Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:48:37 PM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Non-functional banner ad games « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Non-functional banner ad games  (Read 1579 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 11, 2003, 03:50:21 AM »

Occasionally, I'll play one of those stupid little banner ad games where you have to shoot a moving target. Usually, they're so easy that it's hard NOT to hit it. Lately though, I've been seeing a bunch of different ones on this site, but none of them seem to work. I recall seeing ones were you shoot clothes, a fudge sundae and one where you try to pin a mustache on a moving face. None of these work. I can move the crosshairs, and it seems to respond to the mouse button, but nothing happens no matter how how many times I hit the target.

I only mention this because if they don't work, this site isn't getting any benefit from showing them. Is it just my system or do they fail for anyone else as well? I'm using IE 5.5.

One that DOES work is the moving bullseye one, which has been around for quite a while now. All these new ones look like someone just took the source and put different images in it.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 08:01:47 PM »

I never play em cause they usually take me to a website I don't want to go to.

I do admit that if it's a really creative one I'll take a shot at it every now & then!
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 08:27:45 PM »

all the ones I've ever played no matter where you shoot/click it would go to the site anyway. :P

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
JohnL

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 04:12:15 AM »

>all the ones I've ever played no matter where you shoot/click it would go to the
>site anyway.

I just got one that said Win a free laser pointer and it had a figure that looked like a Simpson's character going back and forth. The sight moves, it make a visible shot effect when I click the mouse, but no matter how much or where I click, nothing happens.
raj

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 10:18:30 AM »

I got the same thing for the McDonald's one.  Don't think I could stand eating $10 of quarterpounders anyway.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 11:03:32 AM »

JohnL, try downloading the I.E. 6.0 Service Pack.  It's on Microsoft's main site, should cure the problem.  Take it from me, I'm tech support.  :o)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 11:09:30 AM »

>JohnL, try downloading the I.E. 6.0 Service Pack.

So these are something new that only works in IE6? I'm still using 5.5. I'd heard that some people had problems with IE6 under Windows 98.

>Take it from me, I'm tech support.

In that case, would you know of any way to get an older version of Media Player (6.4) to support WMV9? I really don't want to install the bloatware that is WMP9, but lately I've downloaded a few WMV files that won't play. Media Player says it's looking for a codec, then gives up and tells me it couldn't find one.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 11:51:55 AM »

So these are something new that only works in IE6? I'm still using 5.5. I'd heard that some people had problems with IE6 under Windows 98.

I'm not sure that installing a service pack to a browser for the sake of playing banner ad 'games' is all that great an idea.....

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
raj

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 12:30:20 PM »

Microsoft still has 6.4 available:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp
JohnL

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 07:21:51 PM »

>Microsoft still has 6.4 available:

Yes, I know, I *HAVE* Media Player 6.4, but it refuses to play WMV9 files. It searches for a codec and then claims it can't find one. The standard answer is that you need to install Media Player 9 to play WMV9 files, however I do not WANT to install Media Player 9. It's big, bloated and comes with 'digital rights management' features that I do NOTwant on my system. From everything I've heard, the later versions, like version 9 are no longer just a audio/video player, they're a gateway for Micro$oft to download additional software to your system automatically. Whether that's true or an exaggeration, I'm not sure, but I don't like the idea of having to upgrade software that works perfectly well, just because Micro$soft decides that you need to install their latest bloatware just to play video clips made with the latest codec. I've read accounts of people installing WMP9 and then having trouble with other players and even playing certain audio/video files that used to play fine before.

Maybe they built the codec into Media Player 9 and there's no other way to get it, but there is absolutely no reason that a WMV9 codec couldn't be made for the older versions. The only reason that WMV9 don't play on the older players is that Micro$oft wants all the Windows using sheep to upgrade to what THEY think everyone should have.
raj

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 10:25:12 AM »

Try this website:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm

It's got lots of links to various media players.

The download page has a lot of links, there are a couple to Divx 5.05.  Be warned that the free Divx 5.05 PRO version contains ad/spyware (Gator).

HTH
Johnny Blister
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 11:19:36 AM »

Oh great,more ununderstandable techno-babble.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Non-functional banner ad games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.