Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:08:17 AM
714520 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT Couple things that might be of interest... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT Couple things that might be of interest...  (Read 3901 times)
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2003, 12:01:11 PM »

oh.  i don't play online video games.  but that is a good use for high bandwidth...

..."Tease" - JohnL
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2003, 06:09:09 AM »

>I think it uses chemicals. They're gonna make it so once you open it and oxygen
>hits the surface of the DVD it won't work after 2 days. So as long as its still in the
>package it will be okay.

Hmm, if that's the case, I wonder if spraying the entire DVD as soon as you open it, with a clear sealer would stop it from degrading?

>I don't like the idea of it though it sounds like a garbage nightmare.

Me either. It would be fine if they were free, but I don't like the idea of paying money for something of limited use. A local bargain store sells older software for $4.99 each and just the other day I bought three games. I was looking at the boxes last night and I noticed that one of them was marked (in small print) "Special Edition* Contain three levels from the full game!" Later today it's going back to the store. If I wanted the demo, I would have downloaded it!

>As for restrictions with other types of connections, well they're already here. We
>also have satellite services that we offer to our more rural customers. Your
>speed drops with the more downloads you make. Say you make a download of

I don't have broadband because I can't afford $50 a month, but if I did and an ISP pulled this crap, I'd cancel my service double-quick. In fact, if they advertised unlimited usage, I think I might even go so far as to report them for false advertising. If I'm going to pay for highspeed access, I'm going to want it for downloading and maybe the occasional upload.

>100megs. Your bandwidth will then go down from 500k to around 450k, and it
>drops progressivly from there.

Can you please provide more information on this? Is this per download, per day or what? In other words, does the speed reset after a certain point, like when the download finishes, or does it just drop down and stay there no matter what the user does? Is this only for downloads from web sites, or does this just go by the entire amount of data transferred? Will it still kick in if the user is watching streaming videos?

Lastly, is this policy clearly made known to your users?

>As for P2P services, I recently recieved an email here in the tech support office
>from Waner Bros. One of our customers had traded Matrix Reloaded online.
>Warner Bros caught their I.P. and wanted us to cancel their service.

And did you? I could be mistaken, but I don't think they have any legal grounds to ask you to do that. From what I've heard about the DMCA (which I think is a very bad law that should be repealed), they can only ask you for the user's information and then it's up to them to take action.

>what the heck is high bandwidth for if we can't use it to download and trade files?

I agree!

>why don't they fix the radio so people can't tape from it?

I hate to tell you this, but there are actually some groups working on things like this. I have no idea if they'll ever succeed, or get hardware makers to go along with it (without buying new laws I mean), but the idea is to put a digital 'watermark' into all videos and music and then to make every device capable of recording look for that watermark and refuse to record if it finds it. So if someone tried to bootleg a movie from the theater by using a camcorder, it would see the watermark in the film and shut off.

>it is fair to tell them "New Technology bad! don't use!"?

They've done it before, that's why you can't buy digital tape recorders here in the US (I mean consumer models). The record companies were afraid that people would use them to make digitally perfect copies of CD's.

>should i just drop 'em, bend over, and let the RIAA show me what the boys like to
>do to pass the time in jail?

Must you inject sex into every post??? :)

>maybe they should come a'knockin' on our doors and see who all taped Cher's
>farewell concert. because surely enough, next time they pop it into their VCR and
>enjoy the music, Cher won't be getting paid for it.

I could be wrong, but I think even that might be technically illegal since the recording of TV broadcasts is intended only for time-shifting of shows.

Of course they know that people do it, and nobody really cares. I tape some TV shows to keep and I've even copied them for people that missed the airings and wanted to get caught up before the next episode. This is illegal to do, but nobody is getting hurt by it, so going after people who do this isn't a big priority. Of course if the various media groups get their way, there will be provisions in the digital TV standards that will prevent you from doing this, or even loaning your tape to a neighbor to watch. They haven't had too much luck getting their lackey's in congress to pass such laws yet, so they've been meeting in secret (well, semi-secret) with the companies who make TV's, VCR's etc, and trying to pressure them into including 'digital rights management' AKA copy protection, into the standards. Jack Valenti and the MPAA are leading this idiotic operation :<
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2003, 07:45:43 AM »

Q:"Can you please provide more information on this? Is this per download, per day or what? In other words, does the speed reset after a certain point, like when the download finishes, or does it just drop down and stay there no matter what the user does? Is this only for downloads from web sites, or does this just go by the entire amount of data transferred? Will it still kick in if the user is watching streaming videos?"

A: The bandwidth will stay that way for the entire month, until the new billing cycle rolls around.  The service is 39.95 per month, but as I said there is the bandwidth cap.  The more you download per month, the slower the connection will get.  The company who owns the actual SATS isn't a very big company.  We have atleast 600 customers with them at the moment, and they only have 3 offical tech support workers w/ their company.  Which means that we are stuck with the SAT calls....which are the hardest to troubleshoot...off topic.  Anyway, I think if you download up to 2GIG in a month the speed will eventually drop off to around 64k per second.  Still better than Dial Up, but sucks compared to the 500K

Q: And did you? I could be mistaken, but I don't think they have any legal grounds to ask you to do that. From what I've heard about the DMCA (which I think is a very bad law that should be repealed), they can only ask you for the user's information and then it's up to them to take action.

A: I have no control over who gets cut off.  That is left up to the head honco here.  If it were up to me, I would not cut the user off, but let's just say that the user will be trading movies for a long time to come. ;)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
JohnL

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2003, 12:50:00 AM »

>The bandwidth will stay that way for the entire month, until the new billing cycle
>rolls around.

That sucks. If I had broadband, Id be downloading a couple gigs every couple of days.

>I have no control over who gets cut off.

Well, by "you" I meant the company.

Thanks for the reply.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT Couple things that might be of interest... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.