.  This book itself is amazing according to the info I found.  Along with lots of fairly up-to-date research (1997) it details every classified species, spending from 1-3 pages on each.  And then there are the two supplements, published in 1999 and 2001 seek to update the original with the latest theories and finds.   I want these pretty badly.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0899509177/badmoviesorg

There it is, if just interested in taking a look.  Warning:  if you buy it via that link, I do get a commission.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 07:31:09 PM »

Well, say what you will, it was a hell of  a lot less dumb than part 2.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 08:00:15 PM »

I think the series has settled into programmer status - the contemporary equal to something like the countless Mummy sequels and House of Movies ground out by Universal in the 40s.  Get the characters on the Island on some pretext, them have the dinosours chase them, catching and eating one or two just to make us try and believe that the stars just might be in danger.

I did like the parasailing tour.  Someone just might be dumb enough to try something like that.

Not surprisingly, the movie was shot without a completed script and the story kept changing.  Co-star Bill Macy did not have fun making the movie.

Post Edited (05-12-03 20:02)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Johnny Blister
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 08:02:12 PM »

Well,I liked it.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 09:25:42 PM »

I thought of this too and decided it must have been for ease or pronunciation. "Raptor" rolls off the tongue for anybody, the "Deinonychus" is a little harder.

Heaven forbid we should have a sports team named "The "Deinonychuses"but then, I live in Albuquerque.  Our new AAA baseball team is "The Isotopes"  ('why' is a question for the reader)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Jurassic Park III « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.