Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:47:27 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Violent futuristic sport... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Violent futuristic sport...  (Read 1670 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 24, 2003, 11:47:33 PM »

Tonight I watched this movie, set in the future, where a violent sport has replaced war. The players skate around an arena bashing into each other, trying to get control of a metal ball that is fired into the arena, and then put it in the goal. I'm sure everyone here knows what movie I'm talking about: Futuresport.

Starring everyone's favorite action star, Dean Cain! Also starring Vanessa Williams and Wesly Snipes.

Hmm, I wonder where they got the inspiration for this one...
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 11:52:18 PM »

Dog-gone!  How did I miss this movie entirely?  And it is on DVD too!  Is it at least better than the remake of "Rollerball?"  I guess it has to be...

Well, now I know what to order with my "Blood of Heroes" DVD.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 12:11:14 AM »

I saw it a few months ago.  It was ok.  I can't compare it to the new "Rollerball" as I've only seen the original.  It was pretty cliched, but not bad entertainment.  

The casting with Dean Cain as the hero and Snipes as the 'vetern who comes out of retirement' was odd.  They should've had Snipes as the hero and someone else in his role.  The premise of a 'winner take all' game to decide the fate of the world was a bit groan inducing.  But the action was fun

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JohnL

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 01:31:49 AM »

>Is it at least better than the remake of "Rollerball?"

I didn't see the Rollerball remake. In fact, I've never seen the original either...

Futuresport isn't a great movie, but at least it was decently made. Effects were limited to a few shots of people using hoverboards and some video displays. Actually, even though several of the players are supposed to be using hoverboards, it's fairly obvious that in most of the shots, they're just using fancy skateboards.

Cain is a star player who cares more about his image than his team, but who learns the meaning of teamwork when they have to play an important game. Throw in some terrorists who kidnap his new girlfriend (WIlliams) in order to get him to throw the game, a rescue with the players using their skills to beat the terrorists, some (very little) tension caused by players being forced to switch teams, a minor doublecross and then mix well.
JohnL

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 08:52:21 PM »

For those who missed this, SciFi will be repeating it this Thursday at 9pm (EST).
yaddo42
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 08:45:58 PM »

It's also readily available at Wal-Mart in the $5.88 DVD section.
Haze
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 12:16:41 AM »

Well, I must say that it isn't horrible, but it is not all that exciting. If you liked either Rollerball then you should be alright with this little turd. I thought it was okay but groan inducing and gets pretty slow frequently.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 12:32:12 PM »

The original ROLLERBALL is fairly interesting, and has a VERY 70s look about it. (Did you ever notice that filmmakers in the 70s assumed that, in the future, men would continue to wear turtlenecks, ankle boots, and sideburns, and African American's would still style their hair in big afros?) Take a look at ROLLERBALL, SOYLENT GREEN, ZERO POPULATION GROWTH, LOGAN'S RUN, THE OMEGA MAN . . . hell, even Woody Allen's SLEEPER!

My only problem with the original ROLLERBALL is that it's too long (over 2 hours) and tends to drag in places. It also gets a bit too preachy. I haven't seen the remake, but it looks like a typical MTV-based movie.

Post Edited (06-02-03 12:32)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Damien01
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 12:59:08 PM »

The original ROLLERBALL is fairly interesting, and has a VERY 70s look about it. (Did you ever notice that filmmakers in the 70s assumed that, in the future, men would continue to wear turtlenecks, ankle boots, and sideburns, and African American's would still style their hair in big afros?) Take a look at ROLLERBALL, SOYLENT GREEN, ZERO POPULATION GROWTH, LOGAN'S RUN, THE OMEGA MAN . . . hell, even Woody Allen's SLEEPER!

Funny how you said that... In my Script "The Next Mission" which is set in the future I wanted it to match the 1970's style so I written it in as the (Late 1960's Early 1970's so called Future Style)

:D
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 01:14:38 PM »

on this board that Andrew and I are the only two who have suffered the indignities of the new ROLLERBALL.  See what you're missing?

Gerry's ROLLERBALL (2002) review

Post Edited (06-02-03 13:15)
Haze
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 01:27:21 PM »

What is really wrong is that I was going to buy this movie... But I am deciding to see the original first.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Violent futuristic sport... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.