Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:44:58 PM
714406 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Help me start an Anime collection « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Help me start an Anime collection  (Read 8845 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 13, 2003, 04:15:27 PM »

My DVD collection is seriously lacking in one area.

I have ZERO . . . yes, ZERO . . . anime DVDs!

I have not ventured into this sacred world, and I know almost nothing about it.

Someone help me.

Which titles should I start with to "break me in?" I wouldn't know one from another, and I don't want to start off buying crap.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 04:38:07 PM »

Everything by Miyazaki, that would be:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Nausicaa (not out on Region 1 DVD yet)
Castle in the Sky
The Castle of Cagliostro
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro

Grave of the Fireflies
Akira
Fist of the North Star
The original Macross movie (usually called "Clash of the Bionoids")
Metropolis
Black Magic M-66
Baoh

Also cool and worth seeing:

Perfect Blue
Appleseed
Battle Angel
Lupin the 3rd - series, "Castle of Cagliostro" was pretty much the movie version
Gunbuster, episode #6
Ninja Scroll
Neon Genesis Evangelion - a big series
Bubblegum Crisis - always liked the orginal series, especially #5

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 04:40:32 PM »

--singles--
Perfect Blue
Ghost In The Shell
Akira
Vampire Hunter D
Battle Angel
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Ninja Scroll

--series--
Bubblegum Crisis
Ranma 1/2

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 07:31:18 PM »

Among the excellent choices already mentioned, I recommend:

the series Urusei Yatsura - Funny as hell.  About the world's biggest lech, his electrifing alien fiancee, and the weird things that happen around him.  This sucker is a MAJOR influence on a lot of other anime, such as Tenchi Muyoand Saber marrionette J[/u] (both of which I also recommend.).   Urusei Yatsura is also a LONG series.  And an old one; the animation is quite dated

the series Cowboy Bebop - An excellent sci fi series about space bounty hunters.  Funny, exciting, and a whole lot more.  Some episodes are more style over substance, but it's definately worth watching.

the series Escaflowne - The story of a girl who journies to a magical world where sword duels sometimes takes place using giant robots.  This one's really entertaining

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 08:51:34 PM »

For me my favorite was always Crying Freemen.
I believe Star Blazers is also out on DVD now. I have season 2 on video would love to have it on DVD

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Wycked Nick
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 03:20:28 AM »

The best ones I can think of are
Vampire hunter d:Blood lust.the year 2000 version
princess mononokee
spirited away
escaflwone(not sure how its spelled)
Robot carnival
Ghost in the shell
Metropolis
Perfect blue
Jim Hepler
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 03:09:53 AM »

Trigun is the only one I have.  It's pretty much the only anime (well, partial exception for Vampire Hunter D) I've had a strong urge to rewatch.  Movies/TV shows I know I'll watch again are what I buy.

Trigun is fantastic, but its occasionally very Japanese sensibilities might be confusing.  I suggest getting the Chinese set, which is 4 discs in a case as thick as two DVD boxes.  The box set has the advantage of awful dubbing and better subtitles, and the subtitles are indeed sometimes weak, but the Chinese release is $120 cheapear.
Brock
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 11:04:43 AM »

Blue Seed.  Definitely Blue Seed.

I'm pretty sure that "Kodocha no Omocha" aka "Child's Toy" is only available through fan-subtitled internet bootlegs, but it's so worth it.  It's little kid anime, but it's absolutely hilarious.  I'm pretty sure that this was the show that got the rep for giving kids seizures a while back.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2003, 10:26:37 PM »

Seriously man, do NOT get Princess Mononoke, while well drawn, the plot drags and the movie is so ridiculous.

I would say Vampire Hunter D is pretty fun. A

As for series, I reccomend Tenchi Muyo, Dragon Ball Z (the Cell saga and/or the Vegeta saga, there is not so much posing in these) and the best anime ever....

Inuyasha

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 11:38:43 PM »

Evan3 wrote:

> Seriously man, do NOT get Princess Mononoke, while well drawn,
> the plot drags and the movie is so ridiculous.
>
> I would say Vampire Hunter D is pretty fun. A
>
> As for series, I reccomend Tenchi Muyo, Dragon Ball Z (the Cell
> saga and/or the Vegeta saga, there is not so much posing in
> these) and the best anime ever....
>
> Inuyasha

Princess Mononoke's plot drags and is ridiculous... and yet you recommend Dragon Ball Z, even though one of the character's battles (though supposedly only three minutes or so long) covers the better part of four episodes...

A-huh.

This isn't to say I think Dragon Ball Z is a bad choice; I like it.  I just can't accept it as being better than Mononkoe.

(But then again, who's asking me too, right?)

Back on topic - Another couple of good picks would be:

Project A-ko - The story of three high school girls.  The first has super powers, the second is frightening to the extreme (in an allegedly cute sort of way), and the third is a demented super genius with far too much money and time on her hands.  Add a rivalry between the first and third over the second, mix with alien invaders, and you have one of the best Animes.  Ever.

Record of Lodoss War - What the movie Dungeons and Dragons should have been.  I can only speak for the original series here, but this fantasy adventure is one of the best.  It's the story of a young warrior trying to find his place in a war against various Evil powers.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
NiGHTS
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 01:38:03 AM »

I'll the my two cents in here, lurker though I am I'm a big anime geek.  I'm going to add another movie to the Miyazaki list, one called Porco Russo.  It's about a man during WWI italy who just happens to be an anthropomorphic pig.  Trust me, it's not as dumb as it sounds, and it's actually probably one of the better movies that I've seen.  It's probably number three in the list of Miyazaki movies.  Also, little known, Miyazaki and his longtime collaborator Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, whisper of the heart, co-founder of Studio Ghibli) had their hands ALL OVER the Lupin III series, and made the Castle of Cagliostro movie with essentially the staff that would become Studio Ghibli.   In terms of other movies...

I'm going to suggest..Metropolis, for one.  Imagine what would happen if you took a Max Fleischer cartoon and set it in a universe verysimilar to Lang's movie of the same name.  Then anime-ize it.

Secondly, a four-episode miniseries, Macross Plus. Probably one of the best anime miniseries ever, breathtaking animation, simple but gripping plot, and even a decent dub!  Whoo!

Finally, a request: If anyone can find a few things from my childhood, I'm willing to pay top dollar.  1- A movie called Phoenix 2772.  2- Movie called 'Unico: To the Magic Island'.  3- Dance for me.  Not a movie, just do it, please. 4-Finally, a collection of anime shorts entitled 'Memories'.  Whew.

--NiGHTS

NiGHTS

"Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana." --Groucho Marx
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 02:30:37 AM »

Forgot to add "Galaxy Express 999", as well as "Arcadia In My Youth" and any related title you can find.

=======================
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 02:33:13 AM »

The thing I find with anime is, if it's good it's really really good.  If it's even a little bit not good, it sucks mercilessly.  Dragon Ball Z is one of the worst things I have ever watched.  The stories are retarded, the animation is awful, no redeeming qualities at all.
I'm glad to see someone mentioned Iria.  While the live-action Zeram movies are cool, that is one of my all-time favorite animes.
But I am ASHAMED of all of you because no one mentioned Evangelion.  This is probably the coolest anime I have ever seen, some of the stuff in the later episodes is truly jolting and disturbing, and the animation is excellent.  You need to pick up the Perfect Collection box set (because if you don't watch all the eps in order from start to finish it makes NO sense at all), and then pick up the End of Eva movie.  Ignore Death and Rebirth, as it's just a rehash of the last few episodes of the series with most of the action cut out and rearranged.
The battle between Unit 2 and the defense force in End of Eva just makes me itch for some good Godzilla anime.  Imagine all the cool s**t they could have the monsters do (without blue spiky hair) that isn't possible with practical effects.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Tuck
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 07:03:52 AM »

you need

VIOLENCE JACK
TOKYO REVELATION
LEGEND OF THE OVERFIEND
LEGEND OF THE DEMON WOMB
VAMPIRE WARS
BLACKJACK
MACROSS PLUS
PERFECT BLUE
SWORD FOR TRUTH
AKIRA
GHOST IN THE SHELL (dare you try and understand it?)
GOLGO 13
MAD BULL 34
BLOOD THE LAST VAMPIRE
STREET FIGHTER 2
STREET FIGHTER ALPHA
FRITZ THE CAT (dosent count but worth having anyway)
REI REI
VAMPIRE HUNTER D
FIST OF THE NORTH STAR
NINJA SCROLL
THE CYBERPUNK COLLEC TION
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION , DEATH AND REBIRTH

cant think of any more right now you know how it is when youre put on the
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 09:44:45 AM »

But I am ASHAMED of all of you because no one mentioned Evangelion.

Andrew did in the very first reply.

I've heard great things about it but haven't had a chance to see it

=======================
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Help me start an Anime collection « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.