Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:41:44 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What directors would you like to make pay for making bad movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What directors would you like to make pay for making bad movies  (Read 8392 times)
Mr. Phantom
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2003, 03:38:34 PM »

f**k off, you 3rd world faggot.

Anybody who isn't America sucks.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2003, 03:45:02 PM »

Start placing your bets as to how quickly this douche gets his ass booted off the board!  Find another board to flame, and take some grammar lessons before you do!  Ta!

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2003, 03:47:20 PM »

Chris K. wrote:

> Oh I agree Chadzilla, GREAT WHITE was no big threat to JAWS
> whatsoever. It was made in 1980, years after JAWS's release
> back in 1975. But apparently, Speilberg and Universal thought
> it was and sued U.S. distributor Edward Montaro. But their was
> a twist: after the court ruling found Montaro guilty, Montaro
> fled the country with millions after the two week release of
> GREAT WHITE. It is undetermined where Montaro is at now,
> however one distributor who was vactioning in Greece claimed he
> quickly saw Montaro sitting back drinking a small glass of
> Greek alchohol, smiling with delight. And Montaro never paid
> Speilberg or Universal the money owed. To this very day,
> Speilberg and Universal are STILL waiting for Montaro to pay
> up. I got news for these clowns: it aint gona' happen.
>

This is a false, but not uncommon, misunderstanding.  Great White had nothing whatsoever to do with the financial failure of Film Ventures International.  That was caused by the flopperoo of the Bo Hopkins/Wings Hauser starrer Mutant (aka Night Shadows) in 1984, a full four years after the fact.  Montoro didn't loose much with the Great White fiasco.  Universal sued for copyright infringement (saying the movie borrowed far too heavily from both Jaws 1 and 2, which, to be brutally honest, it did - then again, this is an Italian rip-off, so that is expected) and had made a deal with the Italian producers to not have the movie commercially distributed in America.  Montoro lied to the Italians, saying he had cleared up the legal hassles.  Universal sued only to have the unapproved distribution halted.  Which is what happened.  But Great White played in enough venues during its brief run to make a buck.  The Unknown Movies website has an interview with a veteran of Film Ventures where he shares a few details about the studio and its infamous power abuses.

> Hell, GREAT WHITE was more fun and exciting than JAWS

And this is your mind on drugs, any questions?  LOL!

> Maybe we'll see it on DVD some day under
> it's original THE LAST SHARK title.

Is Blue Underground reading this?  HELLO?  And a documentary on the movies legal troubles as well!  I'd also like to see Star Crash out on DVD too, Bill.  You reading this Bill?

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Chris K.
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2003, 04:06:31 PM »

Chadzilla wrote:

> Chris K. wrote:

> This is a false, but not uncommon, misunderstanding.  GREAT
> WHITE had nothing whatsoever to do with the financial
> failure of Film Ventures International.  That was caused by the
> flopperoo of the Bo Hopkins/Wings Hauser starrer MUTANT
> (aka NIGHT SHADOWS in 1984), a full four years after the
> fact.  Montoro didn't loose much with the GREAT WHITE
> fiasco.  Universal sued for copyright infringement (saying the
> movie borrowed far too heavily from both JAWS 1 and 2,
> which, to be brutally honest, it did - then again, this is an
> Italian rip-off, so that is expected) and had made a deal with
> the Italian producers to not have the movie commercially
> distributed in America.  Montoro lied to the Italians, saying
> he had cleared up the legal hassles.  Universal sued only to
> have the unapproved distribution halted.  Which is what
> happened.  But GREAT WHITE played in enough venues
> during its brief run to make a buck.  The Unknown Movies
> website has an interview with a veteran of Film Ventures where
> he shares a few details about the studio and its infamous power
> abuses.

Thanks for the clarification on the story. The story I have always heard was the one I mentioned earlier and is most often the one that is told for the downfall of Fim Ventures International. Even so, I felt that the similarities between JAWS and JAWS 2 in GREAT WHITE were very small, but it's been a while since I viewed my crummy bootleg of Castallri's shark flick so I might have to watch it again. But then, GREAT WHITE was sure as Hell better than JAWS 2 that's for sure.

As for the unapproved distribution that Speilberg and Universal sued for GREAT WHITE, I do remember at one point reading that both demanded some payment, but never got it and are still waiting. But now after what you have just told me, I won't confirm it as true or not. Place it in the rumor mill.

As for it being more fun and exciting than JAWS, hey I appreciate the underappreciated. I won't say it's superior to JAWS, but I will say it was more engaging and better paced. And yes, Bill Lustig are you listening? If not, how about John Sierabella's Shriek Show?

Another thought: Spielberg and Universal sued due to the "copyright infringment" of a film that they made. But if you think about it, as much as it is claimed that Speilberg came up with the whole concept it was Peter Benchley and his novel that created the concept. Looking at it this way, it would have been Benchley that should have sued, not Speilberg or Universal. In either case, I still felt it was quite ridiculous of Speilberg and Universal to make a fuss over a low budget Italian film. As I said earlier, they didn't make a fuss over PIRANAH.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2003, 04:57:36 PM »

No problem.  I thought Great White had sunk FVI as well.  From what I heard, the company was struggling and, rather than declare bankruptcy, Montoro just grabbed the assets he could and ran, leaving everybody else high and dry.

The litigation in regards to Great White stemmed from breaking a supposed legal agreement.  I'm sure Universal tried to sue for damages (i.e. a slice of the gross profits it felt intitled to), but was not awarded any.  Frankly I do not think a damage reward was deserved, evidently the court did as well, as none appears to have been given.  Peter Benchley seems a pretty decent, level headed (and very unstuck-up) fellow, I doubt he would have had much to do with this ruckus.

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, so I'm biased.  As far as the shark sagas fall, I rate as follows

1. Jaws
2. Jaws 2 - a perfectly passable summer movie, my favorite of the sequels.
3. Great White - decent rip-off that has its moments, but a few dead parts.
4. Jaws 3-D - Richard Matheson wrote THIS?
5. Jaws the Revenge - Oh man, what a nightmare!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
SkullNinja
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2003, 12:43:58 PM »

1. Jaws
2. Jaws 2 - a perfectly passable summer movie, my favorite of the sequels.
3. Great White - decent rip-off that has its moments, but a few dead parts.
4. Jaws 3-D - Richard Matheson wrote THIS?
5. Jaws the Revenge - Oh man, what a nightmare!

And where does Orca fall into this list, Chad? I know he's not a shark, but I definitely got a Jaws vibe from it.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2003, 02:10:59 PM »

Oh boy, probably somewhere between Jaws 3-D and Jaws the Revenge.  It's not as fun as Bruce the Mechanical Shark playing Revenge of the Creature, but it is not as mindnumbingly dumb as Jaws the Revenge, though it comes pretty dang close.

Piranha falls nicely between Jaws and Jaws 2.

Chadzilla
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What directors would you like to make pay for making bad movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.