Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:49:25 AM
714509 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  That's Really Clever « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: That's Really Clever  (Read 4499 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 13, 2003, 10:00:52 AM »

Has there ever been a really minor gag in a movie or TV show that just struck you as especially well crafted? I mean, one that is so minor that it gets you a funny look if you say so.

For example, in the Bible stories episode of the Simpsons, when Adam (Homer) gets the unicorn to dig under the fence and it keels over dead. God (Flanders) exclaims "My unicorn! Oh Gary, what did they do to ya?"

I laugh my ass off at that line. I mean, giving something extraordinary, like a unicorn, a very ordinary name is a somewhat amusing old gag, but the writers picked a name that was just far enough outside the really really common names to make you say "Gary?" It just takes the joke to a whole other level.

My wife thought I was nuts when I told her this. She's probably right.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 10:07:50 AM »

One of the biggest laughs I ever got was from Woody Allen's BROADWAY DANNY ROSE. Woody plays an entertainment manager and one of his clients is a lounge singer. Woody is helping the guy figure out which songs to sing in his next show and his says:

"I thought you could start out by singing My Funny Valentine . . . with the special lyrics about the moon landing."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Johnny Blister
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 12:48:23 PM »

Anything that comes out of the mouths of Mike,Joel,Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot is well crafted.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 02:21:15 PM »

The scene in Jabberwocky when one of the prisoners escapes in a cloud of dust, and when the king discovers that they only have one of the two left, he decides to charge the remaining prisoner with cannibalism.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 04:29:37 PM »

Pretty much any Mel Brooks movie. Always has amazingly classic lines. Mel Brooks = comedic genius in my mind.

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 04:58:10 PM »

"Raiders Of the Lost Ark" - Indiana Jones shooting the sword wielder in the market while looking for Marion
"Temple Of Doom" - Indiana Jones about to do the same thing again...and realizing his gun is missing

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 05:08:21 PM »

The Simpsons are so friggin' full of this kind of humor. It's a real subtle humor that knocks you off your chair because for some reason you got it. Some of my Simpsons favorites come from the episode that plays off of Mary Poppins, "Cherrie Bobbins." The freakin' best part of that episode is when Cherrie Bobbins takes off with her umbrella at the end, and floats away in the back ground while Lisa and Homer talk about how they'll see her again sometime, and then a jet plane comes by and sucks Cherrie Bobbins into the jet intake, and spits her out the back in pieces. Brilliant, I must say. Simply brilliant.

Scottie

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
Perk
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 05:47:57 PM »

Space Ghost Coast to coast has  alot of these things.  Like the episode where Space ghost is talking to Sarah Jessica Parker and he says.   "Would you like to have some of my sex.........with me?"  Or when Moltar says "You didn't even take your clothes off." and Space ghost rreplies "Of course not.  It was sex."

The Brak Show has similar things  like when Zorak asked Brak what he wanted to do and Bak says "Do you want to make love to me darling?"  I fell on the floor laughing for about 5 minutes after that .

Well that was fun...in a f****in' sick, terrible, not at all fun kinda way.
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 06:39:58 PM »

I love the end of the episode AndyC cites: without having played the episode as an "alternate universe" story or anything like that, they actually sent the Simpsons to Hell itself...with Homer rushing in because he smells "barbecue." (Which actually turns out to be the case; Homer screams in abject horror because they're out of potato salad and the coleslaw has pineapple in it.)

Funniest of all in that final scene, Lisa begins to rise up to Heaven, escaping eternal damnation--but Homer pulls her back. Homer: "Where do you think YOU'RE going?" Lisa: "Daaaaaad!!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 07:00:34 PM »

The "Look out for that bear trap." bit in "Cannibal!  The Musical."  They are walking along and the one character nonchalantly says it to the other, who promptly puts his foot in the trap just as he looks down.

I have also given up explaining multiple funny scenes from "Real Genius" to a generation raised on out-and-out in-your-face humor that entirely involves orifices and genitals.  Sure, the movie had college level humor, but some parts really get me laughing.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Apostic
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 08:20:13 PM »

The "Olde Fortran" brand of malt liquor in Futurama.   Older (40+) computer professionals may remember when Fortran progamming was a relatively macho activity, compared to, say, Pascal and Cobal.  (Yes, emphasis on the word "relatively" here.)

So I laughed and laughed and felt old when I had to explain it...

Cf. "Real Progarmmers Don't Use Pascal" (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html)

Regards,

Apostic
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 08:42:41 PM »

So I laughed and laughed and felt old when I had to explain it...

That's just barely enough before my time of having lived through it that I've heard the stories enough to get the jokes

=======================
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 08:53:10 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:

> "Raiders Of the Lost Ark" - Indiana Jones shooting the sword
> wielder in the market while looking for Marion
> "Temple Of Doom" - Indiana Jones about to do the same thing
> again...and realizing his gun is missing

Actually Feerless, that part with the swordsman was not in the script! It was supposed to be a long exciting swordfight. However, Ford got hot and noticed he hadnt used his gun at all, so in order to make it back to the trailer for a bathroom break, shot the actor. Spielburg loved it so much, he left it in the script.

I also love ZOolander and South Park for its low brow humor

Zoolander: "maybe somebody will be reading our eugoogoly" (misprononouncing eulogy)

South Park: "We will see you when ever Jesse Jackson becomes president"
"Hey, Jesse ackson will never be president"
Quiet, he doesnt know that"

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Fearless Freep

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 09:48:23 PM »

Actually Feerless, that part with the swordsman was not in the script!

Yeah, I'd read about that and seen it talked about in some "Making of..." footage.  I think Harrison actually was sick at the time.

What's so cool about it is that most 'heroes' would've just fought it out.  Having him just shoot the guy made a lot more sense then you usually see. but it was so atypical that it was a good laugh

=======================
Johnny Blister
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 09:50:01 PM »

Good...bad...heĀ“s the guy with the gun!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  That's Really Clever « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.